It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Decided Not To Stop
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:30 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey guys,

I hope you all don't get to upset with me posting many threads. If you are, just let me know and I won't do it again. I am the one who is pregnant 35 weeks. I jumped off of 3mg and went seven days, but the stress was unbearable and the anxiety was horrible. The dr told me anyway the the stress on the baby is to much if I stop. Every thing that I went through those seven days the baby did to :( So i am back on until I have my C-Section. I will stop a week ahead of the C-Section then go back on after.

I still feel bad for staying on sub, I feel like I failed my baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:24 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Kris,

You did not “fail your baby”. You are being the best Mom possible by taking care of yourself (and the baby). If staying on Suboxone keeps you healthy, calm, and clean, then it is the right thing to do.

I was also glad to hear that you plan to go back on sub after the delivery. I would imagine that the stress of having a new baby could be a really big trigger. Being a new Mom will be hard enough without cravings and withdrawal!

Stop being so hard on yourself!

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You did not fail yourself or the baby, you did what was right for the both of you. You should not feel guilty about this at all, you know your body best and you made the right choice. Coming off suboxone is a hard enough feat in itself let alone carrying around a little person inside of you!

keep us posted.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:07 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Thanks guys :) The stress that I went through for seven days without it was unbearable, I lost like five pounds and wasn't eating. So that is not good for the baby at all. I am going to stay on the lowest dose that I can, not so low that I am not stable. I will stop a week or so before C-Section. I know I can go seven days without so I will try to go without maybe 8 days. I do plan to resume it after the baby is born also. I think maybe a couple of months after or more if I need it. With a new baby, a two year old, a 14 year old (with problems), and not to metion I got major issue with the live in boyfriend, I will stay on the sub becasue that stress would put me over the edge, not to metion my bipolar that I have to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:10 am 
If it's any consolation, opiates are among the safest drugs out there, aside from the risk of addiction. Most health problems related to opiates are secondary - related to needles or poor self care. Opiates themselves have been used for hundreds of years and are safe if they aren't abused. I think being on a low dose of Sub is better for the baby than being in active addiction. I wish you the best.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:36 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Kris, did the doctor switch you from Suboxone to Subutext during the pregnancy? I don't know if that is common practice but I have read a few different posts that doctor will do that since the Naloxone can have negative effects on the baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:57 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I am on subutex. I was switched. I seem to be ok at 4mg, but I am lower the dose to 2mg tomrrow and see if I can stay stable at that dose for ten days. My dr told me to reduce every 10days and no more then 2mg at a time. So since he knows best I will follow that. I do however want to stop days before the C-Section, I hope 10days but that may put to much stress on the baby and me. He told me 3-4 days before and I will feel the pain meds. If I have problems with them giving me pain meds in the hosptial, he said to call him and he would help me. So he is a great Dr. I go to see him on Monday and I love him. i got plenty of subutex pills, 30 in total and got a refill for 21 more, that will last me months. I got like 50 suboxone pills too, but I can't take those now because I am preggo. Dr said I could stop after I have the baby or go back on it.

I do have a question, is it ok if I skip days while I am reducing??? I have taken my dose today and I am fine, there is no anxiety or anything. I thought maybe I could just take my dose in the morning, 2mg. I thought maybe 1mg in the morning and 1mg at night. It is so hard to get the dose right because I got 8mg pills so I am going to ask him on Monday for the 2mg pills. He told me to get to one pill a day and I have done better then that.

Kristy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kris: From some of the comments you have made, it sounds like you have a pretty good Suboxone doc. His plans seem very reasonable and make sense from everything I have read. What I think needs to happen now, is you need to stop trying to be your own physician and start following everything that your doc is asking you to do. As addicts many of us have gotten into the habit of being our own physicians. The unfortunate fact that some docs seem less than experienced with Bup forces us to question and often times not follow the advice they provide - sometimes with very good reason - is problem enough. However, in your case, I think that you really have a good doc and his directions should be followed. If he says to stop four days prior to delivery - then stop four days prior to delivery. Don't try to do 10 days or some other amount. In other words, don't start trying to be your own physician again. If he says dose once a day and don't drop more than 2 mg - then do it. Don't come up with your own different plan. If nothing else, take a look back at what has gone on the past couple of weeks. You attempted to be your own doc - with less than good results. I'm not at all trying to come down on you here. I just see what looks to be a pattern of wanting to run the show - when you really should follow your doctor's orders. Good docs are hard to find. Please take advantage of the one you seem to have found by doing EXACTLY what he suggests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Kristy,

Buprenorphine has a half life of 36 hours so you can skip a day if need be, although unless directed by your doctor I would not recommend it. If you plan on totally skipping today then be sure to take your dose as soon as you wake up tomorrow as not to put any extra stress on you and the little one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:48 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Well I guess in a way I have been trying to be my own doc!! I don't know, i thought I could quit and it would be better for the baby, well that didn't work because by the time the sub got out of my system, it caused me so much distress that I was to the point to going to the hostpial, so that wasn't a great idea for me and the baby. The sub dr told me that too, he told me last time I saw him would I rather stay on a low dose of sub or go through w/d and casue stress on my baby. Which is worse and he told me about three women that he treated that were preggo and had their babies and they all were fine. These women were on three pills a day and I am only taking 4mg. No the dr said nothing about skipping days, I guess there I am acting like the doc :( I guess I think I know what is best for the baby, but the sub dr has experience. Why should I risk distress on the baby. I guess i am just worried about delivery and them knowing I am on subutex :( I am afraid they won't treat my pain how selfish is that :( There that is the truth and I am so scared that the baby will go through w/d so I though 10 days would get it out of the babies system, there again I am acting like th doc. So hat do you do when you worry about such things. I feel so selfish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

kris,

It is ok for you to be worried about being in pain after your c-section - that doesn't make you selfish or a bad mom. C-sections are major surgery, which can be worrying enough in itself, and then you have the added stress of wondering how you will be treated due to being on Subutex. Most of us have experienced judgemental healthcare professionals, we have good reason to wonder if we will be looked down upon or if we will be denied the meds we need to treat our pain. I think you are doing great for someone in such a stressful situation.

