It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all! I'm new here so I'll give very quick intro first! I'm a 25 year old female who's been on suboxone now for 2.5 months (due to heroin addiction, unfortunately).

So I was on 4mg (once daily) but went up to 8mg 2 weeks ago as I was sweating a bit & bit of tummy pain. I thought 4mg to 8mg was a bit of a jump but doc said it was fine.

So the past 2 weeks have been absolute HELL! My muscles & joints have been unbearably stiff & sore. I did have slight muscle aches & pain whilst on lower dose but NOWHERE NEAR anything like now. However, from reading posts on this site I can see I must be on too high dosage so I'll have to go down again & see how that goes. I HOPE it helps because this pain is debilitating. I literally haven't been able to work for 2 weeks!

But my other problem is that my depression has gotten MUCH worse the last 2 weeks. It literally got much worse within a day. I've been very depressed & EXTREMELY tired & fatigued. I've always had sleeping / fatigue issues but never anywhere near as bad as this. I'm literally DEAD tired 24/7! It's killing me. It's just that I've read a fair bit about suboxone now but never read someone saying their depression got worse? (By the way, I certainly had depression before taking suboxone, but when I first started subox I had it under control at that stage).

So what are your thoughts? Could the subox be causing depression? Or am I getting so depressed purely because of how shit i feel physically? I'm not sure.. & my doc isn't helping! Also, I stared another new medication called Doxycycline 2 weeks ago (I'm on a low dose of 60mg & it's for acne). Could this medication be what's causing this? Or is it possible for the Doxycycline to mix badly with subox??

Sorry for absolutely crapping on, I just hope I can get a hold of this because it's terrible! I was starting to do so well & now I feel awful!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi. I have never responded or even registered to these sites before.. call it being shy or whatever but I just recently quit subutex after taking it for 3 1/2 years, prior to that I was on suboxone for two years, and of course before that - a plethera of prescrip pills... all that to say, I have been where you are... I am still going through some withdrawl symptoms from stopping my subutex ten days ago, but each day it gets better. But right now, where you are, is a good place. And by the way, when I first began suboxone, I was on two and a half per day... so your dose isn't unusually high... in fact, this drug is not only supposed to be helping with preventing you from being able to get high again, but it is supposed to help with those withdrawl symptoms. I saw a psychiatrist when I first went on suboxone and met with a sub group on a weekly basis to help cope. I understand completely what you are going through, so I want you to know it will get better each day you are on the suboxone... and remember that there are no set "standards" for this drug. I am about to become a nurse - and medically speaking - EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT - and I have had doctors tell me that " oh you'll feel a mild discomfort for a few days...but then you'll be fine" Wrong. You know your body. You know when you just don't feel right and when something's wrong. The only things doctors actually know about this ordeal is what they have seen and learned from their patients. So if you aren't able to function, I would call the doctor and tell them that. Initially I was put on suboxone along with an anti-anxiety medication (some form of a relaxer) but it took my body a couple weeks to adjust to my new intake... Basically your body was getting its energy and it's "happiness" from a drug (I use to tallk to myself outloud as if I was having a panic attack and I was Telling myself I was going to be ok) Now that you don't have those for energy or happiness you will feel depleted of those...it's natural... your body will have to slowly adjust to it's "New" lifestyle now... but it will. There is something you can take to help it along... I bought it when I quit subutex ten days ago and suprisingly it helped me feel better enough to go back to classes and work. I threw up for 8 days straight, could not eat ANYthing, had the strength of an infant...and NO energy... so I bought WITHDRAWLEASE (online) and that helped a little.. well, even a little help with what we go through in withdrawl pain is worth it...

I don't know if I helped you at all. I'm sorry if I didn't. But after reading ur story it make me think of myself and how I struggled alone cuz NOone ever knew what I was going through or how to help. I put myself in the hospital around 15 times one year because I played around with the meds and didn't take them seriously. You need to get on a regular dose of suboxone and stick to whatever dose makes you feel almost normal (not great of course but so u can function). Two and a half is the limit - because after that it won't matter how many you take - there is a level of potency it reaches at 2 1/2 that cannot be surpassed... anyway... so you know, I started at 2 1/2, and then 6 months later went to 2 then 1 1/2 and so on... I was on subutex for over three years ( never got sick ... not once) and then tapered down to a quarter two weeks ago...then stopped. I withdrawled hardcore for two days...then 8 medium/days... and I still don't feel 100%, but I feel better than yesterday...and the day before that.... its all you can do... get through it. Take B vitimins to help calm your body...buy that Withdrawalease stuff... take vitamin C to heal your body... and watch funny shows (that helped me w my depression) ... laughing will actually physically make u feel better... k I gotta go ... I have a busy little 3 year old :) hope that helped

