It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Depression?!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok. I've never posted in any kind of forum so bear with me please. I am currently 34 years old and have been (along with my husband) on 140mgs of Methadone from the clinic for about 12 years and before that was taking oxys and hydros but we decided to go the Suboxone route. We waited one whole week between our last dose of Methadone and starting Suboxone. We were in very bad wds. Neither of us had slept for days before starting the Suboxone because of the jerks and all that. The dr wrote 8mgs twice a day but started us on 2mg and said that if that didn't help in a couple of hours then take another 2mgs and the next day start at 4mg. We both had to take another 2mgs but then it worked great! I was so happy! I had a pretty bad headache but it was already hurting so I wasn't worried.

Anyways, that first night (which was last night) neither my husband or myself slept and, without going into too many details, this was after several overdue rounds together. I took my next days round of 4mg about 4am because it was almost time to start my day and get oury three daughters up for school. I spit out the juice from the strip because I heard it might help with headaches. It didn't. My head was pounding so bad!! I finally slept for about 3-4 hours after girls were gone to school and that helped with the headaches but I felt like crap. My second dose for the day I only took 2mgs and that helped but now I feel totally listless and depressed. I want to cry for no reason! I was always pretty happy with the Methadone but didn't like the highs and lows but this seems worse! What's wrong? Will the headaches and depression stop? My husband still can't sleep. Is that normal? Sorry for the long post!!

Post subject: Re: Depression?!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Mom!

Did you both stop at 140mgs? When switching from methadone to bup, they recommend tapering methadone down to 30 mgs and then still waiting days to induct on bup. Let us know what mg dose you guys stopped at. it matters. and how many days you waited. It might be a tolerance resetting and lowering issue which you'll learn of here and lots more on so many things. the good news is you'll be feeling better soon. Welcome to your new life on bup! A good decision!! Lots of support here. it'll get better! Let us know more info which will better help us help you. More will come along who can help. Wishing you my best, Pelican

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Pelican!

We both quit the clinic together cold turkey but had about 70 Mg's for about 3-4 days, then 25 Mg's for two days, then no Methadone at all for 7 full days. Long 7 days!! It was hell. All three of our girls do basketball, softball, and gymnastics and I have nobody else to ask to help so I was probably the most miserable/proud parent at their Opening Day for basketball Saturday! That was embarrassing because I know I was in a bad place and should've been home in bed but I can't do that to my girls. They have been through enough just having to get up cold mornings and drive 2 hours to the clinic for months. Anyways! Sorry.

I still haven't taken anymore since the second dose where I only took 2mgs but I'm still emotional and depressed and have chills and slight wds but I feel better than I did with that 4mg this morning. Is it an option to take 2 different 2mg strips about an hour apart instead of a 4mg strip at one time? Our new sub dr is very good and really talked to us (together and separate) before he let us take our first quarter of a strip for induction so I'm not too worried about talking to him again but I don't want to call him everyday. We don't have insurance and have to pay cash for both of ours so I definitely don't want to be on too much if I don't have to be.

Sorry I keep rambling but it's actually doing better just to talk. FYI, we got off the Methadone because my husband holds a CDL and was informed that Methadone is a big No-No but that Suboxone could b okay under strict Dr supervision. Anyone with experience with that? Thank u for the quick response!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Mom,

Switching from Methadone to Suboxone is not always smooth sailing the first few days. I switched from 20mg of Methadone and I remember having a few days that i felt moody and down but that did pass. My advice would be to take you full dose once a day and stay consistent in taking that dose every day. Or maybe breakup the dose in two pieces only. I would NOT take several small pieces throughtout the day. Your body will adjust to the subs. I know in the mean time it is a pain in the butt. But, your body is adjusting to a new medication and trying to rid itself from the methadone .

Try to be patient if you can. After a week, I was leveling out and feeling normal. I hope you and your husband will too. Keep posting your updates on the blog. There are many people reading and will give you the support and information you need.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank u!! But I'm supposed to take two 8mg strips twice a day but even 4mgs at once gave me a severe headache and I spit out the juices. 2mgs at a time don't give me such a headache but I can feel the wds too. I can deal with a small headache but that one this morning after the 4mg was hell!! Im scared to take more. My husband is really fighting to sleep. Is that normal?? He says he feels tired and wired??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Mom

I don't really have too much to offer, but wanted to reach out and welcome you. I was addicted to opium for 12 years and had built up a very large tolerance. It took me 4 days to feel better after a rather hellish few hours of PW the first night. But although the medication works well I still get some nausea, And it''s been almost two months. I've heard the naloxone they put in suboxone can cause headaches. i did a quick google search and there were a bunch of hits to that effect.

I'm sorry if I missed it in your post, have you spoken with your doctor? I'm not remotely qualified
to make any judgment about the cause of your headache beyond the wild guess above, but an incapacitating
headache seems like something your doctor should be willing to discuss. DO you suppose he might let
you try just a straight dose of buprenorphine?

I"m sorry you're suffering, but I'd be willing to bet you'll get it sorted out. It's a huge physical adjustment, most especially after methadone addiction.

