It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I am 3 days off suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

aye, im new to this forum, im from souther california and a musician.I was in a pretty decent band called The Confession, until drug use robbed me of my dream, I am currently 25 and trying to pursue another band, but I know I need to quit sub to do so to my fullest. I am currently on the morning of my third day off suboxone, and I feel pretty good. I am on neurotin in the morning and nights and I am using a clonidine patch, and they are helping so far, although the neurotin(gabapentin) makes me feel retarded. I hope I can keep this going, I have the subs in case i get super sick, but I am willing to suffer a bit to get off this shit. I been on it for a year so Im so over it. So yeah, just a lil intro on me, I am stoked to be a part of this forum.

Post subject: Please share your story
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey I just wanted to add, please feel free to share your story with me, as it may help in this shit storm im supposedly about to feel (days 4-7)......any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, I don't want to argue with you, but I am in a band and I was just signed to a label for a distribution deal on our debut album, and I have absolutely NO intention of getting off suboxone anytime soon. I'm not sure why you think you need to be off suboxone to be in a band. I certainly don't think that. In fact, the best music I've written in my entire life was written while taking this drug. Not that I need suboxone to write music (I don't) but I would definitely not make being off suboxone a prerequisite to be in a band.

I don't post here much these days so if I don't respond anytime soon, it's nothing personal, I'm just not around much.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome! I hope things work out for you. Your post doesn't contain much background info and besides, no one here is in any position to judge you. I can only say that, during the years I was on suboxone it never limited me in any way. Compared to the alternative, it was like night and day!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CleveraintWise wrote:
aye, im new to this forum, im from souther california and a musician.I was in a pretty decent band called The Confession, until drug use robbed me of my dream, I am currently 25 and trying to pursue another band, but I know I need to quit sub to do so to my fullest. I am currently on the morning of my third day off suboxone, and I feel pretty good. I am on neurotin in the morning and nights and I am using a clonidine patch, and they are helping so far, although the neurotin(gabapentin) makes me feel retarded. I hope I can keep this going, I have the subs in case i get super sick, but I am willing to suffer a bit to get off this shit. I been on it for a year so Im so over it. So yeah, just a lil intro on me, I am stoked to be a part of this forum.

Well, hello and welcome. I'm trying to get off too AND I lived in SoCal until last year. Calabasas/Tarzana/West Hills/Camarillo. I think it's an individual experience and there's nothing wrong with you needing to get off Sub to live to your fullest. Good for you for hanging in for three days. Three days in nothing to sneeze at. I've heard Neurontin is incredibly helpful, although I think you're the first person I've heard say that it makes you feel retarded :lol: Neurontin should help tons with the nasty leg pains and back aches. Good luck and once again, welcome and here's to being rewarded with some serious inspiration once this crap is all over!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I hear ya on the music thing man. I am a musician myself, and ever since I started on subs I completely quit playing for the whole 13 months I was on it. Really strange. I don't know if that was your issue, but I have read about other people experiencing the same thing. I just recently jumped off and am on day 6 and interestingly enough have been picking my guitar up and listening to music again, something that I also lost a passion for due to subs. I tapered down pretty low so it has been relatively easy, but if you tapered it should get better everyday rather than worse. Clonidine really works wonders too!... Didn't know you were from Cali too Ladder.. I am in the Pismo Beach area if ya know where that is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I shut down my music stdio last week . i just don't have that 'feeling" you need to get the right mood.
how can anybody '"improvise" with "lack" of "emotion"?

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you to everyones replies, super cool people on this site. I wasnt saying in general that you cant do music on suboxen, but for me like some other people on here, I just didnt have that spark, or that extreme love for music as i did when I was using or when I was clean and sober. i know that sounds weird but suboxen just sorta robbed me of emotion and drive to do music. Thank you guys for the support tho, glad to be apart of this forum.

Post subject: Re: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CleveraintWise wrote:
Thank you to everyones replies, super cool people on this site. I wasnt saying in general that you cant do music on suboxen, but for me like some other people on here, I just didnt have that spark, or that extreme love for music as i did when I was using or when I was clean and sober. i know that sounds weird but suboxen just sorta robbed me of emotion and drive to do music. Thank you guys for the support tho, glad to be apart of this forum.

It doesn't sound weird. It's actually something many of us have experienced while on Suboxone. Many people seem to rediscover music and other hobbies when they discontinue Sub or significantly drop their dose. I'm still on but I can tell you there is a huge difference between taking .5 mg and day and 32 mg a day, as far as how I feel and the depth and breadth of my emotions and interests.

