It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi guys. Well it has been 14 days off sub. Most of you know I tapered to 1/16mg. I take 1/2 mg xanax in the evenings for sleep. I am feeling tired, lack of motivation and lazyness. is this related to beong off sub, the xanax OR a combo of both... Any ideas? I have not smoked weed in 3 days hoping this will help my lazyness... Not so far. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Both could be playing a big role.

Are you still feeling enough Sub withdrawals to need Xanax? It can be dangerous taking benzos for withdrawal longer than you need as you're fertile ground for cross-addiction atm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Sweet, I just copied this response from another thread I justed posted, it seemed to line up pretty well with your question too.

When I quit Suboxone, it took a fairly long time for my energy to come back, but I don't think the lack of energy was all due to wd. I had used drugs for 26 years straight, I used them to get high, to get energy, to escape reality, etc. Once I quit all narcotics, I didn't have that external source of energy (drugs) anymore, I had to learn how to build my own energy, this is where recovery comes in.

We're so used to being able to pop a pill for energy that our bodies/brains have come to rely on that. Take the drugs away and a lot of us addicts really don't know how to function without them. The good news is that you can re-learn how to live.

Also, now that we're off drugs, we may notice some underlying conditions that the drugs were hiding, ex. depression. At several points during my recovery, I was pretty sure that I had some kind of depression, but now I believe it was just my mind struggling to live without drugs.

Another thing I've wrestled with during my recovery is the fact that my energy levels are not now where they used to be on drugs and it finally clicked for me, drugs gave me an artificially high energy level that I'll never be able to match naturally. On drugs, my energy levels were 150%, but naturally, I'll only ever be able to reach 100% and that's something I've got to keep in mind when I get down on myself about my energy levels.

My best advice is to continue to be patient with the healing process and to start working some kind of recovery.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Romeo, I understand that totally. I just do not have 50% of what I had even when not using. I know it will come back eventually BC seems every day I do feel better.
Tear, I have been taking Xanax for over 2 years at bedtime. I am ONLY on 0.5 mg. I totally understand cross addiction and I have cut my dose from 1.5-2mg daily down to .5. I more than likely will stop this med. at some point however, it is what I take to sleep at night. I may not need it anymore as I have not had ANY sleep related issues since being off sub. Maybe I do not have insomnia anymore or maybe the xanax is doing its job? I just do not feel the urgency to get off xanax BC I will more than likely get a different med for sleep if I need it. I do not take it during the day. I do not get anxiety enough to take it. I just think it helps with sleep and I have no other reason for it.
Probably I am just still adjusting to no opiates after 1 year of being on them. Of course I am impatient and want to be 100% NOW damnit! Lol patients and acceptance... these are my challenges
Thanks guys..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:23 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

If you have been is Xanax for 2 years then it's probably the sub WD that's sacking your energy level. You are just about to turn a big corner heading in to week 3. Try L-tyrosine w/ vitamine b6 worked really well for me. You can take up to 2500 mg of l-tyrosine. Also, doctor prescribed me Phentermine which is a diet type pill. It worked great for energy, but it gave me high anxiety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ahkay sweet16 ... I thought you were using Xanax as a withdrawal medication and you hadn't been on it before. It makes sense to deal with one thing at a time. I'm with Subsavedme that it'd be the withdrawals causing your issues.

Phentermine is a pretty full on drug. I used to take it when there was an amphetamine drought in my city many years ago. It's more like speed than dexamphetamines or ritalin imo. Apparently it's the diet-pill that the mother in Requiem for a Dream got hooked on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I am feling my energy increase daily. Thanks for the help guys. I was getting impatient as I have been low energy for so long (since tapering) I finally accept that this is part of it and I am feeling better. Happy holiday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