Since you are only on 2-4mgs of Sub per day, I don't think you have too much to worry about with regards to pain mgmt. And your doctor sounds like he understands and will be there for you. You may or may not have issues with the nurses and your pain meds. I will tell you, I had a C-section with my daughter, and I had some complications afterwards that increased my pain level. This was LONG before I ever had a problem with opiates and I certainly wasn't on Suboxone. Still, there was this one bitch of a nurse who would delay my pain meds, only give me half as much as the other nurses, or try to just give me ibuprofin instead of the percoset. My partner had to complain about her repeatedly. She came right out and said she was "worried about me getting addicted to the pain meds," which was totally ridiculous since I'd only been there for like 2 days at that point. In the end, I complained and I got my pain meds and I was ok.

I guess the point of my story is that you can't control what the nurses & doctors think. Some will be judgemental and some will be saints. Just be prepared to advocate for yourself, or better yet have someone who can advocate for you. Make sure your OBGYN knows that you have a high opiate tolerance and that s/he writes the orders for your pain meds accordingly. If you can get your Sub doc and your OB to talk before the birth, that might be a good idea too. Don't worry about what they think about your Subutex. The only rational thing they should think about you being on Sub is that you are taking care of your issues and you should be commended for doing so. You are a good mother for doing so. You remember that, ok?

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:32 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

My OB is out there and I don't think he even remembers me being on subutex!!!! I go see him this week and will talk to him. I see my sub dr tomorrow and I will tell him my concerns. He may be the one that will give me my pain meds. He is that great of a dr. My OB will more then likely send me home with percocet 5/325 and with my tolance, that will not be enough. That is what he gave me last time and at that time I wasn't doing pills and they worked. I am just so afaird that I will be in pain at home :( but I have such a wonderful sub dr so I will tell him my concerns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:06 pm 
Hi Kris...I'm glad you decided to just go back to a small dose of Subutex. I have felt all along that it would be safer for you and baby to do it this way. Stick with what your Sub doc has told you to do and you should be fine. I really feel that if you're able to be off the Sub for 3-4 days before your C/S, your pain meds should work okay for you. I would imagine that you will be given an epidural or a longer-acting spinal block for your surgery. If it's an epidural, some institutions leave a tiny catheter (tube) in your back so that you can have a continuous or re-infusion of anesthetic and stay comfortable with that for the first 24 hours or so. Other institutions place spinal blocks with a long-acting drug which will wear off gradually over 12-24 hours.
Ask your doctor for a drug called Toradol (ketorolac) after surgery. It is not a narcotic and it is used often after surgery. It is a really great NSAID and I think it will help you a lot. If you don't have any complications, there's a good chance that you won't need any Rx pain meds at all after the first few days. Back when I had my C/S (I was a lot younger and stronger and wasn't an addict then either) I didn't even fill my Rx for Percocet when I went home on day 3. I had had to have an emergency C/S and my baby had to stay in the NICU for an extra week. I wanted to be able to drive myself back and forth to be with her, so I refused to take pain pills. I was sore, but it wasn't anything I couldn't tolerate. Oh my....how things change!! I wish I could go back to those days!! Sorry.... I digress! Anyway Kris.....back to you.....I agree with you about talking to your Sub doc about your pain meds for afterwards. 5mg oxycodone won't do squat for any of us with a high opiate tolerance. Hopefully, he'll Rx something stronger. But as soon as you start feeling better and not having too much postop pain.....get off the pain pills and back onto your Subutex or Suboxone.
I'm proud of you for trying so hard to do the right thing and I think you have do so. We're all pulling for you! Keep talking things through with your doctors and do as the Sub doc says.....like donh said, let them be the doctors! You're doing good!

Post subject: setmefree
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:21 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Thanks, I think it was the right choice also to stay on it. I don't think the OB will give me any thing stronger, but I will talk to the sub dr, I am sure he will help me. It was my OB that gave me Pain meds for my back pain at 20weeks. Then he cut me off and I went into bad w/d. I called and asked if he could wean me and his nurse said no I am sorry. So I spent about two days in hell then I went to my regular dr and he gave me some pain meds to wean, but of course I couldn't wean, I tried three times!!! Then i found my dr, and he takes my insurance - I pay only $33 a visit and only pay $10 for my subutex pills - 21 of them. You know it also helps my bipolar, it is crazy but ever since I have been on it my moods don't change as much. I don't need as much bipolar meds. I was able to stop one of them because of the sub. You know it is the best thing. Tomorrow I will try to go down to 2mg and stay there. If I can't then I will stay at 4mg. Today is my baby shower, you without subutex I don't know where I would be, maybe at a dr office somewhere trying to get pills. Man i was terrible, at least i got my life back now