It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Besides from the previous posts about the awful electric restless feeling I have when laying down, or when the clonidine is wearing off. I noticed when I had to take opiates recently they still had little effect... It's been over a month.. is it possible that Suboxoone is still in me and creating a blockade? Anyone have similar experiences?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This is not medical advice by any means but I would suspect it's more of a tolerance issue than any blocking effects. I've known a few that have quit suboxone and gone back to using heroin or whatever and they have all been suprised at their tolerance. I think some are used to quitting opiates for a short time and when going back they have the tolerance that they used to when they first started. It's not like that when you've been on suboxone for awhile. This is just my guess. There are some members with medical background that might shed some light on it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't have a medical background either, but I agree with Smoothy. I believe it's just that your tolerance is really high now. It should gradually go down (I would imagine), albeit slowly.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tolerance from the suboxone? I have been drug free for 5 months...except for the suboxone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes, tolerance from the suboxone. Even though it works differently than full agonist opiates, it is still a very strong opiate. That's why I cringe when doctors induce patients at 16mg for a small, short duration hydro habit. I think there's a thread on here somewhere about bupe being used to treat pain and I believe it is dispenced in micrograms not mg's. Again some members are very well informed on this subject, I am not one of them. I'm sure you will get a response that will answer your question better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone is an opiate and it's a powerful one at that. For example when a sub patient has surgery and needs pain meds, the need much higher doses than "normal", in part because of their tolerance from the sub.

Yes, you've been "clean" (I hate that word, you know what I mean) for 5 months, but you've only been off sub for 36 days...Your tolerance is still high and will eventually go down. There are other people here who've posted about tolerance levels the same as yours, so I don't think it's all that unusual.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:48 pm 
Wow though! That does seem like a long time for your tolerance to have not gone down much. I hear people here from time to time and have often thought of it myself to.....that some us dislike the fact that many of us have actually exponentially increased our opiate tolerance by starting Suboxone. Of course, the way I see it, I didn't have a choice anymore, my tolerance was just going to go higher and higher anyhow, so I did it with bupe which is less harmful than doing it with hydro or oxy or whatever.
In any case, I know when I cold-turkeyed hydro or oxycodone, my tolerance would actually diminish pretty quickly, certainly by a month "clean" (hate that word too) I could take even just 2-3 hydro 10s and be high as a kite. I know bupe has the much longer half life and all, but wow.....I figured after a month off, the tolerance would be on down. Then again, maybe it's different for everyone.
I would be very interested if Dr. Junig or anyone else with expert information on this could reply and answer the question as to about how long it takes (if ever) for one's opiate tolerance to return to normal (as in being able to feel pain relief from 10 or 20mg of hydrocodone or similar drug/dose?) Very curious indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was only on Subs for about 5 months... Started at about 4mgs... tapered to about a 1/2 mg... Still hardly any effect from full agonists.. I get the lightheadedness.. and some of the personality changes I get from opiates (irritable) and I'll do stupid shit.. but no euphoria or much of a body buzz.. and it wears off QUICK. then makes me feel shitty.