It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:29 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I wont go too indepth with my "story", but I was on this exact forum over a week ago trying to get an idea of what I was going to be up against going from 105 of meth to suboxone.

I was on 130mgs for a year, and basically 105mgs for nearly 5 years. I am now 9 days w/o methadone and feeling great.

A little run down of what I did:
I did a 3 day taper from 105-90-85, I knew this fast was not going to do much, but I did it anyhow just for kicks. I then waited 74 hrs after my last use and headed straight for a detox/rehab clinic (Im not going to lie, I went to a rehab that was state funded and it wasnt the greatest, but it worked). Anyhow my main purpose for this post is to let anyone and everyone know that I just got home from the detox center today feeing great, not one time was I uncomfortable in there other than the last 12-15 hrs on my little mini taper. It was a 5 day in patient center that used subutex.

Not that its any HUDGE amount of time or anything, but Im going to continue taking 4mgs of sub a day for 3 weeks, 2mgs for a week and then 1mgs for the last week.

Point being guys (and I may be the exception) but dont let all the horror stories on here get you all up in your heads thinkin this transition is going to nearly kill me, or youre going to expierience the fifth ring of HELL if you try that.

Im sitting proof that it can be done and over with with minimal discomfort. I came off of over 90mgs having taking that amount or more for over 4 years and am sitting here completly fine.

In addition, I am not trying to dumb down the process, it SUCKS! There is no doubt, but at the same time its NOT THAT BAD.

I know that was a short, Readers Digest overview, so I'll leave it at that because im sure their will be several question about specifics of my expierience so i can address specificsat that time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm very happy to hear you're doing so well! Good on you! I don't think people believe going from methadone to sub is always hell, but it's just that it can get difficult if not done "right". I don't have any specific questions, I just wanted to throw my support towards you. I wish you the very best.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:32 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hatmaker, Thanks for the support, its much appreciate and needed at this point!!

I may have come off a bit wrong, the hell and horror stories have mostly come from people coming off or wd from methadone in general rather than the specific was it was done. I was SO insanely dis-couraged for SO SO long after reading how impossible it was to get off methadone (not specific to this forum at all), so I was just trying to make it known that it can be done and it doesnt have to be as bad as a lot make it out to be....but as you said, DONE RIGHT is the key!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am glad you found suboxone & were able to manage the first few days of w/d. The withdrawals from methadone, when cold turkeying it, are dreadful. Methadone withdrawals were by far the worst, as they tend to last for weeks & get worse & worse. I was taking methadone also along with other stuff, it is highly recommended to go at least 48 hours, preferrably 72 hours since the last dose of methadone so people don't go, as my doctor put it, "balls to the wall" withdrawal. Once those w/d's kick in, you just have to deal with it. I just want people to understand that it is not safe to go immediately(less than 48hours) from methadone to suboxone, but the suboxone doctor will explain that to those people currently on methadone. I have read that other countries are actually giving heroin to Methadone patients to wean them off, since Methadone w/d's drag out forever, and are extremely painful.
I am sure you will be happy with suboxone:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:31 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Just wanted to give a quick update.

Im now nearly 12 days methadone free and on 4mg of Suboxone daily and doing GREAT!!!! I cant sleep for more than a couple of hrs a night, but otherwise I am expieriencing zero w/d symtoms.

On a side note, my Sub Dr.'s script reads "take 1/2 a pill (which would be 4mg) 3 times a day and I have only been taking a single 1/2 pill a day and as I said Im doing awesome.

Just wanted to throw that out there to anyone that may be "all up in their head" worring about everything. I know that everyone is different, but either way, I know I was looking for some help and encouragement before I went into this thing and received all of that from this forum...so I hope that my "success story" will return the favor in some small way.

Post subject: methadone to subutex
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:02 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I'm really happy for you that you are doing so well 12 days post methadone. All I have ever heard is how horrid methadone w/d are, how you cannot do it unless you very slowly taper etc etc. It's like when people find out you are pregnant and tell you their horrible delivery stories! it just doesn't help!

I do have a question. I am at 75mg methadone for about a year, been on methadone 2.5 years. Nothing else except wellbutrin. I have my rx for subutex and am told to start at 4mg when I get into moderate withdrawals. I have been off methadone for 3 days (monday 1pm was last dose, today is thur at 7pm). I am taking a few vic's to help ease w/d. I will stop vics today and tomorrow friday will be 96 hours after last dose of methadone. But I'm only having a few w/d and obviously the vic is masking a little bit. Or maybe it isn't long enough yet. My question: Should I go ahead and start subutex Saturday even if I am not in moderate withdrawals. My dr said wait until yawning, runny nose and eyes, etc so even if I am off it 6 days will it be too soon to start subutex? Really don't want precipitated w/d as when I was in a detox center many years back they gave me naloxone day 3 of my detox from vicoden and I went into the worst withdrawals for 40 hours. I had never experienced that before. I had to go back on percocet, and start over. Awful....so of course the horrible w/d are scary.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks and way to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The reason people are given vics between the methadone and sub is because methadone has such a very long half life. The vics are used while the last of the methadone leaves your system.

It's really not a matter of how long you've been off methadone, but what the state of your withdrawals are. If it were me, I'd wait a bit more to allow the methadone to get completely out of my system. You can take the vics during that time. Then you'll have to quit the vics and wait for withdrawals to set in before starting sub. I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: methadone withdrawal
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:19 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hat, thanks. That was what I have been looking for. I've posted all over the board asking the question but didn't see this response until now. So, sorry for the repetition.
I did take 2 5mg vic this am and that is it. I may have to take some tomorrow due to seeing my daughter and then wait til sunday to induce, or mond to induce....will wait for moderate withdrawls. I am MAYBE a 7 on COWS right now. MAYBE