It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ive been on suboxone for close to a year, my insurance got switched and wouldnt cover my scripts anymore so im running low on my supply and need to stop. About two weeks ago I made a quick taper schedule since school is around the corner and Wd during school is not gonna happen. So after being around 2 mg for over 6 months i decided to cut down to 1 mg , .75 , .5 then finally .25 in two weeks. However on my last day at .25 I gave in and did an 80 oc (dont ask why i can never justify my using). I figured this would worsen WD but it hasnt. Day 1 and 2 were kinda bad but nothing i couldnt handle by laying around all day. Its day 3 and i feel better than yesterday. Can that be possible? Im wondering if the OC has shortened the WD period but the Sub has decreased the intensity of the WD. Ive tried getting off sub before and it sucked but now I just have some anxiety that I can fix w some Klonopin or MJ ( I never smoke, this week is an exception). Should I be expecting this to get worse? Do you think the full agonist played a role in it? Im very curious to hear your ideas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:18 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Being that you're a pharmstudent, I think that you probably know the answer to your question. Just as a person can alleviate wd when relapsing off Sub, the full agonist definitely could have alleviated some of the withdrawal that you might have felt had you not taken it (especially considering that you were on your last day of tapering and, therefore, probably didn't take any Sub to knock the full agonist off your receptors). Of course, taking an 80 OC is counterproductive to tapering off sub and staying clean. :wink:

It's been a few days since you posted this, but I really wanted to reply because I just reduced my dose to 2mg today (I've been stable at 4mg for a couple of months now) and I experienced some craving earlier (Damnit!) I read your post and it was like a kick in the gut. I was so friggin' jealous that you did an 80 oc, even though I didn't want to be.

Reacting as I did to your post, I wonder if I'll ever make it when I come off Sub. I can't imagine doing what you did and then just walking away. I know that if I were to do oxy while tapering off, my head wouldn't allow me to stop at just one time. I would have to do it just one more time in order to quiet my head and then just one more time again, only to have to do it just one more time... The obsession makes me crazy and that's how the addiction wins.

I hope that your one time didn't and never will lead to another and that your taper has been a complete success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

christin,

thanks for the reply, and yeah im six days off subs now and havent relapsed, not to say i havent thought about it but i have some heavy reasons to stay clean. However when tapering my dose down i did it quickly without telling my doc ( wanted the extra pills just in case) and i got down to about 2 mg or so fairly easily. Then my insurance changed and wouldnt cover the meds so i cut down to 1 mg pretty easily. I always get cravings but the discomfort of tapering down to 1 mg really wasnt so bad. I only experienced discomfort after I was totally off but I will tell you this, ITS NOT THAT BAD! i had the anxiety fits which are the worst for me along w the restlessness but it was just on no level compared to OC Wds. I basically laid around for a few days and watched movies thru it and i feel fine now. I heard the stories of WD lasting weeks but im just not seeing the effects and believe me i was scared to come off subs for good. ive been putting it off for a good 6 months but now that im in it, I can literally say theres tons of hope for you and everyone else. Its not that bad just try and stay positive. I actually dealt with a bad break up the day before my taper ended (maybe why the OC came into play) but just try not to focus on your symptoms and pretend your just sick and youll make it!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear you're doing so well. It's always refreshing to hear a story like yours amidst all the horror stories. I'm aware of others who've shared your positive experience, unfortunately, many of them are out living their lives happily instead of posting on an online forum. I hope you stick around and keep posting.

Congrats on your progress and thanks for sharing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey pharmstudent and everyone else: I wanted to bring up the subject of full agonists at the end of a taper. I've been looking in to it and I think it may not be a bad idea with the right opiate of course. For instance, my mom has an old script of Darvocet (propoxyphene 100mg /apap 650mg). With a weak opioid like this I think it would be more productive to ease WD symptoms. Preferably, I would use codeine rather than propoxyphene because the latter has to much apap in it and is considered to be the most useless opioid in existence by some medical professionals. It doesn't do shit to kill pain really but it may do something to ease WD.

