It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi guys,

I am currently tapering off my suboxone and I find it annoying how when I get down to 2mg for my daily dosage I start to feel the suboxone. That is why I stabilized at 4mg during the past 2 years I have been on suboxone (I abused regular opiates for a year before that). At 4mg I very rarely every "felt" anything, and then it wasn't a "high", but rather energy. I read about the sweetspot with suboxone where at 2mg you can stabilize well enough not to go into withdrawals but also feel the dose quite noticeably.

Anyways, I am worried it will be hard to go past this "sweetspot" and continue reducing because I will be honest, it feels nice. Or, worse, when I get down to 1mg a day maybe it will be even stronger and thus even more difficult to continue decreasing from? I am working with my doctor on my taper so I am following it as prescribed. It's just an unfortunate effect of the biochemical effect of buprenorphine. I feel like I must not be in recovery if I am worrying about this stumbling block, yet it is not my fault too, and as an addict OF COURSE I am going to like it.

I do feel right now that I can "let go" of this sweetspot and continue past 2mg, but I am worried that it will be a problem once I stabilize at 2mg and maybe it will get worse. Or maybe, once I stabilize, it will go away?? The taper is going really well so far (no big jumps back up to my original dose of 4mg except for once a couple days after I started tapering). I have a lot to look forward to right now, I have worked really hard to get to where I am and am finally making the big career move (nothing fancy or well-paying, but I will love it!).

I feel conflicted, guilty, and a bit scared about this. Am I going to be OK or have other people encountered issues or have any advice on what I can do? I am hoping this will just go away once I stabilize, but I have heard that people reach 2mg and experience the mild, but noticeable high on a daily basis. Sometimes if I haven't absorbed the previous dose well I feel the next so much that even my pupils constrict to pinpoints so the effects are undeniable. It feels like I took .5 or even 1 vicodin.

Honestly, I don't want this. It is distracting and makes me feel like I'm using when I am not even seeking it out. I know I am clean even though I feel a high because it is not my fault this is happening. It's not fair that I have to suddenly deal with these feelings when I've worked so hard to lead a stable life day-to-day without any emotional roller coasters. I am afriad to bring this up with my doc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:40 pm 

Hi D, This 2 mg sweet spot is something I have never heard of. I have dropped from 24 mgs to 8 mgs with no problem. I dose twice a day
Which helps the pain I have from osteoarthritis. I am really curious to here feedback from others who have more experience with suboxone than I do. I wish you much luck with your taper. Please stick around and let us know how you are doing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:15 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The sweet spot. I actually never thought of it like that… Quick background on myself: i've been sub for 12 years and currently tapering off. I was on methadone maintenance for seven years prior. My stabilized does on sub was 6 mg for 10 years. I'm currently on .75 and dropping 10-15% each time. Usually space it out 7 to 9 days.

On that note, I actually understand what you mean about the sweet spot. It's nothing to be afraid of (imo).... It's the nature of the beast. Yes, it does feel different once you get below 2 mg you can really start to feel the strength of the drug. I too, didn't feel high when the ceiling if it was in play. And now when I dose in the morning I feel a rush for a good hour or two. I think mindset can be a big helper here. Being at .75mg it feels like my body is in a constant struggle with itself. It's not bad....it's just my body going through changes. It feels like the sub affect wears off a lot sooner and I actually feel mild withdrawals in the late evening, nighttime hours into the early morning. Don't get me wrong, it sounds worse than it is. If I was to rate my taper experience...The worst would be a 4 out of 10. The secret is to go slow. You have to expect that you will get these rushes from time to time and to not be afraid of them. I kind of think of it like my body is starving for so many hours and then you finally feed it and it's content for a little while. Yes I do like the energy rush but my eyes are on the prize.

The best advice that I can give you is the fear is worse than the taper will be. If, you go slow and low. I think it kind helps to be in a constant state of withdrawal. Mild to minimum withdrawal….As it helps you get used to feeling different and mentally/emotionally understanding the drops. It has helped to remove the fear from the equation.

To be honest with you, each drop feels relatively the same under 2 mg. Once your brain gets out of the way….I feel like i've adjusted well. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop….But it never does. At least not yet. Anyway, if you have any questions please let me know. I don't have any Advice about the jump but I do have advice about the taper. Peace, dotz

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:07 am 

Hey Dhalia :)

I too have never heard of the 2mg "sweet spot" but I've never gotten to 2mg before so maybe that's why. But I do notice that there are times that I feel my sub dose more than others. I'm assuming that's because of the absorption thing. Sometimes I rush taking my dose and others I sit still and focus on taking it (kids makes me rush lol). So yeah, that happens I think and totally see what ur saying and how it's bothering u. Eyedotz responded perfectly and I couldn't have said it better. It's just the way it happens to all of us at one time or another, don't let it mess with ya.

I think ur doing great with ur taper so far! Be proud of where you've gotten to cause u should be. Keep up the awesome work!!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

There is so many more variables that come into play when you get below 2mgs.
From the absorption to accurate splitting of the doses and the individuals metabolism all come into play, not to mention the mental part when dropping to lower doses. It would be so much easier if the companies would make lower doses in the negative point ranges like .5mgs, .25mgs etc.etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:17 pm 

Happyg, That brings up a question for me, I am at 8mgs, 4mg am and 4mg pm. I want to drop to 6mgs but need to dose twice for pain. Do they make 3mg strips or do I go to three 2mg strips. Now, just in case I cant do it, I was thinking of asking my doc to write a script for 2mg strips Qd. Sorry, Qd is four times per day. Does that sound crazy or reasonable? It will also be so much easier when I am ready to go to 4mgs and then eventually to 2mgs. I don't have a timeframe and don't know if I will ever be successful with being off suboxone. It helps with pain from osteoarthritis and depression that came along with menopause so if I am on it for the rest of my life, I am ok with that too. Actually, you guys are my sounding board for these thoughts/plan. I welcome all feedback. Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:15 pm 

When Ive have moved on to a lower dosage in the past ive always cut my 8mg film by 2mgs.
When moving from 8 to 6mgs I just lined up 2mgs and cut.
Michelle, they make Suboxone film in 2,4,8 and 12mg packages. There is not a three.
As Happy said, It would be of great help for those tapering in the lower dosages (below 2mgs) if Rickitt would produce products below 1mg. I do not see that happening in the near future though.

Of course Always talk with your Dr on any type of dose changes.
My 2 cents...

Razor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Michelle,
Razor is correct about the dosages, 2,4,8 and 12mgs.
The best you can do is cut the strips into as accurate pcs as possible and even that is fairly hard to do.
I actually takes strips and mix them with a solvent such as water or alcohol and then use my strips that way. I feel I am a lot more accurate that way on my dose. I myself use Mint Listerine(20% alcohol) Alcohol base gives you better absorption so you don't have to take as much Suboxone for the same affect. I have been doing it this way for around 6 months. It works best for me.