It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Decreasing Dose
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I go see my doctor and he asks how I am doing. I told him that I am doing pretty well. I have been having headaches but other then that pretty good. He asks if I am ready to decrease my dose of the suboxone. I paniced!!!!! How am I supposed to know this??

Any ideas????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you feel panicked at the thought of decreasing your dose, then maybe that's a sign that you are not ready to take that step yet.

My experience was that when I tried to decrease my dose out of fear - fear of staying on too long, of being dependent on Sub long-term, etc. or when i did it because of external pressure, it didn't work out too well.

When I relaxed and accepted that Sub was helping me and then used that time to work on my issues and learn new healthy coping skills, eventually I just came to a point where I knew it was time to step my dose down. Then I would work some more until I was ready again. I let it happen very organically. As I learned to cope with triggers and anxiety and practiced those skills and habits over time, I became stronger and more balanced. Working on my physical health added to that feeling of strength.

Just be honest with your doctor. If you are feeling better because of the Subxone, but you know you have more work to do before you can begin planning to taper, just tell him. Have a plan of things you will do to work on those issues and tell him about that. Keep track of your progress and setbacks and how you handle things so you will know what is working and what isn't. Being in touch with your thoughts and feelings around your addiction and your recovery program is very valuable. It will enable you to articulate your reasons for why you want to stay on Sub or start tapering off, and it clears the way for you to actually know when you are ready to make a change.

For example, if you notice that certain events or situations really increase your anixety or cravings, you can do a couple of things. You can figure out other ways to deal with those situations, and you can give a reasoned explanation to your doctor of why you're ready or not ready to taper - something more in depth than just saying: the thought of tapering right now freaks me out.

My doctor really appreciated my proactive approach and eventually he said he thought I would be a good canidate to taper off.

-Jack Kornfield