It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Deciding when to stop
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi all,
As some of you know, I recently changed my Suboxone doctors after learning the place I had been going to from the beginning decided to stop offering maintenance. Though I seem to have found a new doctor with no problem, the time in between was very stressful, as I always immediately fear the worst (I can't help it).

Before I found the new doctor, I had to plan for the worst and was mentally trying to prepare myself to start detoxing (which I would have been able to do with my old doctor). But the more I think about it, the more I realize I'm not even close to being ready. I know myself; I know how I was before I got hooked on oxycodone, how I was when I first got addicted, and how I still have cravings while on Suboxone. So I know better than to start down a road that will only end up as a circle.

But my experience with my doctor's office ditching maintenance patients, ostensibly because of harassment by the state, made me worried about the possibility of something happening down the line that would prevent me from getting Suboxone, whether it be some bullshit law (though I'm hoping this isn't likely) or if I lose my job and can't afford it. My question is how realistic is this? Am I being overly concerned? I am fortunate to have been steadily employed most of my adult life (I'm 35), so I don't know what it's like to use assistance programs for medication.

If anyone with experience or knowledge about this can weigh in on this, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm worried enough about other areas of my health (I have Crohn's disease and a failing liver), so I really need piece of mind when it comes to my ability to remain on Suboxone maintenance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I too, have some of the same concerns you do. Ive been on sub just over a year.
I have a pretty good relationship with my doctor, but he's out of the office wtih a broken leg right now. lol

Not really that its funny, but this is by far the first problem,if you can call it that, that Ive had with him or the office he's out of. ive been getting my refills though, so it really hasnt been an issue.

I just wanted to tellyou that the patient assistance program thru RB has been a total relief for me. I was spending a THIRD of my take home pay on my suboxone Rx, befor I applied thru this program.

it only took about two weeks to get approved, each doctor can have THREE patients on it at once. I was the VERY FIRST one to ask my doctor about this program. he had NO IDEA.
and you get a card thats good for ONE YEAR of free suboxone, up to 24mg a day.

My year is up in October, and Im already sorta freaking out. but my doctor said he did call and ask about someone still qualifying, income wise, if they can get approved for another year.
they do it on a case-by-case basis, but my doctor said he'd write me an excellent letter of recomendation.
so I HOPE.
I know I'll still qualify financially. up to two and half times the guideline of poverty for the federal gov't is there parameters for income. Basically, a family of three, you can make up to $42,000 a year, and still qualify.
you can look it up at needymeds dot org.

theres a million things we can worry ourselves sick about. I just choose not too....LOL

I hope this eases your mind, at least a little

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
my doctor's office ditching maintenance patients, ostensibly because of harassment by the state

This is hooey and is probably your doctor giving you excuses so that he can bring in new patients that he can charge the higher induction fee. That's at least my opinion. Doctors can charge higher fees for induction costs, as many of us know.

There's nothing in the DATA 2000 act (or DEA "rules") that allow them to give directives to doctors about suboxone treatment, anymore than they get directives for prescribing oxy (other than needing the special waiver) or other Schedule III drugs.

It's a matter of the doctor's beliefs about suboxone as to whether they want to continue prescribing their patients on maintenance or not. If you spoke to your new doctor about that and s/he agrees to keep you on maintenance, then you should have no problems like the ones you had w/ your previous doctor.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you with your new doctor. Try not to worry about things that haven't happened yet. Remember, you have no control over certain things and it does no good to worry about things we cannot control.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks, Amber. That definitely eases my mind a bit. And I wish you luck in getting another year of assistance. (Fingers crossed.)

Hat, I agree. My bullshit detector went off when they told me about their new policy, not just because I expect them to be all about money; this place is run by a former addict who was pretty awesome to me when I first started out and was a mess. But the way everything went down was really strange. First, the counselor told me maintenance patients would have to come in twice a month (I was at once a month) because of the state wanting more control. So I came back two weeks later and none of the counselors were there, just a nurse who informed me the maintenance program was being discontinued. Adding to my suspicion was the fact that at the last appointment, I told the counselor I couldn't afford two visits a month, and he cut me a deal that actually worked out in my favor. So I couldn't help but feeling like an "inconvenience." Also, the state agency they claim was harassing them is the Department of Children and Families. I don't understand what the DCF has to do with Suboxone.

Ah, but I'm rambling. What's important is that I move forward and continue treatment. Anyway, thanks again. This board is great.