It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been thrown around and mislead by every single doctor I have talked to during my entire pregnancy. When I found out I was pregnant I was addicted to opiates, mostly oxy contin and vicodin. I went to the OBGYN and they considered me high risk and wouldnt see me, it took them 5 months to find me a doctor that would see me. After I finally got to my high risk doctor, every single time I had an appointment I had a different doctor. Which was a complete pain because I had to retell my story every single time I went to the doctor, and that resulted in a different viewpoint and different advice from every doctor I saw. Like I said, I was taking opiates when I found out I was pregnant and was not prescribed suboxone. My doctors would not prescribe me suboxone because they all told me that they did not have the authority to do so. They all reccomended that I get into a methadone program. By the time I got to see my high risk doctors I was already around 5-6 months pregnant, so by that time I had quit taking as many opiates and was mainly on suboxone illegally. I did this because I felt it was better for the pregnancy and baby. I do not get "high" off of suboxone and I only need about a pill a day to keep me from withdrawaling. When I saw my high risk doctor for the first time I told her I was taking suboxone and she told me to stop due to the lack of knowledge behind the medication. She referred me to a methadone clinic and prescribed me enough oxy contin to get me through the weekend until I could get into the clinic. I thought that was odd, but she was my doctor so I did it. I went to the clinic, which by the way was very far from my home and in a very bad location, I managed to make it to the clinic about 3 times, i did not like the atmosphere, the people that worked there were rude and on top of that the methadone made me feel "high", which I did not want. So I decided to stop taking the methadone, mainly because I did not think it was the healthiest thing for the baby and becase I did not have a license and there was no possible way i could get to the clinic every single day to take my dose. I went back to my high rish doctor and told her everything. She basically told me that she could not write me a prescription of suboxone and could not find me a doctor who would because I was pregnant...she basically had no answers. After that they gave me a different doctor every time I visited and this is when things just got rediculous. Every single doctor told me "you cannot go through withdrawal because of harm to the fetus, we do not reccomend that you get your suboxone off of the street because you never know what you are getting, BUT we cannot prescribe you anything for the withdrawal so all I can tell you is to keep doing what your doing until you have the baby. I was so confused, they were so contradicting. My entire pregnancy was filled with anxiety and not knowing what to do....all I could do was keep myself from withdrawaling because thats what they told me to do.

Well I delivered my baby boy on 11/11/2009. He weighed 7lbs 1oz. When he was born he seemed completely healthy to me, he was crying and breathing perfectly fine on his own. Although, because I was taking suboxone during the pregnancy, the doctors are keeping him in the NICU to keep an eye on his withdrawals. So far, they told me that his scores are a little bit high, but not high enough to put him on medication. They told me he has tremors, and had a hard time keeping his formula down. I visited him yesterday and they told me that they changed his formula and had kept his food down all day. I found that to be a big improvement. They told me that he was cranky all day and asked me if I had any questions. I decided to ask them if they were waiting to circumsize him and they said that they did that that morning. Instantly I figured well that could be a very good reason why hes been particularly cranky that day. They have me very worried about him. My main concerns are the tremors. I cant seem to find very much information about them and it has me worrying around the clock.

I dont know if anyone will take the time to read this, but if anyone does and has any valuable or helpful information at all it would be sooooo immensly appreciated. Like I said, I have been tossed around and told different things throughout my entire pregnancy and now Im not getting any answers about when I can bring him home or anything. I just dont know what to do.

Thank you for reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lioness, I am so sorry that you went through that.
I have been taking subutex for years, and am getting ready to hopefully "try" to get pregnant within the next couple of months, and it has involved a lot of planning but I have the support of my addiction doctor, my ob/gyn, and the perinatologist/high-risk ob/gyn that my regular ob/gyn sent me to as she wants me to be followed extra-closely once i do get pregnant since I will continue to take the subutex.
I know how anxious and confused I am---and I am "lucky" enough to have a plan laid out for me well before conception, and to have all of the my doctors at least initially on-board. I can't imagine how tough it must have been for you to handle all of this.

