It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Degraded Suboxone Films
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Has anyone noticed that their Suboxone 8/2 strips are degrading? This is the second script I've had (the 1st was last month) where I open the foil pack and the strip looks thin, brittle and in some cases actually cracked and broken. It looks like a magnified view of dry skin cells. I started the strips in Feb. and never had a problem until July, so I'm wondering if it's weather related. It's a pretty big concern for me because I'm tapering and I'm cutting up the strips, and in one or two cases the strip just crumbled and I had to throw part of it away (never did that before). I will report it to the pharm, but I was curious if any of you have seen this.
I was also concerned because of what Tear3jerker had reported about films degrading and Naloxone oxidizing. I just started another thread about how I'm feeling awful now that I'm below the ceiling, but I wonder if it could also be due to the degrading films?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Please don't worry about the naloxone oxidising. I just quoted a study, and I'm sure if your film isn't past its use-by date you'll be fine. I really don't want to stir up fear where it might not be necessary. I myself don't have any experience with the film (yet).

If you have any concerns about the film degrading and the naloxone breaking down, I'd suggest you mention both the study and your experiences to your doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also had degraded strips in my recent script. I would say like 10 of them so far and a few in pieces. I thought maybe I just got a bad batch but maybe it does have something to do with the weather.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes this has happened to me before and its common;; The problem is heat... If you keep your strips in temperatures about around 75 degress they will get hot humid and really moveable... so when they dry up again they break into pieces...

Its from heat and humidity... keep your strips in a cool dark place it wont happen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:04 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've had a few of these in my past scripts of the last 2 months or so. Usually about 10 or so in each script. Not degrading per-say...but very brittle and easy to break apart. When I open the package, clearly not cutting into the strip, it'll be in half or have a crack running down it. The strips stay in a dark/dry/cool place in the box so I can't see anything like that having anything to do with it. No idea what it is. I usually cut my 8mg in half perfectly so I can dose 4mg when I wake up, and 4mg when I goto sleep and sometimes when it's cracked awkwardly, it makes it hard to really get equal halves. Annoying at times, but I survive lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This has happened to me as well. I think it depends on the batch. When it's happened I noted the that the lot numbers for the cracked/broken strips were the same and if I had multiple lots within a prescription they would sometimes look and feel different. I haven't had it happen yet since I've switched from the 8mg films to the 2 mg films though. It sure made it difficult when I was taking 1 1/2 films, since they would kind of disintegrate before I could halve them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

the strips are cracking due to the thickness of the strips - its a design flaw. when i got the 8/2 mg strips, 50% of them would be cracked, and i just figured i was getting old product. but when i tapered down to the 2 mg strips (which are the sme size as the 8's, just thinner) none of them have ever been cracked. ive probably been rx'd a thousand of the 2 mg strips with no cracks whatsoever.

anyone on here experiencing cracks in the 2 mg ones? if so, my hypothesis goes out the window! cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:55 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

When I first started on the suboxone 8mg films in May, none of them were ever ripped. It wasn’t until late July when I first started noticing them ripped. At first I was able to take them back to the pharmacy and was given new ones. The pharmacist thought I was ripping them when I opened them. Probably a month later they were all ripped and were pointless to return. I find it very frustrating that they’re messed up when they are being sold for so much. I don't think it’s because of the thickness otherwise they would have always been ripped. Hopefully the manufacturers fix this problem ASAP. It becomes a hassle when I try to make an even half because they're so ripped throughout the film. Am I the only one that noticed this progression?