It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:59 pm 
Ok, I'm going to try one more time here.
First of all, Suboxfreedom, I try to be careful to point out that I am not a doctor or any kind of expert about addiction. I try to be respectful of the doctor's/professiona'ls/counselor's roles in everyone's treatment processes and I certainly would never set forth anything I say as "medical advice". Any opinions or suggestions I have made to Madyson about her son are just that - opinions or suggestions. I have only approached things from my own perspective here - my perspective as a mother who, like Madyson, would be willing to do anything possible to help my child; and from the perspective of an opiate addict who has tried recovery with and without Suboxone. Of course the professionals who are treating M's son should be involved in his treatment and their recommendations should carry a lot of weight. The whole family should probably be in therapy. My sense is that Madyson knows all this and that she is coming here for support and to hear what some of us who have "been there" have to say on the subject of Suboxone.
Ultimately, M's son's recovery is in his own hands. I don't look at getting your child treatment for addiction as "rescuing" him. If I understand correctly his addiction started nearly two years ago, with the heroin use having started one year ago. He's tried to quit on his own, he's been to inpatient treatment and is now in outpatient treatment and he has relapsed with every attempt to stay clean. It sure sounds to me like he needs to try something different. He needs, along with the parents (especially if they're paying for it all) to be educated about what Suboxone does and does not do. In my opinion it would be a good option to explore. Ideally, Mom, Dad and son could meet with an addictionologist to discuss it thoroughly. I agree with you, Suboxfreedom that Suboxone can be misused. M's son has already obtained and used it illegally, so there is cause for concern there. If, however, it is determined that the young man is serious about staying clean, has a true desire to do so but has been unable to do it with abstinence-based recovery, then he deserves a chance to try recovery with Suboxone!
Subjohn - I have never said or even implied that Suboxone is a "cure" for addiction or the "end all, be all" of treatment. In fact, I think I try to go out of my way to say that it ISN'T. I completely agree with you that Suboxone should not be "picked up lightly". I don't agree that "Suboxone has caused a lot of people problems". Opiate addiction has caused a lot of people problems! Suboxone, when used properly and under the supervision of a qualified doctor and in conjunction with other addiction treatment modalities, can be a critical piece of the puzzle in treatment for opiate addiction. For me this medication has been a Godsend. It has allowed me to feel "normal", think clearly, and function highly enough to begin to move forward.
I am not trying to be argumentative and my heart is totally in the right place regarding what I have said in my replies to Madyson. My heart breaks for her and for her son. All I want to do is to help and I believe everyone else who has replied to her does as well. We can have differences of opinion and offer up our suggestions and experiences and the reader can take it from there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Madyson007,

I hope you are still reading this thread. I spent some time this morning and read you blog. This is a long entry - but I hope worth it.

I have an important question to ask.

Does you son want to be clean? (I define clean as working with doctors on a medical solution like suboxone, or 12 steps, whatever).

Here's why I ask. After reading your 'blog' - I found something VERY INTERESTING....

He bought street 'SUBOXONE' which devastated your family. I understand. Food for thought - maybe an analogy.

Here's the analogy I can think of from your entry. Again - all of this is fictional - but you'll get the idea. Let's name a person BOB. BOB is an alcoholic. He is young, but when he drinks he DRINKS big time.

BOB says to himself - everyone's on my case, I hate myself for failing, I am a complete failure in life, I have let everyone down, especially me. God, if you exist what is up? Well.. BOB thinks... I'm going to hit ESCAPE... I don't care. I'm gonna tick everyone off anyway - so I think I'll get drunk (to numb up)... but I really don't want to get drunk...but... well I'm going do drink SOMETHING!

BOB goes to get a bottle of BOOZE... Now.. BOB knows booze because he has been drunk often. He knows that everclear is pure alcohol, he knows the line of hard liquors, he knows wine, and he knows beer. He also knows that the goal here is to get checked out DRUNK...

BUT... BOB chooses 'near beer'...

Why would BOB do that? BOB knows he won't get drunk. BOB knows he might get a psychological 'high', but he is smart. He knows that he is not REALLY DRUNK...

