It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:53 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Well I'm not over the hump yet. Today is day 59. It's strange, one day I will feel great and then the next I have 0 energy. I'm starting to think this is how I was before bupe and not really a side effect. I think I just got spoiled by the extra energy I was getting from the drug. My low energy has made me think about getting some bupe a few times this week but I changed my focus to something else as fast as I could and the urge went away. This is the first week I really had any thought about giving in. For me that is not an option anymore. I need to deal with life the way it really is. There is no reason for me to be on medication. I'm a reasonably healthy, young 40 year old.

The good part is that there is plenty I can do to fix the problem of low energy. I don't eat right and I don't exercise enough. My job is physical so that keeps me partially healthy but by the end of the day I'm dragging. It's time to start working on the real problems and not take medication to mask them.

Even though it was a rough week I'm still very happy that I stopped Bupe. I'm here to tell the good and bad. Life isn't all butterflies and roses. There are going to be hard days. How you deal with those days makes you who you are.

The beautiful weather is here! Time to get off my ass and live life to the fullest.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is all totally normal. And yes, while it is natural to feel more energized certain days than others, it is more exaggerated when getting off of suboxone (or any opiate.) It's hard and totally frustrating to go from feeling great one day, to almost feeling like you're back at square one, the very next day. I promise you, though, it evens out. It's a slow process though, at least for me. I will never have the energy that I once had when I was on suboxone, but I'm close enough now, to where I don't really notice a difference anymore. Hang in there! Keep pushing through if you can.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I wish I could quit. I envy you.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rizob, you really hit the nail on the head with your last post. You seem to have a good perspective on all of this. Hang in there, man.

Congratulations on day 60!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:40 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Today is day 73. I'm doing good. Still have some issues with energy but I can live with it now. Not many cravings, just a few here and there. I'm still glad I made the jump.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

g4u Bro!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:36 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Made it to day 80!. This weekend I got a letter from my Doctor saying my file was closed because it's been over 3 months since I went. I almost feel like framing it and hanging it on the wall like a diploma, because it's definitely been a learning experience.

I still can't say that things are perfect for me. Addiction isn't only about the actual using of the drug. Most people started using to try to fix other issues. We like opiates because they numb our brain and stop you from focusing on your issues. When you stop using those issues are still going to be there and they will probably be worse. Now you need to deal with them sober, with a brain that's still not 100%.

But the drugs were not fixing the problem, only masking them. So why keep doing something that isn't working and expecting a different outcome. It wont happen. If you want your life to be different you need to stop doing the same things and change what needs to be changed. That Is the one and only way things will change.

I have changed my opiate habit and it was a great first step. I have many more steps before I get where I want to be. But unfortunately my mind is still sick and holding me back. I haven't started living life yet. I'm still just getting by. I feel worn out from what I put my body through all those years. I'm tired!

Right now my energy at work has been really good. But I usually come right home from work and go to bed. There are so many things I want to do but I just can't bring myself to do them. It's like I have the worst case of procrastination ever! Once I start doing something I feel good. It's getting better every day so I feel like this will pass. Sometimes I think that I'm trying to be normal again too fast. I should just let the process play out and take it easy. Then other times I feel like I need to kick myself in the ass and get out there. Trying to figure out how to live again it just as hard as trying to decide if you should get off Bupe or not. I know what I need to do, I just have to do it!

I hope this doesn't discourage anyone. Getting off of suboxone was still the best choice I've made in my life. I have very few cravings and don't feel like I will ever go back. We only have one life to live and I want to make it good for me. I've had enough bad. The best parts of my life are still to come.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:18 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Well I'm at somewhere around day 133. Things have been better for me. Still have some low energy but it's manageable. I've had a few cravings but I just didn't act on them and they went away. Not dwelling on the cravings and not letting them eat at me has made the difference. Before my cravings would consume my every thought. I couldn't function until I calmed the beast.now when I get a craving I focus on something else and it's gone.

A few things gs I don't like about stopping are my energy level and I'm getting fat. When I was on sub I was losing weight. Now my stomach always feels bloated and huge. People have commented that I've put on weight. I know it's my own fault and once I start eating better again I will feel better.

But like I keep saying, stopping was one of the best things I did. Even though I'm becoming a beached whale I'm a happier beached whale. I have pay checks I haven't cashed yet because I don't need them. And my change jar is full to the top for the first time in the last 10 years. It feels good. I'm still at the beginning of this journey and now I know it will only get better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hang in there, R!

You're doing great. I have the same experience as you, the only thing I miss about sub is that it gave me energy and kept me really skinny. I think it all evens out with time, tho.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am very glad to have found this site and to read your posts about getting off. I am getting ready to start tapering. I was on 100mg of methadone for 3 years and jumped off that with no taper, after about 3 months of not feeling good, I started using again. (so dumb) Since then, I have gotten on Suboxone. I am taking 16 mg. a day, but tomorrow will be the first day of my slow taper. I really think its easier to do if you have the will power to taper yourself down. I have hepatitis C and am worried about the effects of the Suboxone on my liver. I now have brown spots (I think liver spots) on the top of both feet, and every morning, I can feel extreme pressure under my rib cage and my upper middle back hurts. I really believe it is because my liver is swollen. Thats what I think is causing the pressure and back pain. I recently got new medical insurance that will cover all doctors visits, so I will have it checked out very soon. To be honest, I'm scared. I've had the hepatitis for over 15 years now, so I have to be very careful. I do not drink at all and besides the suboxone, all I do is Medical Cannibas. No other substances. I am afraid of withdraws, so I am going to do this as slowly as I can. Reading these posts are encouraging, however, I had no idea the withdraw was as long as methadone withdraw, not like the normal one or two weeks as it is from most opiates. But I'm ready to be done with it all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jess, I found that tapering down on Subs was very easy during the early stages. I went from 8 mg to 6 mg to 4 mg to 2 mg/day without noticing the decrease. It was only under 2 mg/day that the taper became tricky, though I was committed to getting off Subs fast.

Do you have access to Hep C treatment, once you're clean. Here in Canada, doctors won't start these treatment until you're off all drugs, illicit and prescription.

Good luck.

-- ji