It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am so scared of how the delivery process is going to go when I go in to have my baby!! I desperately want to be off subutex before I have my baby girl and I pray that I can be. I do see a doctor for my script but of course I want to avoid my daughter having NAS and having to stay in the hospital and also don't want to have to deal with DHS. My family doesn't know I have to take these things and would flip out if they know and there is of course no way of hiding the fact that my baby would have to stay longer if I don't get off of them and if DHS becomes involved. I have no idea what I am facing and am freaking out!! Can someone please help me with some answers?? If I can get off of them will DHS still be involved even if my daughter doesn't have NAS just because it is in my records?? How long will my baby be in the hospital if I can't get off of them?? And how does the entire process work one way or the other?? Also how the heck can I get off these things I hate having to rely on so bad and ever live a normal life again?? I'm just so scared... any advice will help!! Thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:23 am 

Hey kleec,

I have 3 children who were all born in TN, but I wasn't addicted during those days so I have zero experience with ur issues. I just wanted to welcome u. Also, I'm pretty sure that if ur under a doctor's care with a valid script, especially if ur OB knows too, then DCS shouldn't have to get involved...but of course that's just a guess. Why don't u ask ur OB these questions? That's the person who'd be able to give u answers I assume. If not then maybe anonymously call the hospital ur going to deliver at and ask, they won't know it's u.

I could only imagine how scary it'd be having to deal with addiction during pregnancy, it's got to suck big time. But honestly ur doing the right things, being on subs while pregnant doesn't make u a monster. Try making some phone calls and ask ur dr, maybe someone else will be along shortly to also share their experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Understand that your problem isn't your 'dependence on these' meds. Your problem is opioid dependence. Many people, especially younger people, think there is a way to just go back to 'normal', and pretend it never happened. They think that they can just erase the using episodes and that their parents never have to see what happened during those dark days.

But it just doesn't work that way. Everybody has that 'wish'. That wish causes people to spend tens of thousands of dollars on 3 months in rehab. But almost all of those people are wasting their money. I suppose that every stay in treatment provides something positive... but people rarely stay clean from opioids after those treatments.

Medication assisted treatments came along because of recognition that residential treatment isn't very helpful for opioid dependence. You're not even talking about residential treatment though; you are writing as if you think you can simply wish it all away. Right now, you are not using opioid agonists BECAUSE you are on buprenorphine. Over the years I have seen many young men and women, who insisted while on buprenorphine that they would be fine without it... and I've read the obituaries of a number of former patients who died a couple years after stopping buprenorphine.

I've written this here before, I think even in response to your posts (unless we've had a large run of pregnant patients in the past couple weeks). I know the information is not what you want to hear. But the good news is you have a doctor, and have a valid script. I receive emails every day from people searching for a doc to treat them with buprenorphine. I strongly recommend that you talk with others who have been there-- and let your doctor treat you appropriately during your delivery.

As others wrote-- I see no reason for DHS involvement, providing you are not taking illegal drugs. There is a 50% chance of NAS, and NAS is almost always very mild with buprenorphine. You seem to be very focused on the short-term; Your baby spending a couple extra days in the hospital is not a big deal, and will be forgotten by you and everyone else by his/her first birthday, if not sooner. Your parents may have to learn that their daughter has had experiences with substances.... but frankly, if they had any closeness with you at all, they certainly knew you were going through SOMETHING. Maybe they thought you just miraculously got over it. But maybe it is time to be honest-- and to let them know you had the responsibility to do the right thing and find effective treatment. There is no shame in that.

I'm in my 50's. In 20-30 years you will have known good people who got cancer and died; you'll have friends who had children killed in car accidents or from overdose. You will recognize, hopefully, that having a healthy child monitored for a few days is not the end of the world. Hopefully you won't make the mistake I've seen too many times, where people run from buprenorphine too early and end up with criminal charges or worse. Just keep doing the RIGHT thing-- and things will work out.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
Understand that your problem isn't your 'dependence on these' meds. Your problem is opioid dependence. Many people, especially younger people, think there is a way to just go back to 'normal', and pretend it never happened. They think that they can just erase the using episodes and that their parents never have to see what happened during those dark days.