/end-story -----------------------

Think of what your son has done. Similar to BOB in the story - he bought SUBOXONE. He said 'per your blog' :

"He says it just makes him feel more in control of his destiny."

Your son could have bought almost any drug. Just like BOB above could have bought any alcohol variety. In your son's case - Heroin, oxycontin, Perc, etc... YET he chose SUBOXONE... He also knew enough that SUBOXONE (while not truly a 'near beer' in the above story) - is choosing a 3-4 day block from other opiate effects. I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying - but by your son taking SUBOXONE - in effect - he took a medication that did not get him 'high' or 'numb' - and in effect took a drug that lasts 37 hours (average suboxone half-life) rendering him unable to feel heroin or other drugs. Suboxone (Buprenorphine) binds the receptors stronger than other opiate drugs (Heroin, perc, vicodin, etc.) - so he CHOSE to take a drug that would disable him from a HIGH for at least a couple days - maybe even 5 days or more. At age 20 - that's a long time.

Does this make sense? After reading the Blog - I would say that your son fit's the fairly classic profile of a person with the same disease I have - 'Opiate dependence' - you can call it addiction, you can call it whatever you want - but he has it. So - now the questions are many, and the answers are few. How severe is his case? Can he control it with choosing counseling and alternate stress relief techniques?

I am amazed that he chose SUBOXONE... In some ways - if his intention was to get control of his life - in some ways you should be proud of him. He WANTS to be normal - but has a disease that is stopping him.

Here's the real deal for him (and you all as a family). Treatment does not equal suboxone. Treatment is a process and a lifetime of honest and open struggle. I fight this disease, I think to some degree everyone fights this disease. He needs all the tools in his toolbag he can get. He needs support. He needs someone to say - SHAME is the match that will light the fire of your disease. He needs doctor(s) to evaluate his situation - and perhaps use suboxone as a medication to give him some space to learn to deal with letting everyone down, and to come to terms with his illness.... I am a proponent of suboxone because it is a TOOL that gives me the ability to be productive in life and make decisions without withdrawal and cravings controlling my every move. BUT... I also need forums, meeting, counseling, and/or whatever else is available to me to give me better ways to deal with triggers that trigger my use. I hope this makes sense.

BUT...

It's all down to the same question I asked before:

Does you son want to be clean?

What I read in your Blog - sounds like someone who is trying to get control and to be clean - but is like most of us - scared. Not getting the scope or the severity of the illness. Not getting why he can't say no.

PLEASE .. let me know how things are going. I am glad to take a Personal Message also (click on the title/tab above 'no new messages') and leave me a message 'lathedude' - and we can share more. Maybe we can have a chat time if you would like also, using the chat on this board. I am available. The blog was a terrific view into your situation. My feeling is your 20 year old son want's help by his actions - and you seem like the type of mom that wants to help him have a brighter tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I appreciate all of your replies more than you will ever know... I want to respond to the person that asked why would I want him to take suboxone if he is clean and the answer is simple. I want him to live a life and stay clean. Right now he is basically on house arrest, no money, no car =no using. What will happen when he gets his car back or gets a job? This is no life, this is simply existing. He was able to go to a very good university and maintain a 3.5 gpa miserable and addicted to opiates. What could his life be like not addicted??? I want my old son back...the one who cared what people thought and was excited wanted to achieve something in his life. I don't want this son who I wonder every moment of everyday if he relapsed AGAIN and cares about nothing and no one not even himself. Right now he can not do anything, I can not convince him to fill out an application for college or a job he is scared he going to relapse too.

I pray to god that he does indeed want to be clean but only he knows that for sure. I would like to think that this is his rock bottom. I have many that have told me we need to kick him out and wait until he is homeless and desperate. That he won't be able to help himself if I don't let him get there. Well I am just not ready to give up on him yet. I just can't do that. Maybe I am stupid or maybe I am just not ready yet and will one day change my mind but right now, I cant do it.