sweet16 wrote:
Thanks Romeo, I understand that totally. I just do not have 50% of what I had even when not using. I know it will come back eventually BC seems every day I do feel better.
Tear, I have been taking Xanax for over 2 years at bedtime. I am ONLY on 0.5 mg. I totally understand cross addiction and I have cut my dose from 1.5-2mg daily down to .5. I more than likely will stop this med. at some point however, it is what I take to sleep at night. I may not need it anymore as I have not had ANY sleep related issues since being off sub. Maybe I do not have insomnia anymore or maybe the xanax is doing its job? I just do not feel the urgency to get off xanax BC I will more than likely get a different med for sleep if I need it. I do not take it during the day. I do not get anxiety enough to take it. I just think it helps with sleep and I have no other reason for it.
Probably I am just still adjusting to no opiates after 1 year of being on them. Of course I am impatient and want to be 100% NOW damnit! Lol patients and acceptance... these are my challenges
Thanks guys..

Yes, go slow with getting off the xanax. I would wait a little while longer till you are free of most of the Sub withdrawals to address that. Benzo withdrawal can be pretty dangerous from what I have heard.

Glad to here some of the energy is coming back, I know the fatigue was a big side effect for you. I think getting it is inevitable when you get to the low pre-jump doses. Why? I am not sure, maybe its because the sub dosages run out much quicker when you get that low. However, that is also how the body heals itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:55 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
Ahkay sweet16 ... I thought you were using Xanax as a withdrawal medication and you hadn't been on it before. It makes sense to deal with one thing at a time. I'm with Subsavedme that it'd be the withdrawals causing your issues.

Phentermine is a pretty full on drug. I used to take it when there was an amphetamine drought in my city many years ago. It's more like speed than dexamphetamines or ritalin imo.
tearj3rker wrote:
Apparently it's the diet-pill that the mother in Requiem for a Dream got hooked on.

We all remember what happened to her :P

Post subject: Xanax
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:32 pm 

Hi Sweet, and congrats again for getting off the Suboxone train. My concern is really about the Xanax use at bedtime. I doubt if you'll suffer any w/d's from stopping it as I've taken it for a couple of months at a time and stopped w/o any problems. And yes, I was taking the same dose as you for the same reason. Others may disagree so it may have just been me.

If you can, get off the Xanax and ask for some Lunesta instead. Don't take the Lunesta but try really hard to suffer through a few sleepless nights until you get your natural rhythm back. By taking something every night you screw up your natural ability to fall asleep. With me it only took one full night and half the other to get back my sleep pattern. If you just can't stand it, take the Lunesta.

Both Lunesta and Ambien are considered non-benzo's but act almost the same on the brain so you don't want to be dependent on those either unless you are certifiably an insomniac, then one must find relief with whatever works.

How well did you sleep before all the drugs? Wouldn't you like to get back to those days?

Just guessing here so take it with a grain of salt girl.

Rule

Post subject: Health
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I supplement and workout like a madman even when I don't want to. I have boundless energy, but I've been off of opiates for forty some days and sub (after 3.5 yrs) for seventy some days. Those first 2 weeks were by far the hardest, but I didn't lack energy, it was more like hyper drive with anxiety and some depression. I used weed and benzos like crazy for 2 weeks. Now I only use temazepam for sleep and feel that I can cut that out soon. Working out helps A TON...but you have to force yourself.

I am on the SSRI zoloft and it is saving me from the PAWS atm. Insomnia is my only symptom. I am not recommending zoloft....that stuff is for your doc to decide with you. I don't plan on staying on that any longer than 6 months as the residual PAWS should be over with by then. Anything after I will be able to handle with my 12-step network and healthy lifestyle.

Anyway....it gets better (cliche, I know), but it is so true. Take it day by day and do good things for yourself, even if forced. I had some days when I didn't want to leave the couch.

BTW, imo (not a doc, just a lot of experience) temazepam is safer than ambien, but lunesta is prob the safest and least likely for dependency. I asked doc's and pharmacists about this and that is what they said. It is also true ime. Xanax can be playing with fire, trade it up please.