PS: To Christin, it also kicked me in the gut about the green 80 mg chopper, which was my DOC. Pharmstudent, be careful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,

I just read my subject line again and it sounds crazy, but I do feel like this will work for me.

I've been on sub for 2 years 9 months. Started at 24mg. After I year I got down to 1mg every other day, back up to 8mg, down, to 2mg, back up to 8mg, then 6mg, then 4mg, then I switched to Vicoden with my doctors approval. The reason I'm doing this this way is because I was having foot surgery. I saw this as an opportunity to use another opiate to buffer the withdrawal symptoms for a few days then stop completely. For the surgery I had, they usually prescribe Vicoden so that's why it's this drug. I took my last dose of Sub (2mg) six days ago. I waited until I was in minor withdrawals and then started the Vicoden. The Vicoden was not enough to take away the withdrawals fully. I was a little uncomfortable, but totally manageable. I had surgery four days ago and have continued taking six 5mg Vicoden a day since. The foot pain has been minimal. I have Clonodine if needed, Prilosec (for stomach acid), Immodium, and I take .5 mg of Klonopin a day (been on that dose for a few years).

I just took my last dose of Vicoden a few hours ago. I'm so mentally ready to get off all opiates. I've tried getting off Sub twice before and it was too hard.

I know so much of this is mental. I'm so looking forward from being free from tied to a doctors office all of the time and having drug tests to make sure the level of Suboxone in my body is what is being prescribed to me. I want to be free from everything opiate related!!!

If anybody else has done anything similar to this successfully (using another opiate to help with withdrawal symptoms), I would love to hear about it.

I'll keep posting in the upcoming days and let you know how it's going.

Thanks!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Some great thoughts here (minus the 80 OC, which also gave me wood). I too was super stressed about coming off the subs. 16mg for almost three years then the gradual jump from 2mg wasn't as bad as I thought and 2mg is prolly on the high side for jumping. I'm on day 7 clean now and it feels great minus the no energy part. If I can do it, anybody can you just need some will power, a good plan, and a week off work!! Good luck all, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations! Getting off Sub is huge. There should be some sort of medal or trophy for those who do it. I'm serious!! It also helps other people (like me) believe they can also do it, so thanks for posting about your success.

I never had the 'opportunity' to try Oxy, but I am quite thankful I didn't because I don't know what I'm missing. I have heard so many stories of how 'normal' and 'good' people just got sucked right into a vicious cycle with that drug. It's truly scary. I just pray my kids never try it.

I hope your experience with Sub was enough to discourage you from ever going back to Oxy. Thank God you stopped at one....that's a miracle!

I had to stop Sub for about a week before my c-section and tubal 3 years ago. The doctor gave me Vicodin to take after a few days off the Sub to help ease the w/d. Guess what? It did absolutely nothing. So, I gave up on it, especially since I hated to think my baby had been taking Subutex and then would get Vicodin. Motrin actually worked better for that gigantic week of sleepless suffering. I think the Vicodin was just so weak compared to the strength of even 'low' doses of Sub that it was very obviously pointless.Plus, it made me barf anyway. Taking opiates to alleviate Sub w/d just sounds like a dangerous plan all-around. There are ways of weaning to lower doses now. However, I know how hard this Sub is to get off. So, for those of you who are able to switch to a regular opiate and then wean of that, who am I to judge?? You obviously have a lot of discipline and desire to get clean. More power to you. And congrats no matter how you end up clean.

laddertipper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,

So far I’m doing pretty good. It’s the morning of day 3. The Clonodine and Neurontin (for anxiety) have helped. The withdrawals are not even close to what I thought they would be (except the morning of day one, I woke up feeling really anxious, upset stomach, and crawling skin, it faded a lot over the next few hours and adding in some medication). I’m able to function normally, minus having a messed up sleep schedule right now (up a few hours, sleep a few hours, repeat) and not being too mobile because of my foot surgery.