But it just doesn't work that way. Everybody has that 'wish'. That wish causes people to spend tens of thousands of dollars on 3 months in rehab. But almost all of those people are wasting their money. I suppose that every stay in treatment provides something positive... but people rarely stay clean from opioids after those treatments.

Medication assisted treatments came along because of recognition that residential treatment isn't very helpful for opioid dependence. You're not even talking about residential treatment though; you are writing as if you think you can simply wish it all away. Right now, you are not using opioid agonists BECAUSE you are on buprenorphine. Over the years I have seen many young men and women, who insisted while on buprenorphine that they would be fine without it... and I've read the obituaries of a number of former patients who died a couple years after stopping buprenorphine.

I've written this here before, I think even in response to your posts (unless we've had a large run of pregnant patients in the past couple weeks). I know the information is not what you want to hear. But the good news is you have a doctor, and have a valid script. I receive emails every day from people searching for a doc to treat them with buprenorphine. I strongly recommend that you talk with others who have been there-- and let your doctor treat you appropriately during your delivery.

As others wrote-- I see no reason for DHS involvement, providing you are not taking illegal drugs. There is a 50% chance of NAS, and NAS is almost always very mild with buprenorphine. You seem to be very focused on the short-term; Your baby spending a couple extra days in the hospital is not a big deal, and will be forgotten by you and everyone else by his/her first birthday, if not sooner. Your parents may have to learn that their daughter has had experiences with substances.... but frankly, if they had any closeness with you at all, they certainly knew you were going through SOMETHING. Maybe they thought you just miraculously got over it. But maybe it is time to be honest-- and to let them know you had the responsibility to do the right thing and find effective treatment. There is no shame in that.

I'm in my 50's. In 20-30 years you will have known good people who got cancer and died; you'll have friends who had children killed in car accidents or from overdose. You will recognize, hopefully, that having a healthy child monitored for a few days is not the end of the world. Hopefully you won't make the mistake I've seen too many times, where people run from buprenorphine too early and end up with criminal charges or worse. Just keep doing the RIGHT thing-- and things will work out.