Glad to see that you're still pushing through. :D

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congrats to the original poster. It sounds like you are stable in your recovery and are clear on what you want to do and determined. I wish you the best.

Let me share my story a little with you. I was a heroin addict. 2 years ago I went on methadone until I thought I was ready to taper last summer. I went to a medical detox for a week and left with a script of suboxone. I came off 90 mgs of methadone and went on 2 mgs of subx. I stayed n subx for about 4 months until I ran out. I thought I was ready to do this on my own. It just seemed like the best choice. I stopped subx and within a week I was driving into the city to cop heroin just to ease the withdrawal of subx. Made sense at the time.

Withing a month I had a dope habit. Then last December I went back to a good subx Dr and went back on about 2 mgs. It's been 7 months and i am in no hurry to get off. My life hasn't been this good since before I started using heroin.

I'm not saying this will happen to you, just be very careful because the opiate, she works in mysterious ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi clever,

I too "found music again" once I quit Suboxone. I have ALWAYS loved my Rock N Roll, but somewhere through my drug abuse and even into my Suboxone treatment, that love of music diminished greatly. I didn't even consciously realize how much more I was listening to music once I quit Suboxone, it was actually a friend of mine at work who noticed it first. Music moves me like a religious experience, it is powerful to me.....it speaks my language!! I never realized how much I missed it until I found it again.

BTW, like the previous poster mentioned, being off of Suboxone doesn't mean you're healed bud. What else are you doing to ensure your recovery remains solid?? Being in a band is sure to introduce you to some kind of drugs, are you ready for that? I'd just hate to see you relapse after getting off of Suboxone.....I did it and it SUCKS!!! For me, the NA meetings I've been attending are helping a lot. I hope you consider some kind of long term recovery strategy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey this site has been so educational. 7 days off roxies and 3 days on suboxone. started on 4 mgs once daily. Today i had to double the dose to function. OMG this upping my dose makes me scared, kinda what happened with the roxies. started on 30 mgs a day and detoxed at the level of almost 900 mgs a day. Im 52 and the withdraws hospitalized me. My doc put me on 8mgs of sub twice daily. But i wanted to try a lower dose. Does anyone relate to this. maybe i need the higher dose because of the high doses of oxys i was taking. I want so much to have my life back. Had fifteen years clean before this relapse. But i just feel like im doing the same thing just a different med.has anyone felt this way. Does anyone have any suggestions Thanks Squabler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey its squab. talking about music is my passion. I guess once a musician always a musician! being in recovery alows us to once again do the things we love.For everyone there is a season. I hope .this is mine. Havent tried to play on the subs. But i guess thats something i probaly should try! I guess ill find out. Many blessings to all! Squabler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Its really not the Suboxone changing your life, its the fact you've stopped taking opiates... chemical pathways in the brain never go back to how they were... things can be better or worse but probably not the same.... At some point I crossed a line , some peoples lines are easier to cross because they are bipolar or have other psych issues, and self-medication starts, I needed pain pills for my neck, I truly did need them, for 3 yrs I lived on them until the Drs decieded it was time for surgery, by this time my brain needed them to function... this all started out so innocent, but I had to have my pain pills to do anything and feel normal, addiction is a medical issue, BIGTIME... Good luck........... Sorry to say this but I would keep Suboxone a part of my life if I were you, I plan on keeping my shrink and Suboxone , I go in and talk to him once a month and get my script for my Suboxone...... I HAVE LOST so much time and sleep trying to live without it, 1 thing to do is to taper down so your taking the minimum needed, doing that alone is a priceless education in drug addiction, Mike ( 1mg )

Post subject: Recovery Plan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey there again, i totally agree with all of you that just because i am off sub doesnt mean i am healed. I currently hit like 4 meetings a week plus have a sponsor who is a great dude. I too was a long time IV heroin user, and was making runs to LA every day. Its a dark place that i never want to go back to, but I know it can happen if I am not careful. Opiates are a tricky bitch for sure, and I know not to underestimate them. I have relapsed so many god damn times (sorry Lord). All you guys are rad and thank you for your replies, I will keep posting, and pray that my sobriety remains intact, so far so good. Oh yes and one more thing, if you are going to quit subs, YOU MUST TAPER DOWN. Its gonna suck in my opinion if you jump off anything 2mg's and up....so get down to 1mg or even .5mg (thats where I jumped from after a year of subs) and you will be alright. God Bless, stay up.