It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am new to this site and I don't know what to do. I've been on suboxone for about 3 years + and it has helped me so much. I quit drinking, I crave no drugs and I feel fine..... That is until recently. I just moved to a new area and went to a new doctor who immediately dropped me down to 4mg from 5mg.

At 5mg i was barely making it through and now i feel like garbage. I take 2mg in the morning and by 1 o'clock i feel withdrawals set in so i take 2mg more and by night i feel it again... i can't sleep.. my doctor says its in my head. At first i wanted to get off, but now I think i just prefer to stay on the medication. I have an addictive personality and this controls all my cravings. I work hard and have become the best technician at my company.

Why get off when i'm not ready. i'm a wuss when it comes to withdrawals and when i feel that way a gun seems to be the most likely cure. But i'm not a depressed person. Anyway i digress. Is there anything wrong with wanting to stay on Suboxone?

I really don't care to get off. i don't feel like dealing with all the hell everyone posts about. I see a new doctor Wednesday. And i'm gonna ask to be put on 6mg for a llllooonnngggg time. This way I can continue on with my life.

Any thoughts....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

if it is helping you stay off opiates and it does not cause you bad side effects than of course you should stay on it. you can always change your mind later.

Post subject: Stay On
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 pm 

I would stay on them for now until you feel ready. Just because you've been one them for three years doesn't mean anything. Sub is meant to do EXACTLY what it is doing for you. Keeping off drugs, stopping the cravings, and giving you your life back.

You are obsessing about this too much. I say you talk to this new doctor and tell the truth about your situation. There is no problem or social issue with you being prescribed a LEGAL drug as long as it's doing its job. My doctor told me that in so many words.

But don't think about taking it for life, just take it one day at a time and let the future be what it will be. If you're meant to be on it for life, then so be it. But give it some more time and who knows, maybe one day you'll be ready to taper and jump. Just stop thinking about it so much. Once you see this doctor and get it all straightened out, relax and go back to enjoying your life.

Take Care,

Rule62

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Part of the reason you may be feeling the effects of the drop so much could be that you're right around the 'ceiling' for Suboxone. The ceiling is generally accepted to be around the 4mg mark, once above 4mg, your opiate receptors are saturated and you're basically good to go. Once you start flirting with that ceiling and you go under it, you're more apt to feel it. Some of your receptors are not being taken care of so nicely and they have a tendency to get pretty mad when this happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:24 am 
Before you make the decision to stay on it for life you need to ask yourself a lot of question.

Do you want to deal with the long term symptoms of sub till you die. ( teeth damage hair loss etc etc)

Are you choosing to stay on it for life because its the best choice for you or because your scared of withdrawal?

And if this doctor is telling you its all in your head does he really have your best interest at heart?

To me it seems like you are making a very serious decision that could have a lot of consequence in the long run ( putting yourself in a hole so deep if you DO want to get off sub it will be next to impossible)

Sub matienance indefinite is pretty intense. Of course it does apply to some people. But do you think its because your such an addict you can never live sober, or because your scared.

Making a decision out of fear if never going to end good.

There are two types of pain in this world, pain of discipline ( hard work, detox, etc. ) and pain of regret, im hear to tell you pain of regret hurts a thousand times more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:25 am 
ANd one question, how does it control cravings? your are quenching your brains thirst for opiates, so your kinda giving into your cravings arent you? Am i correct in thinking this. The whole craving thing just sounds kinda awkward for me, how are you even going to have cravings when your taking an opiate in the first place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just to add and clarify my decision to stay on suboxone...

I have been through opiate withdrawal from pills and heroin at least 15 times and come clean. Most relapses have happened in 1 month of being clean. others took longer, but it seems that i crave drugs and no matter how good my life is at the time i end up back here again. I'm done with it. i don't want withdrawal pains and drug cravings anymore.

maybe one day i will choose to get off suboxone. But today is not it. i know people say there will never be a good time to get off. Well I'd rather try when i'm ready... not when someone else says so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"Do you want to deal with the long term symptoms of sub till you die. ( teeth damage hair loss etc etc)"

Can you (or anyone else) provide any scientific evidence that Bup causes tooth damage? I confess, I have made jokes about Suboxone making your hair fall out but I WAS ALWAYS JOKING! I'm amazed to see this listed as a seemingly actual side effect. Once again, please provide your source for Bup causing hair loss. I'm talking SCIENTIFIC evidence - not someone writing it on a message board on the Internet or something. I am so certain you will not find any credible evidence that Bup causes hair loss, that if you can, I'll shave my head!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Dude I agree!! I checked it out too.... nothing. Even if it did my wife loves the bald look. She thinks its sexy 8)