Thank you for ur response. This was actually my first post on this forum and I just joined the day that I posted this, so any other previous responses weren't to me. Just to explain my situation a little bit and give a little background... I'm not a young teenager, I will be 32 in less than a week. I've had a lot of life experiences and have lost a lot of ppl and have dealt with lots of things that most thankfully do not have to deal with in a lifetime. My addiction situation is a little different from most people's and that's kinda why I wanted to be sure to respond to ur reply. I am no different than anyone else that has struggled with addiction of course so I hope no one takes anything I say wrong... like I said before I am almost 32, I have a 4 yr old daughter and a fiance, a full time job, and a college education. The only people I am close to in my life are my child and fiance. I never took the first pain pill until I was 27 yrs old after the birth of my daughter and then had something else happen to me that I was again prescribed pain meds for and before I even realized what was happening, I was physically dependant. So NO, I am not just trying to wish away some horrible mistake I made by choosing to party my life away. This is actually something I am educated in and knew could happen, but until it happens to you physically you honestly don't believe people and think everyone should just be able to stop if they want to... obviously that's the wrong assumption and it's not that easy. I never once took my medication for leisure or pleasure or the fun of it... when it was time to try to do my everyday without the pain meds and decided to just suffer thru the pain on a daily basis instead, I had no idea that I would be facing the chemical addiction and the physical symptoms that came along with just stopping the meds. I have been on suboxone since March of 2014, so that means I used what I was prescribed for a little less than 2 years. I only started the sub because I didn't want to live a life dependant on a medication and to my surprise suboxone wasn't a quick get over it fix like I thought it was going to be either. I have tried multiple times to come off of them but they make u just as sick if not sicker than the pain meds!!! If I had a month or 2 to just sit around I would just be miserable and suffer it all out, but that isn't an option for me with a full time job and a rambunctious 4 year old to care for and a household to run!! Even stepping down doses I would need a couole of weeks to get straightened fully out coming off of these!! I have to be able to function for my job and my family. Believe me when I say I am not at risk for ever returning to pain pills or overdosing. I was never like that with them anyways. I just wanna be normal again, not dependant on anything. And for the family stuff... that's just a messed up situation. My mother and I have never really had a good relationship and not because I've not tried. She's just an odd person that doesn't think other ppl are allowed to have flaws. She holds a high position in her job and everyone in the small town I live in knows her. I went to her when I was trying to just quit the pills cold turkey 2 yrs ago and that was the biggest mistake of my life. She has treated like a junkie ever since. Keep in mind I've never been in trouble at all, I've never been that typical addict with a record or a thief, etc... so my story is a little different. I can't let her know because of how judgemental she is and she's the type that had so much power in her position that she would take my kids even tho I'm a good mother just because I'm not perfect in her eyes. She is an outstanding, perfect Christian citizen if u know what I mean. I just felt like I needed to explain myself in regards to ur response. I really just want off of these and to be normal again. Not looking for the quick magic fix cause I know there is no such thing and have been trying to fix this problem for quiet some time. It's just finding the time to be able to deal with it the way I need to. I just am scared and don't want a poor baby that didn't ask for this to happen to it to have to suffer. Unfortunately in some families there's just things u have to keep a secret for screwed up reasons. That's why I am curious about the process because I don't know how to handle it and love my family I've created for myself more than anything and don't wanna bring any harm or hurt our way at the mind of someone that thinks life should be perfect (my Mom)... I've already ask my ob/gyn and he doesn't really have any answers for me except that every situation is different and we will have to see when it happens and that's not a good enough answer for me. I really need more info... again I'm just scared and I hope I haven't offended anyone by telling my story or explainong my situation. I don't think I am any different than anyone else by all means and for sure know I am not perfect obviously, but I do think my situation isn't the typical addict situation that everyone tends to catagorize. And I'm unfortunately not as young as I'd like to be anymore these days either lol. So u have had some life experience. I thought that may help if I explained myself to find the answers I am looking for. Thank you so much tho and again I hope and pray u don't take my response the wrong way. I just wanted u to know I'm not young and dumb and have lived a Lil and I know it's not an overnight kinda thing. I just don't know exactly what I'm in store for as of now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So like some have said before that you shouldn't have any problems with child services, they may come in to talk to you when you deliver, but that is all.

As for coming off them, it can be done and even done safely if you so choose. Some people may discourage you from doing it for a few different reasons, but I have done it and although it wasn't a walk in the park, my baby was and is completely fine. I had my reasons for doing it and they outweighed the reason for not doing it. You have to do whatever is best for you and your family.

I started out on 16mg and slowly weaned myself down to 0 using the taper method talked about on this board. I always had the intention that if the withdrawals got too hard or whatnot that it was ok if I wasn't completely off of them when I delivered, even the fact that I weaned very low was a good thing.

But in the end I was able to get off them completely. My initial plan was to have three weeks off completely before delivery and that was about when I took my last dose. But I ended up going into labor about 3 weeks early and I was only completely off of them for about 3-4 days. But I was fine, surgery went well (c section), pain was able to be controlled, baby wasn't born with any NAS, etc.

I had a long drawn out taper, so that is one reason I believe the 3-4 days only being off was not a big deal. I jumped at .125 mg I believe and that dose was taken half in am and half in pm for a while too before jumping. Drawing out your taper, doing it slowly, is KEY.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm 23 weeks along now and doing it all over again. Still with the same mindset, if I can't do it completely it's ok. Just weaning very low is great. But my goal is completely off.