It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am writing as still in hospital. My daughter was delivered by c section on. 12/31 due to the possibility of me having a herpes lesion. I was planning originally to have a vaginal birth as the 5 other births but there were other plans this time. I don't want to scare anyone since everyone and their pain level is different but my pain has been pretty bad. I have been given my subutex (normal dose I was taking is 12 mg a day )along with oxycodone 5 mg (allowed up to 15 mg per dose but never accepted that much ) I wanted to go over a few things as to what happened with me and so far with the baby. This was a scheduled c section but I had 24 hours knowing I was getting this done. I was walked into the or and everyone was very nice. I was given a spinal block epidural. The surgery itself was fast but as soon as I was stitched up I was beginning to feel pain. Recovery room was the worst. It took Forever to get my pain under control. I was given aleve and Tylenol and a shot of dilaudid through my iv. Then I was given 10 mg of oxycodone with my night dose of subutex. That finally got the pain to a decent level. I'm telling you this pain was bad. It felt worse than pulled muscles times a hundred. I had this surgery 12/31 at 4 pm and was out of surgery around 5. Got to recovery and stayed there till 930. Then was in my postpartum room since then. Catheter was removed around 3 am and I was up three times nurse assisted before the next morning. Walking is a challenge BC the incision hurts. And my legs and ankles are still swollen BC I had a lot of fluids since my blood pressure was low in surgery and after in recovery. I will write more but I need to hold the baby right now. I will be glad to answer any questions. I didn't get to the baby part yet! But I will soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:29 am 

Hello, Hi Narcissa and congratulations on the birth of your baby! I am so sorry that you experienced pain! I hope you are feeling better and that the baby is well. You have not told us yet about the baby and I am praying that the baby is healthy and doing well! Please, post when you can to let us know that you are both fine!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:13 pm 

Hi Narcissa and congratulations on your new baby!

Are you spreading out your 12 mg sub dose? The analgesic properties of sub last every 4 to 6 hours. I would take your dose 3mg at a time every 6 hours to get the maximum relief from the sub. Then, perhaps take your other meds 2 or 3 hours after the sub? The first part of my suggestion I'm absolutely sure about, but the second part is more of a guess. It just seems like off setting the times would bring you the best relief.

Definitely split your sub dose up though.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok to answer more of your all questions. . Sorry it took me some time I've been busy w baby. As for the sub dose they doses me every day I was in the hospital. I actually wound up having the c section last minute (as in 2 days notice ) BC I was already past my due date and had a questionable lesion that coukd not be ruled out as herpes or ingrown hair. I've had herpes since I was 18 and I've had 5 vaginal births before. But this time th chance of this being an outbreak is one nobody wanted to take. So I had one day till scheduled c section. The pain was real bad. I even felt a lot of pushing tugging and pressing during surgery. Idk what was in the epidural but I will think morphine during surgery along w usual numbing agents. The baby didn't want to nurse nor did she understand how to latch for 24 hours. I was told this is normal. I was concerned about withdrawals but the hospital was kind n lucky me I had excellent nurses n every assessment done which was every 4 hours on the baby I never got any bad reports. They never took baby in another room. They did the assessment right in front of me. At one point the night before we were set to leave I got stuck w a bitch nurse and she was mad at me at 4 am BC I was tired and all. I had been in hospital from 12/31 to 1/4 afternoon. I was kept an extra day for the baby BC the infectious disease dept wanted to get her blood drawn for some herpes labs and were held up an extra day since New Year's Day was a holiday. So I was exhausted from my surgery plus having doctors and medical people walk in every 2 hours. I had like zero sleep. For whatever reason idk but the morning we were suppose to be going home the pediatrician cake and said her 4 am score was a little low and they needed to get results of the 8 am and the noon before we would be able to get going. It upset me bad BC I knew if they didn't let her go home w me it was BC of this one stupid nurse. But thankfully she left shift and another nice nurse did the 8 and noon and she passed. These tests for withdraws in see are very subjective to interpretation. Meaning except for respiratory headings the other things can be just normal newborn stuff Imo. Like sneezing and spitting up. I mean it happens to every baby regardless of subutex or not. So thank God the last two scores the day nurse did and she felt we were ready to go home. Since being home we had to visit the ped the next day. That was fine by me BC I was having anxiety about her voniting up some meals and some shakes she has in her sleep. I brought her to doc and he said she's just fine. I had to tell him I was worried BC of my subutex. He said he's seen withdraw babies and my baby is not. But her weight loss needs to be rechecked Friday to make sure it's coming back up and also she has a diaper rash so he told us which cream to get. I think the baby will be fine she is such a love ! Ok as for me -- I take 4 mg of sub around 4 pm. 11 pm I take 8 mg so I'm splitting doses. At 8 am I take 5 mg oxycodone. I have managed to limit it to just one a day. I am in moderate pain but the rest of the day is managed w 2 aleve and 2 extras strength Tylenol and heat or ice packs. Some of recovering people may say the oxycodone is bad. Well it is I agree but pain control is important so I can function to be a mother. I'm not taking it for the feeling I'm taking for pain. And I have a bottle of 30 prescribed and I'm technically allowed up to 2 pills a day but do I take it like that ? No. Not even in the hospital. When I was thee they offered me 10 mg every 4 hours and I denied it except twice a day. One thing I wanted to address is constipation. Please listen to me if u are delivering like I did and take subutex. Please start drinking coffee prune juice etc as soon as you know ur scheduled for a c section. And after make sure u take all the laxatives and bowel stuff THT give u BC it's hell to get your system rolling again. I was literally given sennakot 3 collace and coffee lots of ice water prune juice milk of magnesia miralax twice a day and I got one fleet enema the night after delivery. It took all that to get a good poop going. And I'm terrified of any other constipation so I stayed on this daily regimen at home. I will post it here what works for me for bowels. .
Postpartum C section after care for smooth moving bowels
At hospital -- take all bowel medicine and laxatives or enema they offer you.
When u order your daily meals make sure to get the prune juice and also at lest 2 cups of coffee a day and drink lots of water with ice.
Once you are home -- take collace, miralax, at least 1 cup of coffee and 1 8 oz glass of prune juice daily. Plus at least 1 dose of miralax. (Make sure u ask your doctor if these are safe for you of course ) also one serving milk of magnesia.
I will be back to write more of anytbing else I can think of. I hope this info can help someone else out there. I hate what I went through worrying about my baby but thankfully we didn't experience withdrawals from subutex for the baby !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Narcissa!