I am hoping that suboxone gives him a chance to not constantly worry about being triggered or just being plain stupid. That he can start concentrating on something different in his life. Is there something wrong with still having dreams for my son? Or should I get a reality check and give up on those dreams and just let him deliver pizza's and live at home for the rest of his life? Maybe that is my reality...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tonight I was at an AA meeting where a guy got his 18 yr coin of sobriety and I know he is on Sub from a serious car accident a couple of years ago...he does not share he is on sub but I know for a fact he has no cravings and sub helps with his pain mgmt. He lost an arm in the accident and has severe back pain. I know your son can get his life back on suboxone and not use......I know this to true...I am not a doctor..but an alcoholic and an addict. A working professional that does not get high from subs but feel normal. I hope you see a doctor and get a true plan and I pray your husband does the right thing..I am a father too and will do whatever is necessary for my boys. SubJohn....has been on this program less than two weeks I believe...apparently he has not watched any of Dr J's video or read his blog....I have read his post and he isn't even honest with us...just like AA..I choose what meetings I go to and who I listen to...and I prefer the big shots...the ones with lots of sobriety and medical doctors...not newcomers who should read and listen and learn before spouting shit they know nothing about....he may not like my response......but that's ok we all have experiences to share....go with the majority..I will pray for you and your family..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:51 am 
Madyson, I still think you are right on with your thinking. I think your mother's instinct is telling you what needs to be done and what is going to help your son the most. And that is Suboxone. I think you're absolutely right when you say that he needs to feel normal again. I remember how I felt when I was off opiates but not yet on Suboxone. I was trying. I wanted and needed desparately to stay "clean". I faked it as best I could - getting up each day, taking care of my family the best I could, going to meetings, etc. Everyday was like fighting my way out of quick sand! I was miserable! This is not my nature at all. Before opiate addiction I was full of energy, optimistic, and outgoing. During the time before I found Sub, I was none of the above. In my opinion, if your boy can have a chance to just feel okay for a while, he will begin to embrace recovery and be more willing to work on himself and his future. I'm telling you, some of us just cannot get it together, we cannot fake our way to feeling good enough to progress in recovery without some medication to assist us. Again, I think this is part of the reason the statistics are so bad for abstinence-based recovery. By abusing opiates we have 'damaged' things in our brains to the extent that we are unable to embrace our lives and our recovery until some of those damages are addressed. This is where Suboxone comes in. As so many of us have said here - it can be a huge catalyst in our recovery. I agree with ReRaise - I am very confident that your son can get his life back on track if he can have a chance at Suboxone treatment. Yes, he and the whole family will need lots of other help and support, but why not give him just one more tool by starting him on Sub.
You are not wrong for wanting more for your son. You are not wrong to not give up on him yet. You know what he is capable of and he still is capable of all those things. He has gotten very sick and the ones who love him the most need to stick by him and be willing to do anything to see him get better. Now if he want to try Sub, you're able to get him on it and he still screws up - you'll have to reevaluate everything and consider cutting him off. You can't tolerate relapse after relapse after relapse. But I think he deserves a chance at Sub.
I'm praying for you and your son too. Keep us posted. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:19 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Madyson...

I 2nd, 3rd, and agree with the above 2 posts (setmefree, and ReRaise)...

If your son wants to have treatment, I think that he will have more options sooner. Since he is 'clean' by house arrest - you are being realistic that he is probably not able yet to say no on the outside. I'm a father, and a professional too. Why would a mother deny her child a chance a treating this disease a different way. MEASURE THE OUTCOME! If he goes on suboxone for a while and get's other support and you get your son back... what is that worth? If he fails - then he fails - we all fail. This is a disease. My thought is that you let him (if he is willing) - go on suboxone under a Dr.'s care and give him 1-2 months. If he is doing better - you know. If he is still without a life, you'll know.

I have a son who was forced to go to rehab from court for Meth. He got clean and stayed clean for a while. Later, he picked up again and lost everything... know what he said? This time, I'm deciding that I don't want to live like this - before someone else decided.

If he has already bought suboxone, and it helped. hmmm.... maybe he also doesn't want to be stuck living on the street - doc shopping, stealing to support a habit, etc. You are a good mom to be there to help him if HE is ready.

Praying for all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There have been some very well written and very much on target replies. A few others... not so much.

I want to just throw out a couple more thoughts/suggestions.

