It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi guys :D
Well I wasn't quite sure whether to put this post in the "Suboxone & Mood" section I think its called, or here. But I think here is a lil more appropriate.
Im having a major problem :( The first about week & a half of my taking Suboxone I was feeling AND doing SO great. I was energetic, happy, and getting stuff done all day. Stuff that I had abandoned for years as an addict. But then after about those two weeks I fell back into my depression. I have started drinking vodka again everyday as well as sleeping the days away. I am so extremely exhausted...ALL I do is SLEEP ; ( It is not a "Suboxone is making me tired" kind of sleepy or a nodding out sleepy. But a depressed, unmotivated exhaustion. This sounds horrible, but Im often too sad & tired to get out of bed just to brush my teeth. Or shower! I have stopped taking care of myself :(
Im starting to wonder if more Suboxone may help. Im one of the few that doesn't really beleive "less is better." After all, my doctor told me something like (can't remember exactly what he said) the ceiling is not as low as people think it is but much much higher. He told me that if Im feeling bad, to take a little more of my Sub. I haven't really done this. Well I did take 2 maybe 4 mg's more every once in a while. But still felt depressed, still tired, oh & forgot to mention still having cravings. I want to try taking more but a problem I do have w it is I get really bad nausea. And I get headaches alot too ; ( But that's the least of it, I just want to be happy, motivated, & not sleeping the days away.
So what do you guys think? Why is Suboxone not helping w my depression & my extreme lethargy/exhaustion/complete lack of motivation among other things? Can we play devil's advocate & agree that maybe more Suboxone would help me? Help me to function better & be happy? Btw, I am on the 8 mg Suboxone sublingual strips.
Please help? ; (
Thanks <3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:43 am 

Glenbee,
Sorry your not feeling well. From what im reading here sounds like your honeymoon phase is over and you wa t it back.
Many people go though this. Many start over taking there sub chasing that good feeling. Even after stablizing has been done.
Im a less is more person. Ive experienced it myself. But thats me. Its good that you are following your drs advice.
However Glenbee, would your feelings, and moods and sleeping have anything to do with your Drinking!!
Suboxone and Booze do NOT mix. People have tried it and report just what you are saying here. Stop drinking .Start there efore you start upping your dose. 8 mgs is a good dose. Plenty imo.
Alcohol is a depressant. Get out and exercise some. It can chage how you feel Glen.. that vodka is harming you and your recovery. I would guess your dr wouldnt want you drinking, would he.?
Sub is a great tool, a d ya after the first few weeks that highly charged feeling should drop ack into a more normal feeling. This is my experience and my 2 cents here. Just be careful upping your dose. Before you know it you will be runing short or worse having a daily dose up way to high..

I know its early for you , just hang in there and drop the drinking man.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi GB,

I have to agree with Razor here. The fact that you are considering upping your dose is normal, especially if you have a doctor who is pushing that idea. Most of us feel that more is better for the first year or so until we have time to experience for ourselves how the different doses effect us. It took me getting down below 1mg to realize how strong this drug actually is, but nobody could have told me that and made me believe it until I experienced it myself. We are addicts after all, and it comes with the territory. More has always been better in the past so it must be the same for subs, right? Well, not really. But I won't push that issue with you at all. I get where you are coming from and I don't expect you to agree with me on that particular issue just yet. :D

The main thing I am concerned with is the drinking. I'm sure that you realize this is not exactly the best case scenario for someone attempting recovery. The alcohol is a depressant, and the fact that your use has escalated since getting on suboxone tells me that you are still chasing the high. Until you get that under control you are not going to get out of this funk no matter how high you increase your dose. You need to get into a good recovery program and start working on your foundations. Are you in any type of counseling or group meetings yet?

