It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: decreasing suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all,
So I'm on a high dose of suboxone, actually the most allowed by the FDA, it has worked wonders, I've been clean for over 5 years (I guess except to those who believe taking suboxone as prescribed is still using)
I was however thinking about slowly decreasing my dose, I still don't love the idea of being dependent on anything. I'm certainly not going to go to detox though. So has anyone decreased their own dose? If so, how did it go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. There is a section entitled "stopping Suboxone" about a third of the way down the home page. There is a lot of good information there on tapering. Many people on high doses (I'm guessing you are at 32mg?) have found that you can drop rapidly at first, like from 32 to 16 to 8 with very little effect. Then when you get down to the ceiling level, around 4mg you need to taper much slower and see how you adjust between doses. I'm not sure if you are talking about tapering off, or just going to a lower dose. Maybe you can say more about what you are planning.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject: Reducing Dose
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:55 pm 

Hi Irishwahl and welcome to the forum. Your question is a common one with a lot of answers here in our system. Just do some research on the sections titled Stopping Suboxone or Bupe in the Rear View Mirror just to mention a couple.

What is the highest dose allowed by the FDA? Just by reading up on Buprenorphine my guess is 32mg's. Is that correct? If so, you are correct saying it is a very high dose. I was started on 24mgs but was only taking Norco's so my opinion may not be the best for you. May I assume you were on some pretty strong meds before inducing to Suboxone?

Normally with high doses, most of us have been able to drop several milligrams w/o any ill effects. That may not be the case for you though. To be safe, why don't you just drop down by 10% every two weeks just to be sure. Then when you get down to low doses you go a little less and longer between drops.

For us to be able to really help you, we need more information about your drug history and Suboxone use. Then we can give you more accurate information. Just keep in mind that every body is different. Some people cannot go lower than 16mg's w/o feeling withdrawal symptoms and others can drop down w/o feeling anything.

Welcome once more and feel free to post all you want.

Rule

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:14 am 

The questions that Lilly and Rule have asked you are important to figure out what kind of taper might work for you. Remember, that because suboxone has such a long half-life, when you drop to a lower dose you need to allow 4 or 5 days to pass at that dose to know how your body will respond.

I want to welcome you to the forum! I hope we can answer your questions and that you'll tell us more about yourself.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i take 1 mg of suboxone per day. I get craving control and actually feel more of a positive effect at this low dose than a higher dose of say 4 mgs (strange i know but many people have reported the same). Lowering was fairly painless however between 1 and 2 mgs I would wake up with a runny nose and yawns for a couple weeks. I find splitting the dose in half taking half in the am and half in the PM (say your at 4 mgs.... 2 in the am and 2 in the pm) is helpful for reducing.... slowly start decreasing the 2nd dose of the day until your only taking that one dose in the morning. Give your self time to adjust to the lower dose... your tolerance will drop and 1mg or 2 mgs will "feel" satisfying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think it's really hard to gauge a particular dose when you'll start to get uncomfortable when tapering. Because while I haven't done a proper slow taper myself, I get the feeling the point-of-uncomfortability varies a lot from person to person. I seem to have a very fast metabolism of sub and at this point on time, taking 6mg morning and 6mg evening, if I leave over 14+ hours between dosing I start to get fidgety and get goosebumps. Getting down to 4mg twice daily brings those symptoms even sooner.

So exactly how you'll go and how painless your experience will be will depend a lot on your tolerance / habit you were fuelling in your addiction and also your rate of metabolism.

Generally on the forum we've found people who are on high doses can get below 12mg without too much difficulty, then start to feel mild symptoms that gradually get more annoying with each reduction. Under 4mg, reductions can get difficult for those who've been on high doses, and that's when the ol motivation comes in handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

TeeJay wrote:
I think it's really hard to gauge a particular dose when you'll start to get uncomfortable when tapering. Because while I haven't done a proper slow taper myself, I get the feeling the point-of-uncomfortability varies a lot from person to person. I seem to have a very fast metabolism of sub and at this point on time, taking 6mg morning and 6mg evening, if I leave over 14+ hours between dosing I start to get fidgety and get goosebumps. Getting down to 4mg twice daily brings those symptoms even sooner.

So exactly how you'll go and how painless your experience will be will depend a lot on your tolerance / habit you were fuelling in your addiction and also your rate of metabolism.

Generally on the forum we've found people who are on high doses can get below 12mg without too much difficulty, then start to feel mild symptoms that gradually get more annoying with each reduction. Under 4mg, reductions can get difficult for those who've been on high doses, and that's when the ol motivation comes in handy.

Damn, you must have a very fast metabolism. It takes me about 4 days until I start to feel like shit from Sub WDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah it's got me a bit stumped. I have a fast metabolism in general, but with Sub it's really obvious. I'm also on some other medication that might be speeding it up a bit tho.