It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anyone in the Wisconsin area? Have you heard the news (I'm sure) about the Suboxone related deaths? Of course, Suboxone was partially to blame. But, it scared me that it would give it a 'bad name'. Of course, there already is some just because its for 'opiate dependence'.

Of the one death, the 15 year old Maddie Kiefer had 6 drugs in her system when she died. Of course, the Suboxone was all over the news. Don't you love the media?

Any Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm really hoping most people can see how many people it's helped as opposed to the few people who've O-D'ed on it in combination with other drugs. Unfortunately I'm not real sure that will be the case, alot of people like to legislate out of fear first then start looking at the facts later. To make a point when I was first considering treatment I briefly thought about MMT (methadone maintenance) but realized the closest facility was over 60 miles away. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't go that route not that I think it's not neccessarily a bad thing for some people, my philosophy being anything that can help someone not O-D, steal, lie, destroy relationships is a wonderful thing but ya'll know how it goes. Indiana has voted several times to stop new MMT programs from going up stating they'd like more research done on it first, even though from what I've read it's one of the most researched drugs we have out. I think the reasoning behind Subox being approved was that many saw how many opiate addicts were not getting treatment and people are so afraid of methadone. It will be a real shame if they force us into daily dosings I'm actually starting to enjoy some freedom in my life :) we'll see what happens just need to start taking a stand against those people who think it's ok to divert medication illegally

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I live in westallis. ANd i think its garbage. THe last thing suboxone needs is bad press. It needs positive news!@

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This probably means that I'm a real shithead, but whenever I read about people OD'ing on Sub or a combo of Sub and something else, the first thing I think/feel is not sympathy or pity for the victim, but RAGE.

Why do people always have to go and eff-up a good thing? Suboxone isn't even fun, so why are people using recreationally? Why don't people go online and read about drug interactions before they just do a bunch of shit all together?

Because you know there are moralizing, puritanical a-holes out there that think we Sub patients are getting off too easy and would love to take away our medication in the name of saving some fool from killing herself. But you know that's not their real motivation, because if they cared about addicts dying they would practice HARM REDUCTION and get more people onto Sub and MMT and into treatment - instead of passing laws that you can be arrested if you stay on the scene of an overdose and wait for help to come. BRILLIANT.

CAN YOU TELL THAT I AM ANGRY ABOUT THIS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!! :evil:

So yeah, we have the combination of ignorant law-enforcement, moralizing policy makers and idiot drug-addicts out there just doing their thing and sooner than later this trifecta of incompetence is going to converge with the media in such a way that making Suboxone illegal or much much harder to get is going to look like the logical/politically expedient thing to do and then we'll all be up a creek, won't we.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, the press went nucking futs about the suboxone overdose. One of them had 5 drugs in her system, but of course, that bad bad bad suboxone was to blame.

If you aren't tolerant to opiates, suboxone can give some euphoria, so it does have some abuse potential just like anything else. Hell, benadryl in large doses causes something of a psychotic state.. So, anything can be abused.

I hope that they don't start to limit things more than they already have. There is a 100 patient limit which is kind of silly honestly, I don't really see how that prevents diversion if that was the intention.

There will always be the stupid that will do stupid things, like melt a sub under their tongue, pop a couple xanax chasing it with a shot of vodka and a hit of pot to smooth out the burn of the vodka. Unfortunately, they get all the attention, not the 1000's saved from the drug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Damn Diary you literally said everything I was thinking, thanks :lol: Now you look like the shithead and not I ...Lol just a joke I totally agree with you. The odds and society really seemed to be stacked against opiate addicts who wanted to get clean until Suboxone (or MMT first I should say until that was regulated to the point where to most people MMT isn't even an option) if non opiate addicts keep getting their hands on Sub it's only going to be a matter of time and then even more addicts will be dying annually (of course who really cares their just addicts right?) and I'll blame the clowns who think it's cool to sell meds when they're supposed to be in recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I too blame the clowns who sell their pills when they're supposed to be in recovery, but I also blame doctors. Not all doctors, just the ones who overprescribe Suboxone.

I'm sure that many of the folks who get 2, 3, even 4, 8mg pills a day have figured out that they can take 1 8mg pill and sell the rest without ever feeling the difference. My doctor has never made me bring my pills in for a count, even though they said they would when I first started seeing him.

It would be nice if more Suboxone doctors would take the time to get informed about addiction. I should also qualify this to say that I know there are some very awesome Sub docs out there who care deeply about their patients and who are really interested in helping people with addiction.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh for sure I'd bet that's exactly what's happening. It does blow my mind that everytime someone O.D.'s from a cocktail of benzos, Sub, and alcohol that the media automatically blames Sub I mean seriously wtf? Sub is definately the least dangerous of the three. Too many people who still don't understand how bupe works and why it's so different from agonists. As to why non opiate addicts would want to abuse Sub I couldn't tell ya unless there isn't anything else around I honestly couldn't even think of a worse opiate to try and abuse maybe loperamide I guess lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Of course Suboxone was mentioned because it wouldn't be right to play fair. I will bet the young woman had some type of benzodiazepine in her system as well. Maybe if the news people took the time to explain how the interaction was the problem, more people would not be on a Suboxone rampage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I got interviewed by the Appleton paper for their story on the deaths, and their coverage was OK for the most part. I wanted them to realize that Suboxone plus other respiratory depressants is much safer than an equivalent amount of an opiate agonist with an equivalent respiratory depressant-- I wanted to get that out, because some people made the mistake of thinking that there was something particularly dangerous about Suboxone! I also explained that in Fond du Lac county we have had about 20-30 drug overdoses causing death every year for the last few years; they never make the paper, because they have become almost routine. I don't know the numbers of Milwaukee county (I found them on the internet for Fond du Lac, in the coroner's annual reports) but I'm sure they are much higher.

You need two things to die from Suboxone/buprenorphine; a relatively low opiate tolerance, and a second respiratory depressant (like benzos or alcohol). Remember that benzos are basically alcohol in pill form; they both work at the gaba receptor, just at different subunits of the same receptor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't even know that non opiate addicts were taking suboxone... these people must be bored as hell. Surely a few vicodin would be more fun and easier for them to get. This is very strange news to me. I know I’m an addict with a tolerance to opiates, but I don't even feel the effect's of a sub..... Ever. I just don't get sick when on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Their was a kid that passed away in buffalo newyork last month and suboxone was in his system as well. just like around you it was all over the news and in the papers giving sub a bad name but the parents had a good deal to do with that. they blamed suboxone cause it didnt stop their son from useing herion and he just sold his scripts of sub to supply his habbit. That really upset me that they tryed to blame suboxone for those reasons blame his dr b4 u bad mouth a med that has helped so many people. but at the same time if you loose your child your not gonna be in the right mind so i dont blame them they were just upset and im sure they still are.