Somewhere inside yourself you know the answer to this already. You pointed out yourself that your alcohol usage has gotten out of control. You just didn't connect the dots that this is the cause of your increased lethargy and depression. Upping your dose a little bit WITH YOUR DOCTORS CONSENT isn't going to kill you, but it isn't going to fix the problem if you continue to drink. It may actually be a detriment to your recovery though, because it sets a pattern of relying on an outside substance to improve your mood when you get in a rut. I just don't think it's the answer here. If you are able to quit drinking and then still feel the depression after a month or two, I wouldn't be as concerned about your decision to increase your dose. But as of now, I think it's the wrong answer to your problems.

Does any of this make sense to you? I just want to get an idea of where you are in your head on this issue.

Keep in mind, we aren't judging you on this at all. These are things that all of us have to work though in early recovery. It's a part of the process. But, you have to be able to look at the whole picture and see it objectively if you are going to make any progress long-term.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

razor55 wrote:
Glenbee,
Sorry your not feeling well. From what im reading here sounds like your honeymoon phase is over and you wa t it back.
Many people go though this. Many start over taking there sub chasing that good feeling. Even after stablizing has been done.
Im a less is more person. Ive experienced it myself. But thats me. Its good that you are following your drs advice.
However Glenbee, would your feelings, and moods and sleeping have anything to do with your Drinking!!
Suboxone and Booze do NOT mix. People have tried it and report just what you are saying here. Stop drinking .Start there efore you start upping your dose. 8 mgs is a good dose. Plenty imo.
Alcohol is a depressant. Get out and exercise some. It can chage how you feel Glen.. that vodka is harming you and your recovery. I would guess your dr wouldnt want you drinking, would he.?
Sub is a great tool, a d ya after the first few weeks that highly charged feeling should drop ack into a more normal feeling. This is my experience and my 2 cents here. Just be careful upping your dose. Before you know it you will be runing short or worse having a daily dose up way to high..

I know its early for you , just hang in there and drop the drinking man.....

@Razor55 Hey, thank you for responding. Btw just to let ya know Im a girl, lol =) My name is Gen not Glen.
Yea, I guess that "honeymoon phase" is over. And Im sure my feelings, mood, exhaustion do have alot to do w my drinking. But I was feeling that way before I started heavy drinking again too. After my honeymoon phase was over, for about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks I went back into my shell of depression & doing absolutely nothing but sleeping. I was a "debilitative" depressed again. So then I couldnt handle it & thats when I started drinking every day. I have been doing so for about the past 3 weeks. Well I did stop for a few days to see how I'd feel, but I still felt depressed & exhausted...and unmotivated! :( Unfortunately some bad things have happened to me in the past few days making me seriously depressed (family problems, etc) & I've gone on horrible drinking binges getting absolutely drunk & out of control :( It has only added to my depression more (of course). And now I have only one 8 mg strip to last me a week bc when I was really drunk I did something to my prescription. I dont remember bc I blacked out but I think I threw them away as I was angry. This is so bad. I know I need to stop my drinking. I've just been SO depressed :(
Im really sad bc before I became a really addicted person (to my painkillers, always running out, getting sick) I was a highly motivated & happy person. I did really good in school, I always had a job making $$$, I danced alot. I love dance! I took all sorts of dance classes & did performances. I exercised all the time, I was a healthy eater & a cook. I loved to clean & take care of myself and look good. Now Im the complete opposite :( Im so depressed, tired & unmotivated I cant function anymore. Atleast before I started the heavy drinking I was able to force a smile on my face. I guess thats a good thing. And the fact that I realize I really need to stop drinking asap is good too! Well Im stopping today. But now Im left w the shame of walking outside my apartment & having my neighbors stare at me like Im a freak. My bf said that I apparently stripped naked outside our apartment when drunk & he had to pull me back inside real quick. That is so embarassing & shameful. I hope its not true =/ He says I do crazy stuff when Im drunk & now the neighbors hate us :( It sounds funny but its really shameful!
Less may really be more w Suboxone. But I do know one thing. Fairly recently I took about 6 mgs more of my Sub about an hour before bed bc I wanted to quell all these horrible nightmares I've been having. I get them EVERY night. Althought I didnt get them in my "honeymoon phase", but started getting them again after. But anyways I took that 5 or 6 mgs more that one night & I remember laying down in my bed feeling so peaceful & I had some of the best sleep in my life. I had really beautiful dreams, not nightmares. This is one example of why I think more Suboxone could be better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

