It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 11 days off subs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys...

This isnt my main sub forum, but I read here from time to time.

Lets make this brief.

I'm 28 and have been on subs for about 6 years now. Started out out was on about 4 mg most of the time.... after a year on subs, tried to jump from 2 or 3 mg, didnt sleep for 2 weeks... gave up...

Then about 3 years ago now (wow unreal) I tapered from about 2 mg to .15 mg over the course of about 6 months. Stopped for 25 days, and even using about 50 mg of tramadol a day, and sometimes valium... gave up. Couldnt sleep,

So after that failure I feel backwards slowly. About 4 months ago I found myself snorting about 6 mg of subutex daily .... small lines 4-5 times a day.

So I've spent about 3 months tapering. I don't really get anxiety but when I initially jumped from 6 mg 5 times a day snorting to 2 mg strips twice a day under tongue....

lets just say that week will be seared in my mind forever. my friends thought I was losing my mind. I was in horrid condition. it hurt to exist. like a thousand needles penetrating my mind. physically, i was okay, and could sleep. it was all anxiety and depression.

after that.... i had a few rough jumps with 1-2 days of anxiety / depression in the middle... but nothing like that.

key: i didnt just leave things the way they were. i used the tapering time to uproot my life. changed my sleep schedule, diet, working out, etc, etc, etc EVERYTHING.

Anyhoo... about a month ago i finally got to once a day dosing. then i was at .12 for a few days.... then .09 for a few days.... .06 for a few days..... and at about .04 or .05 i realized my dose wasnt really doing antyhing. in fact, it had an opposite affect. i was looking forward to relief....and when it didnt come an hour or two after dosing.... it disappointing me.

it was time to stop. so i did 11 days ago.

i have had no acute withdrawal. of course, typically, after being invincible to disease for 6 years, i get the flu on wednesday with a temp of 103 in one of the two ebola cities (akron)....

but im better today..... ive slept fine.... i take immodium for some mild stomach issues and 25mg of trazadone some nights... but not all..... i have klonipan, and took a quarter of a pill at one point during the taper when my heart rate was up.... but that was it.

it is literally no different than i felt during the last month of the taper.

and believe me. im terrible when it comes to withdrawal. im a wimp. im aweful at this stuff.

Post subject: Re: 11 days off subs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello. Welcome...I am ahead of you by a day, coming off of 2mg. The sleep is the worst issue! After 4 nights in bed (had Xanax until same night insomnia starting to kick in, Mon) wide awake, tossing and turning I picked up a script for Traz also. Its 100mg tho, Im afraid to use it but desperate for just 1 night good sleep. Im hoping it helps with my extreme low energy and lead suit feeling. I also have very fragmented or no thoughts. I don't want to discourage anyone but this is worse than full agonist as far as length of duration. I thank god the thoughts I have are fleeting and not 24/7 about all the crazy shit that goes thru an addicts head. Hey...I hope this time sticks!! Congrats on getting that far in your taper! I couldn't go beyond 2. I felt like shit anyway so I just did it...after 3 yrs.

Post subject: Re: 11 days off subs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It WILL end eventually-- but not in 12 days. Realize that because of the shape of the dose/response curve (and the ceiling effect), a person's tolerance doesn't go down all that much until the buprenorphine is totally discontinued.

I've stopped agonists a couple times. Both times, I didn't start to feel anywhere near normal until 8 weeks, and my appetite came back at 12 weeks. Buprenorphine isn't longer or shorter than any other opioid; the issue is the change in receptors induced by tolerance, and the time for the body to regenerate new receptors.

It WILL end-- in about 8 weeks. Many people have an occasional horrible day, but things generally move in a positive direction after 3-4 weeks. But ANY opioid stimulation will slow down the recovery in a big way.