1. Finding a good care team is really huge on my list of suggestions. A really good social worker, therapist and physician could do wonders for this family. This very clearly needs to have the entire family dynamic looked at.

2. I really have to wonder if this would not be a great case for either naltrexone pills or an implant. I have not seen this talked about very much on this board but it may very well be a very good choice in this case. While it will not do anything to stop the cravings, it will extend the "house arrest" as he will not be able to use. The implant would be a much better choice but if the pills could be monitored that would work as well. It would provide him with safety and time to work on the other things. It would also not leave him dependent on another opiate. To be clear - I'm not suggesting that naltrexone be used. I'm suggesting it be considered.

3. I don't think it's necessarily time to kick him out just yet. But it really scares the heck out of me when parents will do anything to keep their child from hitting the bottom that they may honestly need to hit in order to get better. I know tha parents don't want to have to live with themselves if they kick their child out and something really bad happens. However, they often don't consider that they may have to live with themselves if the support they continue to provide allows the child to continue to use and something really bad happens. It really can be a no win situation but in many cases, addicts are only able to continue to be addicts because of the support of their parents. Cut that support off and the problems become those of the addict and therefore they now HAVE to get help. All of this again strongly suggests that many times, including in this case, the parents need to get help just as much as the addict does.

I hope my points, taken with all of the others, do some good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am setting up a meeting with my son's counselor, my husband has agreed to listen. I am very hopeful. My husband is a fair man and I think he will be able to see the positives in this decision. My son, my husband myself and the counselor will make the right decision...I am informed and I have all of you to thank for that. I will keep you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 am 
Thanks for the update! So glad you are all going to meet with the counselor together. Encourage your son to be as open and honest about his feelings as he possibly can. Try to let him know that this is a safe environment for him to come clean. I have some regret regarding my early attempts at sobriety in terms of not being more honest about how much I was struggling with abstinence-based recovery. My case was different in that I was trying to hold on to my professional license and I was afraid of letting anyone know I was "failing" for fear of the reprecussions. Tell your son that the only way for him to get all the help with his addiction that he needs is be completely honest here! His future and his life are at stake. If ever he needs to get honest with himself and his parents and counselor - the time is NOW!
Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:25 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Madyson007,
Congrats on getting to the next step with your Son & Husband.. I agree completely with "S.M.F." NOW is the perfect time to tell your son that it's time for that fresh start. He can do that by getting everything out in the open with his counselor. I am very happy to see that DAD is going to take part in this as well... Just speaking from my own experience you still have a long road ahead BUT, at least you are on the pavement!!!! Like i said before if your son is as committed to recovery as you are then he should do fine! I wish you and your Family well no matter what type of recovery method you choose. I have found that Suboxone is a God send for me But, whatever the answer for your Son is... I hope you find it!! :)
Please keep us posted... Best of luck!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

WAY TO GO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Friday, February 5th 5:00 pm please keep your fingers and toes crossed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:38 pm 
You got it! I'll be praying for you all! Let us know how it goes!

Post subject: Good Luck @ The Apt.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Madyson007,
I believe today is the day for the appointment with your Son? I wish you and him the best. I hope the Dr. helps your son to get on the road to RECOVERY asap.....It maybe a long road ahead but keep your chin up. It will get better with time.
Please keep us posted on his / Your progress!!! :)
Take Care!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

As the mom of a 23 year old son who has been dealing with opiate addiction for the last 3 years and been through multiple relapses, two DUI's, and a near death overdose, I am 100% for anything that will give him a fighting chance. I see it as a disease that has to be controlled and after two weeks, it seems to be working. I'm not going to worry about duration. I'm going to be grateful for every day that he is able to be a productive person. He is intensive outpatient currently and I am looking into additional life counseling as well. My diabetic son will have to take insulin for the rest of his life to control his diabetes so if this son has to take suboxone to live a normal life, so be it. We've had more than our fair share of medical problems that our three sons did not ask for and you do what you have to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

We were snowed out! Rescheduled for Monday...thank you so much for thinking of us. Still living day to to day.