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Talk to your doctor about an increase in your suboxone since you're still kind of new to it. Usually people are started out from 24mg or 18mg. I haven't ever really heard of anyone being started on such a low dose. Also did you start out on subutex for a week or two and then switch to suboxone? And also has your doctor ordered blood work on your hormone levels? A lot of us recovering addicts have fluctuated testosterone/hormones due to our previous habits and in my opinion(I am no doctor) it sounds as if that's the cause here. It doesn't sound right with what your doctor is doing so I would at a minimum see another doctor for a second opinion or have your hormones checked. There are certain meds that will balance out what you are experiencing.

I hope I was some help and I am sorry for the pain you're going through.

The number 1 thing to remember is that we are all different, and we all post our different experiences on these websites. You can't take into account that because person A had this problem that you will too.

Hang in there, work the program, and constantly remind yourself that you're doing the right thing.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there buddy you okay? Haven't heard back yet. Just remember everyone here is or will be going through the same thing you are and we are here to help you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey you guys!

Firstly, thank you both so very much for your responses! I very much appreciate the time & effort you both put in to helping me, it's a very nice feeling :)

Anyway, so just to let you know... I took it upon myself to do a lot of research on Suboxone & decided that my dose was possibly too high (8mg daily). So I went down to 4mg & within a week I was starting to feel much better! My muscles, tiredness & headaches are now almost completely gone! It's still a little frustrating as my muscles are still quite sore all the time, but absolutely NOTHING like they were before. So there's no doubt in my mind 8mg was too much for me (I possibly should have also mentioned in my original post that even though I was using herion everyday, I believe I was still using a relatively small amount compared to most other users, so possibly starting/staying on a small dose of Suboxone was appropriate?) Also, I've noticed my depression has gotten a lot better too! It literally only took a week of being on 4mg to notice quite a change in my mood. I started taking Lexapro recently too which I think gas helped me a LOT but still, my mood was definitely better the week of going down to 4mg, before I started the Lexapro. I've just recently cut down to 2mg Suboxone, which my body seems to be handling just fine. I'm seriously considering coming off Suboxone very soon. Now that I'm on 2mg, I think I might like to go taper down to as small as possible until I can stop altogether & just withdraw from it.

I've only been on Suboxone since Jan this year but I honestly feel that my life is in a completely different place now. I've done a LOT of soul searching & I've sought a lot of help for me issues & I'm now in a pretty good place, & it just seems to keep slowly moving forward (with constant effort from myself!) I don't have contact with any users (luckily I never really made friends with any other users anyway), I literally have no one I know / could contact that could get me Heroin anymore, & I would never get it off a stranger. Also, there's been plenty of times I've missed my suboxone or something like that & my desire for H has just gone down so much that it's very easily manageable. The thought of it now actually makes me feel ill. Not to say I don't get cravings now & then but they're nothing. I currently live with a very loving, understanding family who I am very open with now & I'm about to start studying to become a nurse (my dream!) So I feel I have a lot of things set up & a lot to look forward to & work hard for.

Sorry for crapping on guys, I guess I just feel I need to explain why I'd want to stop Suboxone after what I'd consider to be a relatively short amount of time. I probably would consider most others to stay on it longer, if not the rest of their lives (depending on their circumstances of course) but I believe I'm extremely lucky & have a huge support system & I know what I want & I'm working very hard to get there!

The real reason I want to stop the suboxone is because no matter what dose I've been on, I always suffer with muscle pain & tiredness. As I said, it's certainly a lot lower now than it was when I was on 8mg but I'm sick of it & really believe I can succeed without sub. Howerver, I will be 100% honest with myself throughout this process & if at any time during me coming off sub I feel I'm starting to think if relapsing or anything like that, I'll just go back on sub & accept it (a bout of muscle pain & tiredness is certainly a fair trade over being a heroin addict, that's for sure!)

Anyway, if I think anyone's interested I might let everyone know I go coming off sub, I find that there's very few stories about coming off / withdrawing from sub (& fair enough, it is a fairly new drug after all & people stay on it for a long time generally).

Thanks again you guys & sorry for my HUGE essay here! Hope it all made sense (if anyone even reads it!) because I've typed it all out on my phone :P