And I'm not a doctor, but from all that I have read, the withdrawal symptoms that babies can show from suboxone are usually very minor and less than what they would have shown on methadone. It's very possible that your baby is perfectly fine--and that you are dealing with uneducated and prejudiced doctors. Even in my quest, I have found so many doctors and nurses who are still so completely in the dark about addiction and addiction treatment. I will, in fact, be the very first patient pregnant on subutex that both my regular and high-risk ob/gyn's will have had---which really surprised me.

I hope your baby can come home soon--maybe it would be helpful for you to print out some of the information provided by the Dr. who runs this site and show it to the doctors taking care of your son? All of the information I have read shows that babies are usually perfectly fine---of course, long-term health problems are unknown because there simply isn't a lot of information as suboxone is still such a 'new' treatment, but I would wager that your son will be fine--both short-term and long-term.

Your doctors were correct in that they couldn't prescribe you suboxone--it does take special prescription waiver/license for doctors to be able to prescribe suboxone for addiction treatment. I'm shocked that they didn't make any efforts to help you find a doctor in your area that could help you. If you are interested in remaining on suboxone, I highly recommend using the physician locator -- google suboxone physician locator and I'm sure you can find it as I don't recall what site it is on -- and it will list doctors in your area that are "allowed" to prescribe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay ladies, I know it is verrrry late for me to be responding to your posts from last year... I do hope you receive this.

Lioness: WOW girl, what an amazing gift you have. I want to say BRAVO for listening to your gut instincts, and for doing what YOU felt was right (not necessarily what the "pros" thought you should do)!! I am so sorry you had such a terrible time with this, and I am amazed at how STRONG and BRAVE you were throughout the process. Your story really touched me, and I do hope you and your baby are happy and doing well. I would love to hear how everything turned out after the baby came home.

Hopefloats: I would love to hear how things turned out for you as well... did you conceive? How far along are you if so? Did your doctors think it was okay to keep you on the Subutex, or did they wean you off?

Personally I have been taking Suboxone for approx. 30 days for opiod relapse prevention (I had already detoxed for approx 30 days prior to taking it). Recovery has been SUCH a blessing, and my husband has been incredibly supportive. So supportive in fact that we have fallen in love all over again, and -- surprise! -- I just found out today that I am prego. SCARY! And I have to say, your stories REALLY helped.

Part of me thinks maybe I should wean myself off the Suboxone. Another part of me wonders if the baby will develop properly in the 1st trimester while taking it, and if I've already ruined its chances of being healthy. I'm kinda freaking out, and everything I seem to read about Suboxone states that I should not become pregnant while taking it. Whoops. I think I may have even signed a contract with my treatment doctor stating that I would not become pregnant. I know I must discuss this with him... but ultimately this child resides in MY body, so I'd LOVE to hear from others who have experienced something similar firsthand!

UGGGGGHHHHH any feedback is GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks so much for listening. :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

blessed-if you are already pregnant, it is probably not a great idea to stop your bupe. And if you are trying to conceive, stopping is a super-personal and individual decision. I had a baby while taking subutex, and I would do it again, even though there were complications, because I know that at that time, there was no way I would have gotten through 9 months without relapsing to other opiates and endangering my child even more. For the most part, I was treated well, with little prejudice although there was not a lot of information on the topic of bupe and pregnancy at the time. The University of Connecticut has a hotline where you can tell them what meds you are taking and whether it is ok to continue while pregnant. They gave the OK as far as the bupe and my antidepressants I was taking at that time. I had to change insurance and therefore suboxone doctors at the time, which I was able to do seamlessly, and my new addiction doc had treated several other women who were pregnant, so he had some knowledge. I went to a high risk ob clinic because of my age and because I was on suboxone. I had a c-section 9 weeks early because of a placental abruption, my daughter was in the NICU for 6 weeks and they didn't have to treat her for withdrawal (she had other complications and it has been a tough road but I don't think it was due to the buprenorphine, but to her prematurity and the intraventricular hemorrhage she had at birth). The only person who even looked at me sideways was the lactation consultant, but I wasn't able to breastfeed anyhow. If you get all your ducks in a row as far as doctors who are experienced in treating women who are both pregnant and on buprenorphine, you should be OK if you feel you need to stay on it. Good luck to you.