It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well the thing I had worried about for the entire time I have been on sub finally happenend, I was in extreme pain and needed pain relief and it was absolutely worthless to take pain meds. I only take 1.5mgs so I hoped beyond hope that it would be a low enough dose to get some relief but being realistic i knew it wouldn't. I had to quit taking the subs and go through the procedure in withdrawal (a damn nightmare) because I was hoping by staying off it the pain meds would eventually work. Well its a week later and still in pain.

There is absolutely nothing short of a doctor giving you freaking fentanyl that would even help so in all honesty Im pretty pissed off about how there is no action that can be taken to prevent this type of nightmare from happening and Im also angry about how the drug companies and drs as well all seem to [i]forget[i] this little tid bit of information when you are inducted, because you know if you told someone that if they get in accident or need a procedure (which almost always is a spur of the moment thing that can't be planned for 2 weeks in advance in order to stop the subs) that they will just have to suffer in agony maybe they would have a little harder time lining their pockets than they do now. I swear the only reason they allow subs to be legal for this reason is because they make you feel like shit and have this consequence, its like sadists are the ones in charge ("oh morphine taken every 12 hours in a small dose would do just the same and probably keep more people in treatment and it won't block pain relief in an emergency?

Nah we can't do that because there is a slight chance of euphoria and Id rather have someone be in agony in an emergency instead of that happening") Been off 7 days and the pain meds still don't do anything. I didn't want this to be rant it was just supposed to be kind of a warning for anyone else who might need a procedure done but Im just really upset and traumatized over this. One good thing has come of this though I am a week off subs and I will NEVER EVER take another on of those tablets again. If I ever need maint again it will reluctantly be methadone because not being able to get any relief when you are in extreme pain is not something I will ever put myself through again. It should be illegal to not have it printed on every damn pharmacy sheet you get with your rx "this medicine will block all pain medication if you are in an emergency".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Buprecision,

I need dental work myself and am concerned about it. Do you mind if I ask what they prescribed you for pain relief? How long before having the procedure did you quit taking Suboxone? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:31 pm 

Like you, I too had surgery and had no success with pain treatment. This was back in '12 so they knew even less than today. I had tapered down to 1 mg and stopped the day before. Nothing killed the pain and my surgeon wasn't one to listen to logic concerning buprenorphine blocking the receptors. So yes, I was left in agony until I got back on my Suboxone again. After that, taking Aleve seemed to do the best at pain control.

Now with teeth it's different. I've had dental surgery before I ever got addicted to opiates and found that vicodin or whatever they gave me didn't do squat for the pain. Only an anti-inflammatory medicine helped. The only thing that worked was Motrin. Aleve wasn't around back then or I would have taken it. IMO, opiates just don't work on dental pain. You might feel better due to the euphoric effect of them but they sure didn't stop any pain with me. And that is only me.

Since being on Suboxone I've had two teeth pulled and a few crowns put on with nothing more than Aleve to help. And that is all I needed. So try to get it out of your head that you need opiates for dental surgery. You'll be just fine with any of the anti-inflammatory drugs on the market. Again, this is only my 2ยข worth. Maybe it helps other people, just not me.

I do agree with you that all patients should be warned before induction about the lack of pain control in case of emergency. It's a valid point.

You'll be okay. Just go with it and take your OTC meds. What other choice is there?

rule