It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I need a doctor who is willing to think outside of the box. Everybody's recovering is different. But because of all the stipulations everybody goes by protocol. There's not much enforcement of substantial care in this area because of the stigma and honestly...people don't care. I am an advocate for addiction and have a book coming out. I was even approached an interviewed by someone who does segments on the today show. I am not bragging. I am just letting you know how committed I am to making a difference and how much you guys mean to me. I've been watching this forum for awhile and have posted a few times but I am cautious as to what I connect myself to because we seem to be treated as the minority and my big mouth has caused me trouble lol. This world is a different place to us. People discredit our value because to them we are "junkies". Because of this we get to see their true colors like they are pooping skittles at a rainbow. I've met judges(elected for the people BY THE PEOPLE) in the courthouse parking lot for pills. It's not just the addicts that are doing wrong. But we've been stereotyped. I have to go thru such a thick cloud of stigma just to have a conversation with someone about my situation that it get tiring. I am a lifer. I am 40 years old and have battled addiction for over 20 years. From the ages of 12 until 19 I had over 30 surgeries and I basically grew up on pain medicine. This was in the late 80's when nobody told us prescription pain medicine could do this to your life. Addiction is a sneaky demon and doesn't introduce itself. By the time it even crosses your mind that you may have a problem it's already rewired some of the chemistry in your brain. I have tried abstinence. It doesn't work for me. All I require is about 4 milligrams of suboxone a day and I even sometimes forget to take it. With bunavail it's a different story though. I am not sure what the problem is there for me. But anyway I am sure you all are familiar with how these doctors offices can be. I was in a clinic for 2 years and I have finally got my life back. This isn't about me. It's about my children. Somethings started happening in the clinic I was in that I don't agree with. My word means a lot to me and once you have lost every bodies trust and you get it back it's like GOLD to you. I left my clinic Thursday!!! And now I have no medicine nor hope of any! I can not afford the cost the doctors in my area are asking. Where I was going took my insurance. To be honest the way everybody I know pays that fee is by selling half of their script. Those are the behaviors we need to avoid!! I wish I lived close to the admin Doctor of this site because I have studied him and I have never seen a doctor that gets it and has the compassion and open mind that he does. I've even considered moving to his location lol. But that's not possible for me. Idk what I am gonna do. I have no transportation. Time is running out and I am getting sick. I haven't been in this position in over 3 years. No one cares. Residential rehab is not an option for me. My son needs me and I have no help with him. I just lost my daddy in July and now I am losing my mom to cancer. I am so scared all of this is going to be too much for me to handle. I have tried all the links and directories to help find doctors. I've called over 100 places. The numbers either don't exist or they want more money than I can produce. What am I gonna do???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Nobody is gonna respond because the truth is there isn't anything anyone knows that I can do. I am screwed. I almost believe they do stuff like what was done to me so they can catch people doing wrong. It seems the system isn't really set up to sincerely help people on an individual basis. I have made a promise to do this the right way and I have said that as long as you do right and have faith you will be ok. I have done speeches and wrote so many blogs about this. Now I am gonna be proved wrong. This is a nightmare....again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:00 am 

Hello Help.
Welcome.
I dont understand that you would walk off with no med, no plan. No stockpile.
The only thing you could do maybe ,besides calling more places and getting on waitlists, would be to ask your clinic to come back.
With the cap lifted my clinic still has a waitlist. But it is a week or so not months as it was. I do get some of the points you made in your first post. Seen it, live some of it.

You must of had a hell of a reason to walk away. Hope you find a new dr soon.

Again welcome.

Razor

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:12 pm 

Hey Help, just got onto the forum since early yesterday and ur post was the first I read.

