It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:57 am 

Bboy42287 wrote:
Just wanted to thank you both for sharing such heart touching stories. Suboxone very well could of saved there life's. I just think the OP is trying to say that not everyone is aware of what comes along with suboxone. Yes it can be life saving but at the same time it could ruin ones life too. I won't lie I might not be here now posting this if it wasn't for suboxone but at the very same time I might not have to take a handful of mental health pills every day if I knew what long term side effects it has. I guess all I'm trying to say when I was taking suboxone it should of not been a maintenance drug just a short term drug bc at that point in time the Drs RB had no clue what long term effects this drug has. I was there test subject basically but me and anyone else who has a negative experience is wrong and shunned.

Bboy, I think your last statement (which I underlined) is not fair to this forum or its members. I can't speak for your entire history here, but since I've been a mod here you've been treated well and fairly. I understand that your views aren't necessarily in the majority here, but you certainly haven't been shunned. You tend to keep yourself separate by only posting on negative threads like this. I rarely see you offer support to someone who is struggling or greeting a newcomer. Your decision to stay isolated does not mean that you have been shunned.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

He's doped to the gills on 200mgs of methadone everyday and has the nerve to talk down about subs, when the day comes when he has to get off his precious legal euphoric dope Im sure he will be whistling a different tune about that as well. Ive was on methadone maintenance 10 years ago and coming off it after 3 years was an absolute nightmare, hands done worse than any other opiate Ive ever come off. Subs aren't a cakewalk either but they are far less miserable than methadone. I had to do 2 weeks in jail for a probation violation several years ago and I was on bupe at the time, they flat out denied dosing me and I had to cold turkey 8mgs in a cell and they kept me in a cell alone 24 hours a day for the whole two weeks because they said I was a danger to myself and others in general population because of my WD (still dont understand that) and guess what? Withdrawaling from bupe in jail in a solitary cell was less miserable than methadone on my couch with all the comforts of home.

If I was just some idiot who had never experienced MMT before and was speaking about it I would be a troll but Ive been through it and no one is gonna try and pull the wool over my eyes about what its really about. MMT clinics are full of using addicts who don't want to get clean, you may find 1 out of 10 if you're lucky who use the program correctly. I hated everyday in that clinic listening to all the people talking about selling their dose, trading it, trying to sell benzos etc etc. I found that people on less than a 100mgs were usually the honest ones and then you find the ones on 150-200mgs of it who try to whine to you that they "need" that much to "hold them". There aren't many addicts who have the means to support a street habit or any habit for that matter that raises their tolerance above where 200mgs of methadone will hold them, you'd have to be a dealer or a trust fund kid and even then its not easy.

But they will whine and cry to you that they need that much when intelligent people know they are full of it, keep chasing that high its only gonna kick your ass in the long run and you'll end up like those poor saps on the documentary "methadonia" 30 years later taking huge doses wishing with every fiber of your being that you could get off of it because your so tolerant it does nothing but constipate you and make you sluggish. So glad Im not on that poision anymore and that bupe has now all but replaced it.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Buprecision,
That was as good a rant about mmt as I've ever heard, bravo. So true about what a horror show it is to get off of long term methadone! I think Dr J. summed it up pretty well when he said something like- the fact that the folks detoxing off of Suboxone are even on their computers writing on this forum speaks volumes, the ones detoxing off methadone are too sick to look at their computers. Boy, I sure was, even after tapering down first. That was a rough six months w/o sleep too.
What MMT did do for me was keep me alive long enough to get access to Buprenorphine. Yeah it was a drag, especially at the for-profit clinic where each week there seemed to be a new hoop to jump through. And I especially hated having to tell other doctors I was seeing that I was on MMT. A primary care doc I was seeing accused me of drug seeking behavior when I asked her for Clonidine or Tizanidine while tapering methadone down from 70 to 30mgs followed by 72 hours abstinence to prep for Suboxone induction. She wouldn't believe me when I told her the clinic I was at had close to 500 patients and one docotor just three mornings a week. Comfort meds were not part of the deal there. The stigma of MMT will break your spirit if the MMT hasn't broken it all by itself. I did see a MMT clinic done the right way in New Haven CT run by Yale University, absolutely amazing people working there made it completely bearable. They do Buprenorphne now as well ,thank God...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Doctors in general should do a better job of informed consent regarding all medications. I'm a huge advocate of Suboxone but it's not for everyone. That said. For those that use it, most get tremendous benefit but most isn't everyone.

I can appreciate a bad outcome and one's desire to vent. We all vent about something at some point in our lives, even to those that do not want to hear it.

I've seen Suboxone save numerous lives, I've also seen it ruin teeth.

Lastly, I've seen Ibuprofen taken as directed and cause stomach bleeds and death.

It happens.