It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was taking 16mg of suboxone for about 4 months and decided to just get off because ot was so expensive. Well, I made a big mistake, I thought I could just quit, go to a family Dr. And get some ultram and xanax for the wd's. So, I did exactly that and have been in wd hell for about a month now. I've decided to get back on the suboxone. I have an appointment to see my sub Dr. Tomorrow. I told the secretary that the reason I just stopped going was because I couldn't afford sub anymore and I relapsed. I did start buying percs and vics off street so I could feel normal.(which is the truth) My concern is that I have benzos in my system and I'm wondering if the doc won't give me a rx for sub when they drug test me tomorrow and see benzo in my saliva. Anyone have an idea? Will I have to wait another 3 days for subs?......gosh I hope not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello msummers,

I'm sorry you had a rough go of it. About the xanax - obviously it depends on your doctor, but I doubt you'll have a problem going back on sub immediately. When I went on sub I had a large amount of xanax in my system and it wasn't a problem. Have you already stopped the xanax? How long were you on it? The reason I ask is because benzo withdrawals can be very dangerous, so you might need to taper off; however if you were only on it for a month or less, you might be OK. It just depends on the person and the dosage. Just be honest with your doc (and it sounds like you already have) and you should be fine.

So what made you decide to use ultram and xanax to assist with withdrawals? I'm just curious if the ultram may have played a part in your eventual relapse. I hope you don't mind my asking.

Once you get back on sub, if you still want off, just do a long and slow taper and you should be fine. I hope after your appointment today you let us know how you're doing. Please take care and good luck today.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd have to agree with Hatmaker that the long-slow taper is the way to go if you want to get off suboxone. Take a look at some of the threads in the "Stopping Suboxone" forum. Many have had a lot of success getting off this medication when the correct approach is used.

As far as your benzo use goes, I also agree with Hatmaker that you need to be very, very careful about stopping those. If you've been taking them longer than, say, 6 or 8 weeks, you are putting yourself in pretty severe jeopardy by suddenly stopping. I don't know what your doctor will say about it, but my advice is to BE HONEST with your doctor.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:39 am 
Msummers....I'm sorry for what you've been through. I appreciate that you posted about what happened to you. I have a feeling that this happens a lot. You're right....its is very expensive to keep this treatment going if you don't have insurance coverage for it, which many of us do not. That is part of the reason that I tried to bring my dose of Suboxone down relatively quickly after getting stabilized. It has been discussed already here quite a bit about wondering why doctors maintain people on as much as 16mg or more a day of Suboxone, when for most people 8mg a day is plenty. That's HALF your drug cost that could be eliminated just by doing that.....getting that dose down. And chances are you go even lower after a few months of therapy. Maybe that's something you can think about as you go back into treatment this time. I suggest this only in an effort to help you find a way to be able to afford to stay in treatment longer before trying again to come off Sub (if you ever want to try it again.)
As far as the relapse.....All I can say is that I would expect nothing else (other than maybe deciding to get back on Sub before relapsing to full agonists, Ultram and benzos) I just believe that it is next to impossible to stop Suboxone at a high dose or stop full agonists and expect to stay off them. It's an unrealistic expectation.....period! I hope you don't beat yourself up too much over it. The good news is....you survived the relapse and you're going back for more help. Good for you! Opiate addiction is a bitch!! It grabs us and holds on tight. I'm a big believer in treatment with buprenorphine. It lets us get used to not feeling 'high' anymore, lets us live our lives, work on our issues and start to get better and break the cycle of addiction. But is takes time....I personally feel like it takes a good year or more for most of us to be anywhere near ready to try life without it. So, again, don't feel too bad. Noone understands the suffering (physical and mental) of withdrawal from opiates (Sub or otherwise) unless they've gone through it for more than a few days. I fully understand you're seeking to feel better. The problem was, as you've now realized, you sought help in the wrong place......more drugs of abuse! That will never be the answer! Not for any of us!
As far as the benzos....I agree with the others. You must be honest with the doctor and be safely tapered off to avoid potentially big problems with that. Many doctors will not disqualify you from treatment for testing positive for benzos if you have told the truth. Most of them will, however, insist that you're on a plan to get off them.
These are just my thoughts on your situation. I'm not an expert...just another opiate addict trying to get better, and fully able to empathize with where you are at this time. Best of luck with your appointment. Please let us know how it goes. And, again, good for you for getting back on track! Just chalk it all up to 'lessons learned.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Summers,

I wouldn't wish what you're going through on my worst enemy and I feel so bad for you. However, there are a few options you could try to help with the price of this miracle medication. See if you're doctor will prescribe you the generic version of Subutex, it's about $115.00 USAD for thirty versus about 200 for thirty Suboxone. Also, if you are interested I could set you up and give you some information on the Patient Assistance Program which is sponsored by RECKITT BENCKISER the manufacturers of Suboxone. I am on the same dosage you are and am prescribed 60 pills a month for absolutely free. Your Sub doctor used to just give you the pills at the end of your appointment, now they have issued a card which is good at all pharmacies for your medication. Believe me, I've been there too, borrowing money from my parents, pawning things off for a drug that is saving my life...I thought that kind of behavior was only done to get the drugs that ruin your life.

http://www.rxassist.org/Search/Prog_Det ... N=27290605

That is the Link for information regarding the patient assistance program as well as a few financial requirements you have to meet. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask or message me.

I hope you're feeling well soon! We all are pulling for you.