All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dental woes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi it's Queenie,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I want to ask a question. I am still on suboxone 16 mgs a day. It seems I need major dental work and I am planning on going off subs. I also need surgery on the roof of my mouth for a bony growth called a Torus. Otherwise, I can't get dentures. Well, all that is fine except, I have developed a toothache and I'm afraid that if I just pop up at the dentists office & he does an extraction, I won't get adequate pain relief. I have deep roots and have always had pain after extraction. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions or experiences?

Thank you friends. Be well

Love, Queenie

Post subject: Re: Dental woes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:09 pm 

Hi Queenie!

I'm sorry you have dental woes! I need to ask a question. Are you already dosing your sub 4 times a day for chronic pain?

Also, are you planning to go off sub so you can have the surgery on the roof of your mouth? Does you dentist know your addiction and medical history? And do you have reason to believe that your dentist wouldn't prescribe ANY pain meds, or just not strong enough meds?

Can you explain more why you don't think you will end up with enough pain medication for this extraction?

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's the addict fear of pain...which I know being told that by someone makes you automatically defensive..but it's true. Instead of typing this, I should just go find my posts and copy them here...but...I'll tell you my story.

To begin with, I'm a 35 year-old man with dentures, top and bottom. Now, how I got to this point... that's a story in itself. It was a helluva journey, that's putting it lightly. I spent the first couple of years after starting suboxone (total time 6 years in july) with just minor dental problems..but I had underlying issues that were coming on strong...major tooth decay from the years of abuse of narcotics.. and when it finally caught up with me, I dealt with shit that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I remember waking up more than just a couple of times in the middle of the night with an abscess in my mouth, and going to the bathroom with a razor blade...and slicing my gum open to relieve the pressure. At the time, I had no dental insurance and no other choice but deal with the pain. And in extreme circumstances, we would save for a few weeks so I could pay full price for an extraction... and in Dec 2010, my wife landed a great job, with great benefits. So, I began the process of extracting my teeth to get rid of the problems.

Saying you feel like you won't have adequate pain relief after extraction is.. just addict thinking. Fast forward myself to January of this year...I had TEN teeth left...most of which were decaying, or broken. Of those, I had 3 that were in decent shape and still had a DAMMIT root on them.
So in January, I walked into the dentist and told them to pull the last ten...all at once.
I also requested to be gassed...but, lucky me, the gas didn't work on me. Dentist said I was one of the few that nitrous doesn't affect... and I had to deal with all ten extraction while wide awake ...
Saying it hurt is like totaling out a car and saying you got a dent... I even had to stop him 3 times to shoot more novacain because he hit places that weren't dead.
But in the end, I walked out with ten holes in my mouth, one of those was a surgical extraction also.
Since I couldn't speak, I couldn't tell him I didn't want the script of Norco he wrote... but I just threw it away when I got home.
Did it hurt... hell yeah. Are there worse pains to face in life.... obviously. I took my Suboxone in smaller amounts and more often...so the pain from having them pulled was helped greatly by the Suboxone and using it as pain med instead of withdrawal med. If you aren't familiar with this approach, then read on Suboxone and how it can be used for treatment of pain... You'd be surprised how great it can be when used in such a way.
Having teeth pulled is gonna hurt...there's just no beating around the bush with that. Hell, I had a molar that was surgically extracted, and my bottom front teeth still in tact...which have the longest roots of any (plus the two top front also)

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/813iru2sya8qw8y/a_7feJiK3w

(in the photo...the best looking parts of these teeth are the roots. If any of them were whole, they would be twice that long...but you are looking at roots only, since these were broken at the gum line.)

So... don't let fear of pain determine the path you take. That will almost always be detrimental to your sobriety. Pain is a part of life, and even if you do feel it for a day or two, it won't last forever. But the Suboxone does help, and you would be surprised how much it will help if you try that.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Amy, thanks for responding. The problem is that the surgery for the Torus at the roof of the mouth is scheduled and I plan to go off Subs and go back on when it's not hurting much anymore. What worries me is that I am developing a toothache where I have a broken tooth and don't have time to go off subs. I have to go in as an emergency. I'm afraid it might hurt enough to not get pain relief. We will find out because I'm going tomorrow. I am taking subs & Motrin and holding on.

Thanks again, I wil let you now.

Love, Queenie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jonathan,

Thank you SO much for taking the time to help me. I am going in as a walk-in tomorrow for the broken tooth. Hope it doesn't hurt much.

Your story is so interesting. What bravery. I wonder why the nitrus oxide didn't work on you? I'm planning on asking for it tomorrow. The Torus surgery will be scheduled &I will be IV sedated for that.

How did you ever do it? I admire you. It made me braver, I tell you that.

I will go forth & conquer. It won't last forever. Thank you & will keep in touch. See you on the other side.

Queenie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The dentist said there are a few people in which nitrous has no effect on. Since I've never had the need for it, I didn't find this out until age 35...but now I know..

I hope all goes well...just remember what you know. Don't let your brain fool you into believing that you're miserable...you can conquer it. At the time, I thought having 10 teeth pulled was going to be the death of me...but I just kept in mind that I wasn't hurting all that bad, and kept telling myself that over and over...

Suboxone made it to where I could lay down and doze off when I got home. Was I in pain...yep!! But did I let it defeat me..no. Sleeping was really the only thing I knew to do, as the body heals when you sleep anyway. When I woke up, I felt much better..still quite tender...but nothing I couldn't deal with. It's mind over matter... Stay positive and keep us posted.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.