I can really feel ur desperation and frustration with all this. I feel ur pain and cannot imagine how upset and panicked I'd be if I were in ur shoes right now. I am gonna be honest though, I wouldn't have ever willingly left my clinic without having another place to go to immediately after....no matter what was going on that I didn't like, I'd have waited until I had another place lined up. Now I realize if u got discharged, that would not have been the case obviously....not saying u were discharged or anything just explaining my point. There's a lot of ppl out there that don't have a good caring doctor or like how it's run and also a lot of shady places, but they have to stick it out for themselves until they for sure have another place lined up. I'm lucky to have a good doctor, but if I didn't, I'd still stay until I could get in somewhere else. What happened to make u leave without a backup? I'm absolutely not judging u, because u obviously have ur own reasons for leaving, just trying to understand. We as addicts, have such a hard time with judgment from others and being labeled as "junkies" and it can become too much to take at times before we just explode. It's very frustrating sometimes, we all understand that I think.

The only thing u can do is just keep trying to find ya another Dr. Or, like razor suggested, can u try to go bk to ur previous doctor? We don't know the circumstances as to why u left, but is it a possibility to go bk until u can find a better doctor? I know how hard it can be with the expense of this treatment. I pay cash because I have no insurance and it can get tough sometimes. Do u think u can just stop with no buprenorphine and still be ok without going bk out and using again? I know the withdrawal won't be fun, but will u be ok or are ya afraid of relapse?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had been going there for a over a year. I was the perfect patient. I never failed a drug test. I done just like I was suppose to do. The onething with this office was that I was never ever able to get a hold of them by phone. Their explanation for this was that they get a lot of calls. I understood that. But then it came time for another prior approval with my insurance. This is needed about every 6 months. You find this out at the pharmacy when you go to fill your medicine. The pharmacy said they'd fax the doctor to request one and they told me to call them also. I tried and could never get them. They never would respond to the faxes. I had to pay cash that month for all my meds and just wait for my appt cause they are almost 2 hours away and I have to depend on public transportation. At my next appointment I addressed the issue and they said they'd take care of it right away. My doctor also told me that there had been a huge upset with the office staff and that prior week everyone had quit but was now back. She also said she might be leaving and introduced me to another doctor that might be taking my case. He was not nice to say the least. But they called in my script and I was fine. Then at the next appt I was told I was in trouble for calling and leaving a message at a pain clinic pursuing pain medicine. This was a shock to me cause I never did anything like that. I asked to hear the message and they didn't have it. But I was told that the other doctor was going to see me anyway. He saw me and gave me enough for just a week and had me come back. After all of this I got to thinking. I don't want my file corrupted. At my next appt. I came in and asked what was in my record. I was told by someone that it said I was discharged because it was reported that I was selling my strips in the waiting room. I am on bunavail!!! You can't give them away!!! At this point I got upset. I don't understand what was happening. I questioned the truth of what was going on. Everybody was acting weird. I guess I was suppose to be so desperate for my medicine that I didn't care. But I don't like being accused of things I didn't do. So instead of allowing them to continue to corrupt my file and then discharge me on false accusations I told them that I was discharging them because I COULDNT TRUST THEM. Now I am on a mess!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the kind humble response!! I have been following this forum for years. I just rarely post. I've searched every forum relating to this online and this one is the best with true genuine responses. I tried abstinence several times for 7 and 8 months at a time. I ended up in the hospital for liver damage from Tylenol. I got addicted to benedryl trying to keep snot outta my nose. Sure the withdrawals got a little better. But I was just miserable and I couldn't function sufficiently for any kind of productive life. I am not sure if maybe it's because my brain developed on opiates or maybe the methadone messed my system up too bad. I only require 4 milligrams a day(when it's suboxone). I don't abuse it and I take it just like I am suppose to. When this is stable I am a very productive citizen and have great intentions. At what point can this not just be considered the medicine for my disease just like someone with thyroid disease takes their medicine everyday to keep them from being sick???

It's interesting cause in my studies I tried this in one of my addictions groups. One of my members came in talking about the trouble she was having with all of this. I took her post and switched her condition from addiction to thyroid disease by taking out the words and putting in new words. She got a totally different response from people just due to what condition she was talking about!! It was insulting.