Cantbefaded- Awesome!! Good for you!! You’re doing it!!

Laddertripper- I agree!! We should get a medal of some sort!! I really don’t know how much Vicoden did or did not play a role in me feeling pretty good right now. I’ve been mentally preparing myself for this for a while (just got back from a Tony Robbins seminar called Unleash the Power Within, totally awesome!!) and I’m just ready. I agree Vicoden is so weak compared to a low dose of Suboxone. One of the key things for me has been keeping my mind occupied these past three days. If I focus on the withdrawals they get worse. If I watch empowering videos, read, write, and vision my dreams for the future I’m okay. Thank you for your support!! YOU ROCK!!

More later. Have a great day!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's obvious that you really want this. You actually dragged yourself to a seminar. That's impressive. I'd probably be laying around, to be honest! But it's much better to keep busy. It's weird how listening to someone speak can be so freeing and motivating, isn't it? Just goes to show how much we can help ourselves get through even really hard times by utilizing positive things.

My best friend just got from 4 to 3 and it was really, really tough on her. I think I am actually going to type up a certificate and send it to her. It's an accomplishment that not everyone understands.

This is off topic, but if you haven't read the Twilight series, I very highly recommend them!! I've been struggling just going from 6-5 and I love these books. They just take me away!

Keep on going and please keep posting to let us all know how you're doing. I love hearing that your skin was crawling and you felt yucky, BUT it let up a bit and you got through it....and you cannot sleep well, BUT you're still putting one foot in front of the other. That's a good attitude. You aren't letting the side effects get you down.

Yeah!!!!!

laddertipper

Post subject: Day 4, doing okay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey!!

Yes, I love seminars. I've only been to a couple Tony Robbins seminars, however, they have been some of the most amazing experiences of my life. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend going to one of his Unleash The Power Within seminars. Nothing on earth can match the impact that has (in my opinion).

I have not read the Twilight series, but I have seen the movies (except the newest one) and I LOVE them!! I'm so busy finishing my psychology degree and am in the middle of a life coach training program and am starting a business, I really can't rationalize reading for pleasure (unless it's a book about self-growth that has been highly recommended). I am sooooo looking forward to being done with school and having some free time to read for pleasure. I miss being taken away by a story. One of the biggest joys of life!!

So today is day 4. I'm feeling okay. Yesterday I had no energy while standing or trying to do anything. So, I sat, and started and finished a huge paper for school a day early!!

Haven't been sleeping very well. I did get a good 3-4 hours last night though so I'm feeling pretty good right now. I notice my skin crawls the most when I first wake up. So, I get up, get some food and drink and it subsides pretty quickly. I didn't take any Clonodine last night before I went to bed. When I woke up two hours later I took one. Fell back to sleep for another hour plus some. I'm getting some stomach upset in the morning. I'll go to the bathroom a few times and then am okay the rest of the day. I stopped taking Immodium two days ago, so if this is the worst it gets without medication for it, then that's great!!

I'm so glad I cleared my schedule for four days. Not having to go anywhere has been huge. I'm home today and then will need to go out for a doctors appointment tomorrow to have the staples removed from my incision from foot surgery. They are bugging me and I can't wait to get them out. It will be a relatively easy day so that's good. I also want to wash my hair today. I have long thick hair and washing it is a project (especially when I can't get my foot wet). Then it stays wet for so long and gives me the chills. I'll do it today hanging over the tub with the hand held shower. Hey, if that's one of my worst problems right now, then I'm doing pretty good!!!