Congrats on your healthy baby girl! And a NYE baby, how special.

The C-SECTION. It's brutal. BRUTAL! I was off all opiates when I had my C-sec, so when they medicated me.. I had maximum pain relief. No pain was felt, other than the odd tugging/ pressure. I was very out of it though, because I had 2 days of labor prior, failed epidurals, and hadn't eaten had anything to drink in days. So by the time they upped my meds and added the spinal block and cocktail, I was compltely out of it. So much so that I wasn't allowed to have an narcotic the rest of the day. But the next day I was in the worst pain I had ever felt. Feels like your insides are literally on fire. Can sit up, sneeze, talk, laugh.. Worst pain I've ever felt. The 5mg oxycodones did help a little but it's tough for 2 weeks. You'll start feeling better, just give yourself time.

Now that you're home, watch for infection. If you notice ANY red around the incision, draw around it with a pen, and see if it gets bigger. If it does, go to the doc immediately and get antibitoics. It's easy to neglect yourself when you've got a new baby and 5? other kids. Make sure you are taking proper care of your incision.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Narcissa, congratulations on your baby!! I was in the same boat as you with the birth of my son.

First, I was on 16mg of subutex a day, but never took nearly that much! Toward the end of my pregnancy I was down to maybe 4mg a day. Anyhow mine was not a scheduled c section. I went in for a normal checkup, I was 38W1D, and found out he was breech and there was something wrong with my placenta.
Anyhow 10:03pm October 26th, I had put beautiful son, Noah Reign. He was 5lbs 9oz at birth, which is normal for me, for I've had 3 previous births, all small babies, never over 6lbs. His scores were a little high according to the test my hospital does in the state I live. But anyhow. I dealt with everything that you did. My Dr and I had to agreed that we would wait and see how he was when he was born and determine from there if he needed medication to help with the subutex withdrawal. My son also had a hard time latching on in the first 24hrs and had to be taught to suck pretty much. My others never had this problem. Now he had the sneezing as well and jitters (shakes) but again not horribly. But I was as concerned as you were. But my Dr and his pediatrician that was looking over him knew what was going on and reassured me that even though he was showing signs of slight withdrawal, they had seen other babies that were wayyyy worse than mine. We stayed a total of 4 days, he never had to go to nicu (neonatal intensive care unit) and never had to have any medications. I continued to breastfeed as much as I could to help him wean off the subutex. I still hate myself for doing it to him, but as I tried to quit around the start of the 2nd trimester, I felt the withdrawals x2 and I couldn't. I made the decision to stay on my medication and handle the withdrawals with my baby, then risk stopping while pregnant and possibly kill my baby because of it. Thank God he is and was perfect at birth.

Now in regards to the c section, THAT TOTALLY SUCKED! The pain was HORRIBLE! I have never had one and had always joked about getting one instead of the vaginal birth, but on my goodness, wowwww! Worst pain ever! And I had NO pain medication except for the spinal!! Because I was on the subutex. They only gave my ibuprofen afterwards. The muscle ripping and tearing and pulling and tugging. Ughhhhh I can still feel it! My incision still hurts, depending on the day, some are worse thn others. I'm hoping if I have another baby, that I can have a vbac. Not to mention with the spinal, I felt like I was going to die on the table, I got this weird warm feeling all the way up my right side and here I was having a panic attack on the table after they got my son out. It was the most horrible feeling, pain ever!