At my doctors office once I was outside rolling cigarette tobacco. I am a broke bish and bagged tobacco is a lot cheaper than packs lol. One of the neighboring offices must have seen me and called the police reporting that I was outside the clinic doing drugs. Here came the police and some of the staff from my docotrs office. I told them it was just tobacco and they checked it all out and seen I was telling the truth. Then here came this women who must have been the one who called in on me. She came up to the police officer like she was kissing butt( u know what I mean) lol. She said "we've just been so scared since this addiction clinic came here....we are afraid of the sexual predators it will bring "!!! Really??? Are people that ignorant ??? Addiction and sexual predators are two different issues. I was dying to say something but I bit my tongue. Then an ambulance pulled up next door. They must have been transporting a patient to this other doctors office in this building. So I said " hurry everybody get inside!!! They might have diabetes and we could get raped!!" I went back in my office and the police officer followed me in there. He said with a crooked smile on his face "you better stop it". I could tell he wanted to laugh. I said "well I proved my point". He just shook his yes trying not to laugh and walked out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry I just keep thinking of things to share. Feels so good to have others that understand!! I understand that sometimes we have to just take what we can get. It's crossed my mind how I maybe should have just went along with them in order to get my medicine. But I have tried all of the other approaches. I did those twelve steps. I am sure a lot of you all have too. I have been put on trial against my morals all of my life. You don't know what true humbleness is until you are like us and have been told 694,734 times what a piece of shit you are. It's became accepted for people to do us like that. Imagine if we called them out like we are done?!?! Their heads would spin off!!! But u know what? It did cause me to check myself. I did all that deep self inventory. Do you see that step suggested anywhere else except addiction??? This all made me extremely humble. Plus I got to see the true good, bad and ugly in everyone. It's not just the addicts. It's not the uniform your wearing nor is it the color of your skin. ITS THE PERSON INSIDE. Honestly true recovering addicts that are seeking a way out are some of the best people I know. Sometimes in life some of us are chosen to have to go through the rough rest storms in order to find that knowledge that can only be found in the most dangerous places. I feel like some of us need to be celebrated. Other people need to be glad it was us instead of them!! We might be the reason their child chosen to "just say no". I lay my guts out in front of everybody in order to promote humbleness so we can talk about all the real issues that we face as addicts that no one else wants to talk about. But the system is going to take me down. I am not ok with just settling. Who is gonna change all of this?? Like Martin Luther King said once..."Darkness can not be overcome by darkness...only light can do that. Hate can not be over come by hate. Only love can do that."

Stigma is our biggest roadblock. People's perception is what creates it. Your perception comes from your knowledge. If you don't correctly educate your knowledge but still continue to push your perception it creates stigma. Just like what everybody is saying about all this cop brutality, black lives matter and white lives matter. ALL LIVES MATTER. There are bad apples in every bunch of everything! When you stereotype all you are doing is taking away your power to do something to change the situation. Everybody wants to reflect it all on someone else. Just like everybody wants us to be the bad guys. But they don't wanna discuss it too long or they might have to look at themselves for once!! I wanna help others and I feel I could. But now I am scared that I am gonna be took out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:47 pm 

Hi Help, Welcome! You did not say where you live. Someone else posted that they needed help with a new doc in NC. They got a recommendation immediately! Let us know where you live and if you have insurance. There are people here from all over the world! Maybe someone is in your area and can give you their Dr's name. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Absolutely! I live on the Alabama Georgia line and there is a Dr. here in Lagrange Ga taking new patients. I live in Alabama, and believe their is also 1 in Auburn AL, but the one I go to is a little cheaper and they get their patients on Medicaid what all they need lined up for them so their Medicaid kicks in right away and we don't have to pay that out of pocket 375$ a month for 60 8/2 mg Suboxone. Now I did have to pay for the first couple of scripts but the second one was actually because my urinalisis got spilled. If you are interested, message me, please and I would be glad to give you his info, or message here as well. Either way, I benefit by helping others so, let me know if you need anything. Sincerely, Angie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, It's Queenie,

I live in New York City. If you are near NYC, there are a lot of good doctors here.

Like Michellef said, there are a lot of people here. Good luck. I wish you the best. Be strong!!!!

Queenie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:34 pm 

Oh yeah absolutely, as many members as we have here, maybe someone could give ya some info on doctors. What area are ya from?