qhorsegal2 wrote:
Hi GB,

I have to agree with Razor here. The fact that you are considering upping your dose is normal, especially if you have a doctor who is pushing that idea. Most of us feel that more is better for the first year or so until we have time to experience for ourselves how the different doses effect us. It took me getting down below 1mg to realize how strong this drug actually is, but nobody could have told me that and made me believe it until I experienced it myself. We are addicts after all, and it comes with the territory. More has always been better in the past so it must be the same for subs, right? Well, not really. But I won't push that issue with you at all. I get where you are coming from and I don't expect you to agree with me on that particular issue just yet. :D

The main thing I am concerned with is the drinking. I'm sure that you realize this is not exactly the best case scenario for someone attempting recovery. The alcohol is a depressant, and the fact that your use has escalated since getting on suboxone tells me that you are still chasing the high. Until you get that under control you are not going to get out of this funk no matter how high you increase your dose. You need to get into a good recovery program and start working on your foundations. Are you in any type of counseling or group meetings yet?

Somewhere inside yourself you know the answer to this already. You pointed out yourself that your alcohol usage has gotten out of control. You just didn't connect the dots that this is the cause of your increased lethargy and depression. Upping your dose a little bit WITH YOUR DOCTORS CONSENT isn't going to kill you, but it isn't going to fix the problem if you continue to drink. It may actually be a detriment to your recovery though, because it sets a pattern of relying on an outside substance to improve your mood when you get in a rut. I just don't think it's the answer here. If you are able to quit drinking and then still feel the depression after a month or two, I wouldn't be as concerned about your decision to increase your dose. But as of now, I think it's the wrong answer to your problems.

Does any of this make sense to you? I just want to get an idea of where you are in your head on this issue.

Keep in mind, we aren't judging you on this at all. These are things that all of us have to work though in early recovery. It's a part of the process. But, you have to be able to look at the whole picture and see it objectively if you are going to make any progress long-term.

Q

@ghorsegal2 Hey thank you for responding too. Im gonna get back to your reply a little later when I have a chance bc I have to get off now. But I just wanted to let you know I read what you wrote & am thankful for your reply :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am having a similar experience... I've had pretty much every side effect in the book and most recently I have become completely unmotivated and want to sleep all day. I have zero energy and just feel depressed. Ironically I am at a lower dose now only 2mg because I was so severely constipated (sorry tmi) on anything higher (stomach issues causing me to have surgery as well) although my moods were better. I have always had issues w anxiety and a little depression but this is bad. I wish I could go higher but then I suffer anywAy... Plus I would like to get off of it at some point. What's odd is initially at a bit higher dose it felt like an antidepressant I was happier but nothing like I was on opiates I just felt normal but good.. I wish I could have that back but I'm sure like everything that would end at the higher dose as well.
I know you want relief from the pain believe me but just remember like all drugs your body will build a tolerance and you will eventually have to come off and it will be harder. I just want to let you know you're not alone though.., hang in there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You do not mention in your post if you are getting professional help with your depression. I found that I was using drugs to avoid having to confront deep depression. Alcohol is a depressant and ultimately will only make you feel down. In early use of suboxone I think that whatever dose you are feel best on is correct for you. I started out at 16 mg and was feeling sleepy and unmotivated.
When I switched doctors, my new doctor decreased me to 12 and I felt great. A few years later she decreased me to 8 mg. By that time I had completed my therapy for depression and was a whole new person. Currently I am on 3 mg decreasing at my own pace to 2mg. Feeling more like myself all the time. I don't want to suggest that what I did right for you at this point. I have been on sub for 9 years and have had several years of therapy for depression to get to this place. Good luck.