It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,

I was addicted to Norco and Vicodin for about five months after a surgery I had. Once I knew I had a problem I went to an addiction doctor who put me on subs, the first try he did a 10 day taper and by the 11th day I was horribly depressed and couldnt fuction. Well needless to say we tried a 45 day taper and this worked much better. Today is my 7th day off subs and I still feel out of it, and somewhat depressed. I have a flat feeling like im not myself. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and it so how long it lasted.

Many thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi broken and welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear that sub helped you. What you might be experiencing are symptoms of PAWS-that is, post-acute withdrawal syndrome. It's normal to get that after stopping opiate use. Some people experience this, but not all. I will add that because your addiction history is pretty short-lived, the PAWS you are experiencing shouldn't (hopefully) last too long. Try to get some exercise in daily...that will help get your endorphins going on their own. I hope you feel better soon. Oh and feel free to ask any questions you may have. Again, welcome!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This stuff takes time. Just like an injury takes time to heal, your brain takes time to adjust back to its drug free state. You may feel depressed a bit in the short term. It's also quite rattling to know that you've just come out of addiction. It's life changing stuff, and it takes time to find your bearings again.

Keep in mind that you're only on day 7 and still likely suffering at least some acute withdrawal. Like hatmaker said, exercise really helps speed up the recovery.

If it's that serious you're considering harming yourself or others talk to your doctor ASAP.