It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:55 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello All,
Just want to start by saying thanks to everyone here :) I was induced on 8mg Subutex generic 4 days ago,doing ok with WD symptoms (today was worst so far)but simply can not sleep! I know this is common,but I have chronic insomnia (even while taking 200mg hydrocodone a day, can't sleep without ambien, which I wake up from and redose each night - total, two 10 mg zolpidem, cr makes no difference) My MD prescribed me 8 mg subutex daily (ok to take a second dose late day if needed - and I haven't because I can not afford it and am worried how I'm going to stay on as is!!)plus...
750 mg Robaxin - up to 4 daily
50 mg Atarax - up to 3 daily
0.1 mg Clonodine 1 at night
50 mg Benadryl 1 at night
10 mg Zolpidem 1 at night

This seems like more medication than ever. I feel like a zombie,not sure if it's part WD, all the meds or the fact I still sleep only about 4hrs each night!
I am not feeling extremely confident in the MD, who after only 4 days already has not returned a phone call. I wondered as to - and no,I'm not the type who calls endlessly all day-
Sleep wise, when I told him of the situation, he added seroquel!
I am so confused and do not have a support system...
The question I had wanted answered was this:
I'd like to not take the benadryl, seroquel and ambien and try 5 - 10 mg diazepam, as I hear it lasts longer and may keep me asleep longer? I am not sure if this could be worse than all the above? I am scared and confused - really want to stay off the hydro - I have allowed it to steal all positives from my life...but at this point I wonder what's worse...all these new drugs seem extreme?? Most importantly, I NEED SOME SLEEP! Can anyone identify with any of this? Any and all sharing is extremely appreciated, and I thank you for even reading through this mess!!
Thank you all!!
Cat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:39 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

luvcat13 wrote:
My MD prescribed me 8 mg subutex daily (ok to take a second dose late day if needed - and I haven't because I can not afford it and am worried how I'm going to stay on as is!!)plus...
750 mg Robaxin - up to 4 daily
50 mg Atarax - up to 3 daily
0.1 mg Clonodine 1 at night
50 mg Benadryl 1 at night
10 mg Zolpidem 1 at night

You didn't mention if your plan is to taper or try maintenance for a period of time. If maintenance is the route you're planning on going my recommendation would be to stabilize on a daily amount of medication that does not fluctuate daily i.e 8mg, 12mg or 16mg EVERY DAY, ideally once daily unless dosing multiple times daily for pain or as otherwise directed by your Dr. Once daily dosing is adequate due to the long half-life of buprenorphine and ideal as it breaks the cycle of taking a substance to mood-alter multiple times daily. The medications you've listed are stereotypical detox protocol meds.

Robaxin is a non-narcotic muscle relaxant
Atarax is hydroxyzine which is an anti-histamine medication with sedative properties likely being used for anxiety/panic as a non-benzodiazepine.
Clonidine is a blood pressure medication often used during opioid withdrawal
Benadryl is another anti-histamine probably being used to promote sleep in this case
Ambien is obviously a sleeping medication

This cocktail tells me that your Dr. is likely going to try to avoid prescribing benzodiazepines, right or wrong, without at least eliminating other options. You're suggesting the nightly use of a benzodiazepine for sleep and the major issue with that is (in prescribers mind) abuse potential and tolerance (in my mind.) 5 or 10mg of diazepam will never stay there and remain as effective for any length of time, unfortunately.

I think if you focus on getting on a stable dosage of buprenorphine for 1 or two weeks lots of things will 'even out.' Good luck and keep us posted!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.