It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So today is day 28. No more RLS ! I have actually been sick with a sinus infection, so I have rested as much as possible. It is a much different experience not having norcos or subs to make me feel better. I am taking antibiotics and decongestant - antihistamine. So I felt like total crap for 4 days, but much Bette today.

This is really weird, but I feel like it has been so long ago since I was taking subs. I also thought I would take a class about addiction and recovery. So I will keep everyone posted in the coming weeks about what I learn. MAybe it won't be. Anything I don't already know, but I thought it would help me understand more about this whole thing.

Hope everyone is doing well out there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SherGonnastop-
Hello and congrats on your success. You have reached new ground in your recovery and I think educating yourself further would be very good for you.Addiction is a disease that does not just go away, we have it always and it may come in a different form-sometimes destructive-sometimes not. It is the behavior, the brain, that creates the problems- the way we think about whatever it is we are abusing. Our decision making process becomes distorted because of our "need".
Have you any ideas on where to take a class locally? There is a wealth of information available online through SAMHSA's website. You can never know enough about addiction- I started educating myself years ago and now have an office filled with books, pamphlets, etc- and there is always new information being released. Knowledge is power! Best wishes to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for your post. Yes, I already registered for the class. But I will check out your suggestion. I love to learn about how this all works- and the reasons for it. I am a science specialty, so this is just another tool to add. Do you work with recovering addicts? When you mentioned your office, I just was wondering. Also, were you on subs? If so, did you get off of them? Or what is your story? Interested to hear.

Take care and Ty

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey SherGonnastop -

I'm glad to hear you're doing great!

I was in school last year in a chemical dependency counseling program and some of the classes were so interesting. I'd definitely like to hear about what you're learning! I'm not in school right now and I'm considering going for a psychology degree instead of the CDP, but like you said, it's another tool in your belt.

Hope you're feeling better from that sinus infection. Those are the pits. Take care and keep us posted.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ty Diary! Kids and Hubby sick now, it has been a rough week, but getting better. So I am interested to know why you are thinking the psychology degree instead? I am considering changing gears in the future. I am working on my second masters right now- finish in Dec. This addiction class is outside the masters. I wanted to boost my raise faster by taking another class. But now I am thinking of going for a doctorate, but something in addiction. I think I would totally get it and would really spark my interest even more than what I do now-I teach. So combining that with this would be awesome.

Any advice would be great- especially since you have taken classes in the area and can maybe steer me into possible career choices if I decide to go that route.

Thanks again. Did you quit subs? I haven't been on the boards much it has been too crazy around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have been off of Suboxon for almost 2 years now :D

I'm thinking of switching tracks in school for a few different reasons. I always planned to get a psychology degree and go to grad school. Getting my Chemical Dependency Professional certification was going to be a stepping stone along the way. It is a short program - only 2 years - and I figured it would be a way for me to start working in my chosen field while I finish my BA and go to grad school.

I attended classes in the CDP program for 3 quarters. While I really liked some of the classes, the further I got into the program the more I got the feeling that it might not be the right choice for me. There are several reasons for this, and I'll PM you about them if you want. But one of the major deciding factors was the fact that there aren't any jobs available in my area at this time. Budget cuts meant that many very experienced CDP's lost their jobs so new CDP's and interns are competing with them for the few jobs that are available.

My passion in school has always been psychology though, and I'm not ruling out specializing in addiction or making it a focus of my studies. I just don't think that the CDP program is the route I'm going to use at this time. If you want to hear more details let me know and I'll PM you.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SherGonnaStop,

Thanks for the update!!! Wow, am I ever happy for you. I know in my case, understanding everything I could about addiction helped me tremendously. I think your desire to learn more about addiciton is super and it speaks volumes to me about how dedicated you are to your sobriety!! Good for you!!!

Talking about being sick, I caught something last Tuesday and it just won't leave me alone. I feel a good bit better today, but still not 100%. Yuck!! Being sick SUCKS!!