Oh and tooth loss mostly found in meth and coke/crack users. the reason for the tooth decay is that upper type drugs cause dry mouth which in turn leads to "meth mouth". That you can look up. I gotta say Suboxone has to be a lot safer than shooting up dope every 6 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Night - I'd try to have a serious talk with your new doc and explain to him how you're feeling. If you're having cravings, then you're at risk of relapse - tell him that. Dropping your dose isn't worth risking your life - and that's what a relapse does, places our lives at risk.

Romeo mentioned the ceiling - which is at or around 4 mg. At the ceiling our opiate receptors are usually saturated, but those of us on maintenance need to be ABOVE the ceiling so that the receptors aren't just saturated when we dose but so that they STAY saturated all the time. We need to be on a dose that addresses our cravings - if for you that's 5 mg, then that's what you need. Some people need 8, others 16. it just depends on the person - we're all different.

I also agree with the person who stated that you don't have to decide right now that you want to remain on sub forever. For me I usually say that I'll probably be on it for the long haul. If that turns out to be for life, so be it. You have plenty of time to decide when and if you're ready to get off sub. It sounds like you're just not ready for that now.

Be your own best advocate with your doctor. Try to work it out with him before trying to move on with another doctor. Oh and the most common side effects of sub treatment is constipation and sweating. Buprenorphine - the active ingredient in suboxone has been around for a very long time and is a very safe medication. There's no evidence that sub makes hair fall out or rots one's teeth.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Night,

I agree with the other posters who say stay on! Hell ya if its not broken don't fix it. You sound like you have been doing well in life...awesome!

I have been on 8mg daily for about a year and have no plans to come off right now. I don't know if I will take bupe forever, but right now I am in a good place. The only side effects I have had is some mild constipation. But I take some fiber pills that really help. My hair looks great by the way....

Good luck with your doctor on Wed. I hope he bumps you up to 6mg. Let us all know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well i think it is all about 'tolerance' your body needs time to adjust-3days to two weeks depending on the persons unique chemistry. But if you are finding it uncomfortable, by all means address the problem. Bupe is designed to help us stabalise. Sounds like you have your shit wired tight at work so im guessing you look after yourself. Oh, and ignore 'onnigrapples' he is a dickhead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hatmaker and all of you thank you so much for your support. I have "addressed the problem" and went to the new dr. today. They are willing to work with me as long as it takes and the dr had no problem when i said i have no intention of getting off it anytime soon. Like Orange Doll said "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I'm a technician and i couldn't agree more. I feel great now and my anxiety is gone. Now i can focus on more important things like taking care of my wife.

I gotta say there is nothing wrong with suboxone. It really is a great tool. The main problem are the doctors and lack of knowledge (for the public too). How can people treat someone as a drug addict when they are actively staying clean,making all their dr appointments, paying bills, and taking care of their family( both financially and emotionally).

Post subject: UPDATE F SUBOXONE
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

you know i once used Heroin for 2 years. went CT 4 times. Last time was the worst!!!! But this suboxone is a demon to get off!!! I have never felt worse withdrawals than i have trying to ct suboxone. If you need suboxone i'm all for it. Just sharing my opinion. I am now 5 days clean and barely taken any meds. I feel week but fine. I went to rapid detox!!! Here friends is my story. Go where you like but I've heard so many horror stories about rapid detox. Guess what. They must notta gone here!!! Anyway here's how it went.........

Just so you know i ain't no ad for rapid detox. you'll see I've been a member for some time. Also my avatar is vincent Valentine from final fantasy 7, the man in the coffin.Too bad they don't have a Sephiroth avatar. Also for all you against rapid detox you can suck my penis.... no off fence. maybe you just went to the wrong place. Cause its a gorram miracle!!! Please read Daniel chapter 3 that explains my experience!! Put into the furnace and not burned!!! and who was the forth man....Jesus!!! Who was there the whole time. But this is my story! And i will tell you my story!!

So you know where i'm at today is Tuesday, I went thru the procedure on Wednesday last week. That last tuesday i went to the dr. office and she put me thru all kinda tests make sure my heart's good and i aint crazy and the like. The dr was real nice! She believe in what she do. I also had to see a psychologist!! never had that happen b4. but he was real nice. Good guy!! Guess i ain't crazy. now to Wednesday.....

