It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: depression only
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:17 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey everyone, i would like to hear if anyone here uses sub for depression without any prior opiate usage? Any luck and if so what dose and how effective has it been. Pitfalls? I am about to try prozac again after disappointment previously. I still have some sub strips someone gave me and i am still back and forth about wether to try it at a low dose. I have been advised by a few on the board that it may not be the best idea, and im not shopping for anyone to talk me into it or out of it. Just wondering if anyone has tried for depression only.
Bill
Subcurious

Post subject: Re: depression only
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Subcurious.

I agree with others that this doesn't seem like a good idea, for a few reasons. Firstly, if you are what they call "opiate naive" (meaning you have no tolerance to opioids), taking even a small dose of Suboxone can be very dangerous. It may not be life threatening, but you could end up VERY sick from taking just 1mg.

Secondly, buprenorphine is only used in treatment resistant depression. ie it's only used when all other treatments have failed, ie SSRI's & SNRI's (with or without lithium), tricyclics, MAOI's, even ECT. Buprenorphine is definitely not a tool of first, second, even third resort when it comes to depression in people with no history of opioid use. The reason for this is that regular use of buprenorphine leads to dependence, and (arguably) the possibility of cross-addiction to other opiates.

I wouldn't advise going down the self-medication route. Keep it all kosher and do it through your doctor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with TeeJay. What other antidepressants have you been on? Many people, I think the majority even, have to try 2-3 different AD's before they find one that works.

Also, even if you did try it and it worked, then what? It will be extremely difficult to find a doctor to prescribe it for depression (especially without a long history of treatment failures). So will you keep buying it illegally?

I'm currently in Sub for treatment resistant depression (along with 2 AD's), but I was formerly addicted to opiates and was on Sub maintenance for almost 3 years. Even with that history taking my first few 0.5mg doses got me "high". Bupe is a powerful opioid and developing a tolerance is definitely a concern.

I, personally, would not recommend it to anyone. If someone is on it for opioid dependence and it works as an AD for them, that's a bonus. I can't see anyone who's not an addict starting on it, except in rare and serious cases.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks everyone. I have some options other than sub i will try. I just started prozac and will see how that goes for a while. I also take truehope empower plus which has been a godsend for 15 years, but requires a rigorous regimen of taking it. Alks5461...a bup based anti depressent will probably be available within the next year if i still want to try bup as an anti depressant without the addiction potential. Thanks again everyone for trying to keep me out of trouble or make a bad decision. I cherish the advise I have recieved from experienced people in this forum.