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:52 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Mom
Did you switch so you wouldn't have to go to the methadone clinic as much?
Good luck! I can' even imagine going thru this with kids. I had a teenager living with us and trying to explain algebra while on heroin was awful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Godfrey. No I haven't spoken with my Doc yet. I think he would be willing to try something else because he had told me that there was a couple different ways that he could write it to me and asked if I had any preference. I had been reading about the strips but didnt care. The headache is there every time I take Suboxone but as long as I don't take over 2mg it's bearable. My husband finally slept some and I feel better this morning so I believe that it's just going to take time.
SisterMorphine, no we left the clinic because of my husband's work. They said Methadone was a big No-No but that he could take Suboxone. We knew that it would be hell if one of us changed from Methadone but the other still got it. We were stable at the clinic and we each only went once every 27 days. We'd been there for almost 11 years with absolutely no dirty UAs, no problems at all. Methadone saved our lives and I will always be an advocate for using it to get ur life together but I never dreamed we'd still b going that long. I hope to b on Suboxone just long enough to get all of the wds and cravings and things under control although my Doc has already said that that might take some time.
Anyways! It's day 3 and I really do feel better. Same headache but I can cope. I am trying to read every post that I can on here and knowing that this medication seems to do everyone different helps. As long as I know that I'm doing it right I can b patient.

I do have an issue about what I keep reading about constipation. Let me say that I had IBS with constipation way before I ever started taking anything so I was used to that. For some reason (probably all the Imodium AD!) I hadn't started with the diarrhea when we were going through WDs but there's something with the Suboxone because every time I take a dose, not 30 minutes later my stomach starts cramping a little and I have to go to the bathroom. It's not diarrhea but close. I haven't read about anyone else saying that but I will keep reading. My husband is the opposite and dealing with constipation. Anyone with an experience like that?? Just want to say thanks to everyone. This really helps!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Mom.

So glad that you are starting to feel better. I NOW totally understand taking the smaller does of 2mg if you are getting headaches. I do recall getting a mild headache when I first started taking Subs. Honestly, my body seemed to get used to the meds and the headaches just stopped one day . I would guess they stopped about 2 weeks in for me. I hope the same will happen for you.

You are only on a few days into taking subs, so i would say you are doing really well for that amount of time. Keep pushing through. Things will get better every day.

Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:10 pm 

Hi Mom! I admire the way you are managing to take care of your girls' needs while transitioning to suboxone. Every person who comes here transitioning from methadone to suboxone has at least some trouble making the switch. You are not alone and it will get better. I've only seen a couple of cases in over 4 years where the person was better off on methadone than suboxone. I'm sure that you will both adjust!

Headaches and nausea are two of the side effects we sometimes see during the initial transition to suboxone. In a couple of weeks, however, the side effects go away and usually we hear that the folks are feeling a lot better.

One thing I know from starting out is that my doctor wanted me to call in if I experienced any major side effects or had trouble with my dose. I'm not a doctor but my concern would be that you are not getting enough buprenorphine (active ingredient) into your system to blanket your opioid receptors.

Do you have any effective treatment for headaches that works for you? I get all kinds of headaches, including migraines, so I use everything from aspirin and caffeine to imitrex and naproxen. Your doctor may be able to prescribe something that might help with the headaches while you're getting used to the suboxone.

I think that when you are taking a full dose of your medication that the feelings of depression and sleeplessness will go away. Please keep us informed and let us know if you have more questions. Definitely get in touch with your doctor right away.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
....because every time I take a dose, not 30 minutes later my stomach starts cramping a little and I have to go to the bathroom.

Hey Mom,

Another wild guess...could be .anxiety.When I get nervous I often have to go. So if you're anxious about headaches every time you dose, that could possibly do it. Either way it's very likely something your body will adjust to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:53 pm 

Oh yes! I forgot about this one!

For some reason when I take my dose it usually prompts me to have a bowel movement. I have no idea why.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank u all for that ur comments and suggestions. I have taken Excedrin, twice a day, for as long as I can remember but it doesn't touch this headache, even though it's not too bad on only 2mgs at a time. I really don't mean to complain so much. I feel 500% better than I did three days ago so I'll be fine. I just find it crazy that so many people have so many different side effects and don't know if I should move up towards the prescribed 8mgs twice a day or stay at 2mgs at a time?? Anyways!!
I thank God that I found this site. It's helped just to talk to others that have been there or going through it. Thanx again!!

Oh, Amy, so it's not just me?? Everyone, including my husband, keeps talking about being constipated and I am usually ALWAYS constipated myself, even before using, but not after taking my Suboxone everytime. So, whew. Thanx!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:21 pm 

Nope! Not just you!

You might want to ask your doctor about trying a sumatriptan medication (imitrex) to see if that helps your headaches. It wouldn't hurt to try. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes Amy I most definitely will ask my dr. I was going to try and wait until our 2 week appt but think I'll have to woman up and call him now. Well, Monday since they closed at 12! I feel like my body is half into WDs and half into Suboxone. It's a very weird feeling and the Dr had said at induction that if the 2mg didn't help enough to go up 2mg more until it did but, as I have probably stated a hundred times now (sorry!), if I take more than 2mg at one time the headache is unbearable. I should have called earlier. I can deal with this for now. ANYTHING is better than the WDs that I had when we started. Thanx again!!!