It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I had been on Methadone for about 5 years. I had planned to taper off & switch to Suboxone about 2 years ago but I got pregnant. (For those that don't know, you can't taper while you're pregnant. Its dangerous & the clinic doesn't allow it.)
After I had my son I started my taper. I got down to 30ml last week & found a Suboxone doctor. The doctor prescribed me Gabapentin & Clonidine to help with the withdrawals.
Well I took my last dose at 10 am on Sun morning, it's now Tues & I feel fine. I attribute it to the Gabapentin. I've heard from many other people that it helps a lot. Which is awesome, but... how can I start taking Suboxone if I don't feel sick?
My appointment to be induced is tomorrow. I know you have to score a certain number on the COWS form in order to start taking Suboxone. But what if I still feel fine & don't score very high even though it will have been 72 hours since my last dose? Will I have to wait? What if the doctor doesn't think I need to wait, could I go into precipitated withdrawal?
He's a really good doctor, he's been in addiction treatment for at least 20 years. And he's been prescribing Suboxone since it first became available in the US. He's also the head doctor at the Methadone clinic I had been going to. He did me a huge favor by letting me switch to his private practice. I trust that he knows what he's doing, but sometimes, even with the best doctors, things can go wrong.
I can't have precipitated withdrawals. I've been through them before when I first started taking Methadone. So I know that I won't be able to take care of my son. My husband already used up his vacation days to be here now in case I get really sick. So if I get sick after tomorrow, I won't have anyone who can watch my son. So, yeah, I CAN'T get sick from the Suboxone.
Has anyone ever gone through this before? Where your withdrawal symptoms weren't that bad but you were still able to start taking Suboxone?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:37 pm 

Hey TheMagus84 welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what to advise u on in this situation. I do know that during my active addiction days, if I couldn't find opiates, I'd take neurotin (gabatin) to keep the withdrawal away and it worked wonderful. So that's probably why u haven't had withdrawal yet. I'm not sure what the dr will do but I'm sure he'll have an answer for ya. Do u think if u stopped the gabatin, that you'd start feeling withdrawal? Dr Junig (a sub dr who also knows about methadone too and started this forum) will hopefully be along to help answer this question. I wouldn't worry to much, ur dr will know what's best.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:04 pm 

You pose a very difficult question. Most everyone reading your post will be thinking you should just stay the course and not start Suboxone if you're not feeling withdrawals. Dr. Junig will know more about the ½ life of Methadone and will advise accordingly.

What I would do is to get the Suboxone but not take it unless the withdrawals are too much for you to handle. Then if you need it you have it. The most important question is, do you have a support system in place so you don't end up back on opiates? If you're anything like me and countless other addicts, I'll end up using if I don't take my Suboxone. You are much younger than me and it would be in your best interest to stay off all mind altering drugs if you can. The decision is up to you.

Whatever the end result is, welcome to our forum!

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm not worried about relapse. I've relapsed many times in my life. I'm 31 now, I was on Methadone for 5 years after trying to kill myself.
The 5 years gave me time to change my entire life. Now I live in a different city, I have different friends (most have never used, some are long time recovered addicts) I have my husband who I met shortly after starting Methadone, so he isn't a reminder of my old life. And most of all I have my son. He is my entire world right now. I'd be too paranoid about losing my son to relapse.
I've been in counseling for the entire 5 years I was going to the clinic. We worked through a lot of problems I had that led me to use drugs. My counselor has said that she's not worried about me relapsing either. But even though I'm extremely confident that I won't relapse, I never say anything is 100% sure. So I'll be on guard, if I have any cravings I have the coping skills I learned, I mostly use them to deal with anxiety but they can be used to get past a craving.
The reason I want to switch to Suboxone is because I don't know how long it's going to take to withdrawal from Methadone. I've heard it can take weeks, and then you could still have post acute withdrawal for months afterward. I don't know if it'll get worse in a few days despite the Gabapentin. And I won't have anyone here to help me with my son after tomorrow.
I sped up my taper a few months ago to make sure I was ready to switch before summer was over (I went from going down 2ml every 2 weeks, to 5ml a week & I didn't feel any bad effects). I want to switch before summer is over because my son just started walking, but because I sweat uncontrollably (side effect of methadone) we stay inside all day until his Daddy gets home, then his Daddy takes him outside to play some I sit inside. He always want to go outside but when I take him out side I can only last 30mins at most before I'm so sweaty it's giving me chills. I don't want to be the boring Mommy who sits in front of the fan all the time. I used to be very active. Also because of the Methadone & the awful sweating, I've gained 60lbs. Working out is extremely uncomfortable because of the sweating so I'm hoping I'll be able to start working out again & lose some weight.
I've tapered off of Suboxone in the past. I had about 8 months clean after that. But I still had my old junkie friends, so I relapsed. But I remember that the withdrawal was short & easy. And I don't remember having any post acute withdrawal symptoms either. So the plan is to stay on Suboxone until the winter when my husband will be home (He's a seasonal worker) & can watch our son.
I'm really excited about all this. I'm just nervous about the switch. I've been through precipitated withdrawals before & it was hell. So I'm a little paranoid about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:36 am 
New Poster
New Poster

UPDATE:
Everything went fine! I wasn't sick enough at my appointment so he sent me home with my script & gave me his cell number to call him when I thought I was sick enough. I waited & around 8 pm I felt sore all over & was getting panicky. All my joints were killing me, even my knuckles felt like I had been holding onto a branch trying not to fall for hours. It had been 82 hours since my last dose of Methadone(30ml). So I called him & he had me take it 2mg at a time every 15 mins & I had to call him before I took every dose so he could ask if I was feeling any worse. I felt the same after the first 2 doses but after the 3rd I started feeling better.
I'm so happy that it didn't backfire on me & throw me into PW. I'm so excited to go outside today & play with my son without sweat dripping from my face. I can't wait to start working out again & lose some of this Methadone weight.
Anyhoo, just thought I'd post how it went for future users who might want to know.
I'm glad there are places like this where addicts can go & talk to other addicts without the stigma of being on medication making them feel guilty about taking the medication they need.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:35 pm 

TheMagus84,

That is awesome news! It played out just the way it should have. You were very smart not to take any until you were in fairly decent withdrawal.

Stabilize and get on with your life now. If the day comes when you know deep down you can stop the Suboxone and stay clean then go for it. Until then, enjoy the life you had given back to you.

rule