Post subject: I feel better...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It is amazing how quickly things can change in my world. On Sunday my son disappeared, I thought for sure he had relapsed. What really happened was his phone died and he had car trouble. I know this is kind of sad but when my sons phone is off and it goes to voice mail it sends me into a panic because I associate it with him relapsing. I flaked out out on the poor kid and he didn't even do anything wrong. I think I will feel a little more at ease when he is under a doctors care using Suboxone.

The meeting went well and we have set up an appointment for him to meet with a psychiatrist who can dispense Suboxone. We are not sure how the insurance thing is going to work out but we are hoping it is affordable. I hope we are doing the right thing. I still have reservations especially after what he shared at our meeting with the counselor. It seems he currently takes Suboxone 2-3 sometimes 4 times a week. He gets it from people in his out-patiant program. He uses a very low dose and finds it to be VERY effective but he really only uses it when things feel un-managable or cravings are bad I guess. He says He doesn't really experience withdrawl doing it this way. Are we crazy putting him on it full time? On the other hand I HATE that he is not under a doctors care and another secret part worries, what if he "uses" on some days and then takes that suboxone for withdrawl symptoms? Well the ball is rolling so I will keep you all posted... Continue to keep us in your prayers.

Post subject: Re: I feel better...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Are we crazy putting him on it full time? On the other hand I HATE that he is not under a doctors care and another secret part worries, what if he "uses" on some days and then takes that suboxone for withdrawl symptoms? Well the ball is rolling so I will keep you all posted... Continue to keep us in your prayers.[/quote]

Hi Madyson007
No you are not crazy... You both deserve a chance to see if a program of counselig and Suboxone under a Dr.s care will work for you? I can tell you I just passed my 1 year mark on Suboxone and it has been 1 of my best years in a while as far as my mental health goes... Suboxone doesn't cure all of lifes problems but it will help with the addiction problem more then you think!!! At least it did for me... Hang in there and keep up the hard work... it will pay divedends in the end....
Take Care & Best of Luck!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Madyson -

I know I might be the lone wolf here trying to point out the obvious. Your son IS getting suboxone to control the cravings. He is getting them just often enough that he is fighting the withdrawal edge all the time - due to the half life of suboxone. If you are not aware, I can personally tell you that spot - the edge - is the dangerous spot in dependency. It's easy to let the lies in your head win - and go back to other drugs.

Why would your son choose suboxone?

1- It doesn't get a person used to opiates or any tolerance high.
2- It blocks all (most) affects of other opiates taken while on it for days.

He is in a group where he can tell you all this?

Certainly there are issues for him to deal with. If somehow you were to make sure there were no suboxone available to him.... he would find SOMETHING - and that something could be legal pills (illegally obtained) or illegal heroin.

PLEASE feel positive that you are going to a doctor who will care for this disease! Feel positive that he is trying to do the right things with this disease - he takes suboxone, rather than OD on opiates, etc. I'm sure there is tons to the story that would make you wonder.

I can tell you from personal experience - that when I was in a spot to 'use' - if I had 2 pills in front of me - one suboxone and the other - say percocet or oxy, then, unless I was wanting to change my life - I'd choose OXY! I'd choose to get numb! I'd choose to escape. Then it'd be the horrid path of getting more to catch up, etc.

It is my prayer that you see, that he IS choosing suboxone. That is huge in my mind. Getting him under the care of a Doctor who will help him to be honest, and manage things,.... how can you go wrong?

The alternatives seem grim - especially given his desire to be 'normal.' Just my $.02. ALL THE BEST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My son has relapsed before we could get him into a program. I am not at all sure that he is ready to be in a Sub program. I think he plays games with it...he gets Sub on the street to take an opiate vacation. I am at a loss for words. His appointment with the Psychiatrist was this Friday. I don't know what to do? He can not live in our house and use...we have never thrown him out but we are very close. He has a court date on Monday? How messed up is that? He stayed clean a little over a month only to mess up 4 days before his court date? This drug is truly evil and has abducted my normal sane son and replaced him with this selfish and uncaring alien. I will leave my blog if anyone wants to find out the out come but I don't think I can come here anymore. This was my last hope...I felt I we had a plan and he had a direction. Right now we have nothing.

www.madyson007.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next