It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 11 days on Sobox
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Eleven days in and I can totally see that this will work for me. It took a good week to not have to fight my eyes to keep them open. And I am still 'short fused', and this part is easy for people to pick up on, for I am usually a pushover. Simple things agitate me, while it doesn't fit my personality, I'm sure it'll pass. Until then I tell my colleagues and friends that I'm having sleeping issues/allergy issues/....... lol.

The only other side effect I've noticed is that my smoking as 'at least' doubled. Wow, I'm smoking more now than ever in my life. The craving for nicotine is super strong. But as I recall, after abusing a stronger pill I would crave just as much.

I had no idea my doctor would be of this much support. He's been seeing me weekly to check on the dose and general well-being. This is a little much for me though, working 8-4 professional job, this next appt I finally get in at 4:30. The doc says that hopefully after this next appointment he will see me bi-weekly instead of weekly. Wow, and I live 30 minutes from his office. But in the end, its all worth it.
I was also looking forward to the counseling part of this, though the psychologist I'm going to see is booked until late September. I guess I'll use this time to try and organize my thoughts, and figure out how I let myself get into this situation.

Sobox seems to be the right move for me, hopefully the edginess in my mood will change soon. Either way, I'm sticking with it, and want to start thinking about a wean date.

Thanks for hearing me out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Peter,

I'm glad to hear you're stabilizing on sub. It's great that your doctor is so supportive. Not all doctors are like that. And I can tell you from my own personal experience that therapy is a great way to go and of tremendous help to me. Many of us used drugs to begin with to deal with traumas and/or feelings that we couldn't handle. For me it was both. Plus it was the only coping skill I had. Therapy helped me to deal with all those things and to teach me new coping skills. Do you think perhaps your agitation is that now without drugs you might just be uncomfortable in your own skin, feeling emotions that you're not accustomed to feeling? It's just a thought.

Again, I'm happy to hear you're doing so well. Keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: smoking
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi there, and welcome! I just wanted to mention--not so much with sub, but being high on opiates always made me want to chain smoke. And I pretty much chain smoked anyway, until recently when I tried chantix. If you're considering quitting smoking, I'd recommend trying it. If you don't want to quit smoking, but just are worried about the sub making you smoke more...I don't know, I ahve heard a couple of other people say they had that problem too. I would think if it doenst' pass, if you dont' have success on your own going back to your normal level...you might want to talk to your doctor. I dont' think you're supposed to take chantix (or zyban) to help you just cut down on smoking, but maybe you could. I havent' successfully quit smoking yet either, I'm on the chantix and still smoking a little bit....but it's so much better than chain smoking like I was ...adn...I'm going to try to quit all the way too, I havent' given up. Anyway, other than that it sounds like the sub is working ok for you now that you're past the first week, and I'm glad to hear that. This forum has been great for me to get support and also as a source of info--I've learned a ton of stuff about sub here, much more than my doctor seems to know. So I hope you'll find it helpful here too.