Wed morning 5am i was shuttled to a Hospital. My roommate was a guy named Taylor. I think he was in slight withdrawal. I guess the suboxone was still in my system. Lying on each bed was a gown and something that frightened me..... a diaper!!! Yes a diaper! The diaper soon became the butt of every joke me and Taylor could think of!! My gosh it was funny. I thought Taylor would see my diapered ass. I had to wear it.... Any way the nurses and anesthesiologist came in and gave us iv. Taylor took it like a man. I'm scared of iv needles and almost cryed as the third iv finally made it. I went first.........

Down in pre-op i was agitated and had to get up with the machines every 5 minutes to pee for some reason while mrs Chang the new nurse had no idea what she was doin. Anyway i lost some time......

Wednesday/Thursday night I was back in my room, vaguely remember sleeping, peeing, and punching a black guy 2 times hard in the head. Also pulled the iv out i guess. Vague memories. Punched a LARGE black guy!!!

Thursday morning Nurse and Dr in my room. "you are all done!" WHAT!!! I swore i never went thru the surgery!! But they were right. I was done!! Then i was shuttled back to the hotel!! And what a grand hotel!! Water in the hallway. I went strait to bed. They say its normal.......... BTW i know you r wondering..Did i poop the diaper? Not a chance man. I followed the cleansing instructions to the T . I tore that dang thing off moment i got back!!! Back to i slept. I slept till Friday!!!! Oh BTW on the ride back I told my other "friends" who went thru it to that I had NO withdrawal. I was fine!!. 2 of them said they did. But i think they were expecting this to be easy!! I watched Scrubs Friday with my wife and she ordered Jets pizza. My appetite for food is gone but I ate 3 slices. Saturday morning we leave for the airport back home. They gave us a pile of meds too.

Saturday. I got special wheelchair privledges at the airport. I was having trouble walking. But mind you only mild withdrawal since Thursday. Very mild!!!!!! Also who at 32 years old get wheelchair privileges. I gave him $10. He was nice.

Sunday and Monday i was feeling week very week. No energy. Like a Gorram baby. But here's what i take. 1 Nurontin when i wake. 1/2 clonodine later if i need and so on. I refuse to take a whole one cause i go nappy for 2 hours. I have soma, vallum, halcyon, which all make me sleepy so i don't take them at day. i ain't gonna lie though, i have trouble sleeping so doc says i can take all 3 before bed. I don't even know what half this stuff is but the nurontin is the best. I think its for restless legs and the like. which i aint had yet. ...............Monday I rode the heck out of my exercise bike to get my body goin. It worked.

So anyway its Tuesday!!!! I feel hell lot better. I just took the trash out. And it was heavy. Made breakfast and coffee too. OH... and music sounds amazing!!!!!! I even had my wife buy DR Dre beats for me. Beats are cool!! I feel so much better today than last few ones. BUT NOW HEAR ME ON THIS!! I WENT THROUGH NO WITHDRAWAL AT ALL!!! NONE. AIN'T FEELIN %100 BUT NO WANTIN TO KILL MY SELF. I AIN'T EVEN CRAVIN OPIATES OR ANYTHING. Cause the Naltrexone. And for all you against naltrexone. Shut up!!!! If they can put you under at the rapid detox for surgery without opiates it don't matter. Just buy a medical bracelet like i did just in case.

Nowfor a final note!!! And I appologis cause I am a Christian and my language ain't been so kind here!! BUT FOR ALL YOU IDIOTS WHINING ABOUT HOW HARD PAWS IS AND RAPID DETOX WONT HELP WITH THAT. GO EAT A PENIS!!!! PAWS ain't the hard part. Just deal with it and move on. I mean that 2 weeks of hard core withdrawal is the hard part. I barely got PAWS. I ain't even depressed. I sure as heck can deal with this over writhing on the floor in pain trying to grab my Ruger .38 LCR to put to my head to end the pain!!! PAWS can eat a penis!!! I described the gun so you know i was serious!!! Maybe in a day or 2 i'll hit up the range. I love shooting. But i digress. I am now free of suboxone!!! If you happen to stumble on one of my earlier posts you'll see that i once said i was gonna stay on it for good!!!! F that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am gonna post where I went for this procedure. And I'll tell you why. Cause ain't no one out there could give me details of where and when they went to rapid detox so its hard to Google it and find a good place!!!! IF I'M WRONG IN DOIN THIS PLEASE DONT ERASE MY POST! Just the last part cause i want people to know my story!! Everyone is so against Rapid Detox but it worked for me. All I needed was thru the hard core withdrawals. AND IT DID!!!! AND YES TO ME IT WAS WORTH IT!