In another week or two, when I've completely stopped taking the Ibuprofin for my foot and the Clonodine, I want to do a raw food detox and get some colonics (never had one before, but i keep hearing how beneficial they are). I KNOW I was not eliminating everything I should have been while on Suboxone. I also love acupuncture. I haven't done it in a while, but will start again. I love alternative medicine. I used to have the attitude that if insurance doesn't cover it then I'm not doing it. I'm so glad I changed that. I've found so many alternative therapies that have been so so beneficial (yoga, Rubenfeld Synergy, life coaching, hypnosis, acupuncture, Tai Chi, Reiki, Feng Shui, space clearing, getting massages regularly- deep tissue and thai yoga) and have helped me heal so much of my past and make me feel much more balanced physically, mentally, and spiritually. Even this morning, just lighting a candle and writing in my journal for a little while is so beneficial.

Have you tried alternative therapies?

Hope you have an awesome day!! I will post more later!!

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Day 4, doing okay
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:38 am 
New Poster
New Poster

lilith1209 wrote:
Hey!!

Yes, I love seminars. I've only been to a couple Tony Robbins seminars, however, they have been some of the most amazing experiences of my life. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend going to one of his Unleash The Power Within seminars. Nothing on earth can match the impact that has (in my opinion).

I have not read the Twilight series, but I have seen the movies (except the newest one) and I LOVE them!! I'm so busy finishing my psychology degree and am in the middle of a life coach training program and am starting a business, I really can't rationalize reading for pleasure (unless it's a book about self-growth that has been highly recommended). I am sooooo looking forward to being done with school and having some free time to read for pleasure. I miss being taken away by a story. One of the biggest joys of life!!

So today is day 4. I'm feeling okay. Yesterday I had no energy while standing or trying to do anything. So, I sat, and started and finished a huge paper for school a day early!!

Haven't been sleeping very well. I did get a good 3-4 hours last night though so I'm feeling pretty good right now. I notice my skin crawls the most when I first wake up. So, I get up, get some food and drink and it subsides pretty quickly. I didn't take any Clonodine last night before I went to bed. When I woke up two hours later I took one. Fell back to sleep for another hour plus some. I'm getting some stomach upset in the morning. I'll go to the bathroom a few times and then am okay the rest of the day. I stopped taking Immodium two days ago, so if this is the worst it gets without medication for it, then that's great!!

I'm so glad I cleared my schedule for four days. Not having to go anywhere has been huge. I'm home today and then will need to go out for a doctors appointment tomorrow to have the staples removed from my incision from foot surgery. They are bugging me and I can't wait to get them out. It will be a relatively easy day so that's good. I also want to wash my hair today. I have long thick hair and washing it is a project (especially when I can't get my foot wet). Then it stays wet for so long and gives me the chills. I'll do it today hanging over the tub with the hand held shower. Hey, if that's one of my worst problems right now, then I'm doing pretty good!!!

In another week or two, when I've completely stopped taking the Ibuprofin for my foot and the Clonodine, I want to do a raw food detox and get some colonics (never had one before, but i keep hearing how beneficial they are). I KNOW I was not eliminating everything I should have been while on Suboxone. I also love acupuncture. I haven't done it in a while, but will start again. I love alternative medicine. I used to have the attitude that if insurance doesn't cover it then I'm not doing it. I'm so glad I changed that. I've found so many alternative therapies that have been so so beneficial (yoga, Rubenfeld Synergy, life coaching, hypnosis, acupuncture, Tai Chi, Reiki, Feng Shui, space clearing, getting massages regularly- deep tissue and thai yoga) and have helped me heal so much of my past and make me feel much more balanced physically, mentally, and spiritually. Even this morning, just lighting a candle and writing in my journal for a little while is so beneficial.

Have you tried alternative therapies?

Hope you have an awesome day!! I will post more later!!

Thanks.

Life coach training is an informal style of learning that focuses on mentoring, successful coaching techniques, self-study and observation. Once you complete training, you will receive your certification through the institute that provided your training. And it is also important to know in advance in what field of life coaching you wants to provide guidance, so you can further educate yourself in that area.
The best! ^^