So that was my story!!! I will recommend this place to anyone can afford it! www.rapiddrugdetox.com. i don't right know who Jeannie is but Dr. Nameth is a great woman!!! She really believes in getting you off opiates!!! This place is in Livona Michigan i think. There are so so many bad rapid detox places out there, but i did my research. They are Better Business Beaureau certified with no complaints and the procedure is in a JACO approved hospital. Not in some guy's shanty in the woods. AGAIN IF YOU HAVE TO ERASE THIS LAST PARAGRAPH JUST PLEASE DON'T ERASE MY STORY!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thank you for sharing your story, but please watch what you say to people, OK? Just because they disagree with you isn't an excuse to tell them to eat a penis or your penis or whatever you keep saying!

As for PAWS, well, it's too soon to tell if you're going to suffer from it or not. And with regard to suboxone being "the hardest to get off", you aren't supposed to go off it cold turkey!

Lastly, I don't know where you get the idea that we go around removing posts that we simply don't like, but again, watch your attitude and telling people to eat your dick. K??? That alone will get you warned/and or banned. That is the problem, NOT you telling your story, K?

Now, thanks for your continued cooperation. As you were.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Staying on Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on Suboxone for almost 6 years now and just recently my Doctor tells me he wants to now take me off. I started off 6 years ago on 4, 8mg tabs. Since then I have tapered down to 2, 8mg strips a day and have been on that dose now for about 3 years. Suboxone saved my life!!! It saved my life, saved my marriage and made me the wife, mother and citizen I want to be!

Most people tell me to get over it, do what I need to do and just get off already but it is NOT that easy!!! I am TERRIFIED of what is going to happen! I saw this post and was hoping maybe to get some help or advice on any doctors in my area that are ok with patients staying on Suboxone for as long as they want to. As long as I am staying clean, working my program and being a productive person I don't see why these Doctors are so hard on us to get off!

I am in the Cleveland Ohio area and really looking for some help.

Many Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi samantha
welcome. Im sorry your in this position. Id do the same thing, look for a new doctor.

heres a couple links.

www.naabt.org

has a doctor call you.
and this one, is from the suboxone site itself, and gives you a list within however many miles your willing to travel.

https://www.suboxone.com/patients/opioi ... octor.aspx

In the meantime, you could 'plead your case' and tell him your not ready, well all the reasons you told us anyways.
thats what I'd do. For many people I think that relapse can mean death, so bringing that up may help.
whatever it takes, right????

Well, if you need anymore info, just ask.

good luck in your search

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Amber, look for another doctor and next time you see your current doctor, tell him that you're just not ready and see if he'll let you stay on. Tell him all the positive things that have happened in your life and tell him you're afraid you'll lose those things.

If you're not ready to get off of Suboxone, then I don't think you should be forced off of it. Suboxone is clearly working very well for you.....did your doctor say why he wants you off of it??

Post subject: Re: Staying on Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

samantha79 wrote:
I have been on Suboxone for almost 6 years now and just recently my Doctor tells me he wants to now take me off. I started off 6 years ago on 4, 8mg tabs. Since then I have tapered down to 2, 8mg strips a day and have been on that dose now for about 3 years. Suboxone saved my life!!! It saved my life, saved my marriage and made me the wife, mother and citizen I want to be!

Most people tell me to get over it, do what I need to do and just get off already but it is NOT that easy!!! I am TERRIFIED of what is going to happen! I saw this post and was hoping maybe to get some help or advice on any doctors in my area that are ok with patients staying on Suboxone for as long as they want to. As long as I am staying clean, working my program and being a productive person I don't see why these Doctors are so hard on us to get off!

I am in the Cleveland Ohio area and really looking for some help.

Many Thanks!!!

I think a lot of doctors want patients off Sub so they can get a bit of turnover on their intake. With the 100 patient cap, it's not long before doctors are full up and can't take on new patients. And because so many are fearful of living without Sub, not many patients opt to taper off and thus there is next to zero turnover in a doctor's patients. With such high demand for Sub treatment, I'd imagine some doctors would like to help more people who need it and thus may wanna encourage people to go off when they're ready, so they can help others.