It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there folks. I don’t have time for my whole story yet, but I want to get this started before the opportunity passes.

History:
-26 years of regular substance use, mostly pot and alcohol.

-12 years intermittent use of oxycodone. Got up to a maximum of 200mg/day, with an average of 120mg/day.

-Prior to the final binge of 3-4 months, my average daily dose when using was 20-30mg.

I started Suboxone with a Doctor about 11 months ago.
4mg made me nauseous, and I realized this was a very high dose for me.
I stabilized at 0.5mg twice daily. Due to constraints of employment, I didn’t think I could afford the down-time to quit.
Gradually increased my twice daily dosage to 0.75, then 1.0, then 1.33. (cutting the 8mg strips)
From the very beginning I would begin to feel crappy by the 12 hour mark. Larger doses made me tired, and I tend to aim for the least amount of substances required to accomplish the goal.

Through my extensive reading, somehow I never saw the Robert_325 taper method until I'd crafted my own plan. It's funny how close mine was to his.

His = 25% reduction every 4 days
Mine = 20% reduction every 3 days. (adjusting up or down based on comfort and motivation)

The beginning was shockingly painless. By the 5th day I was down from 2.66mg/day to 1.5mg barely noticing a difference.
At day 10 I was at 1.0mg. Due to other life stresses, poor hydration, lack of rest and inadequate eating, I was struggling a lot.

I simply prolonged this period around 1.0mg until I stabilized again. It took 6 days, with 2 of those days at 1.15mg or so. One of these 6 days was only 0.9mg.

I've now gone the next 3 days around 0.8mg according to my plan.

This is my 18th day of working my taper.

-------------------------

ADVICE:

Don't push it too much.

If you're feeling crappy, don’t stress if you decide to do a very slight increase if you're truly committed to gradual reduction.

If you wind up staying at a lowered dose for a little while without dropping further, celebrate the fact that your dose has gone down from where it was. The amount in your system may still be dropping even if your dose isn’t, so you are likely still successfully tapering.

I see nothing wrong in taking a rest when going downward. Making this work is WAY more important than how quick you do it.

Don’t confuse hunger, thirst, stress, exhaustion with withdrawal symptoms. Take proper care of your carcass.

Expect and allow yourself to be a little needy during this process.

thank a million to all those who've shared, advised and supported us through this ridiculous part of life.

it was never the drugs that were awesome, it was life that was awesome. the drugs just offered different perspectives

More later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey byebyedopiates,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story/taper method with us. I like your taper method and I really like that it's not set in stone. You're leaving yourself enough flexibility to rest when needed, but you also seem to have enough discipline to keep moving forward with your taper as you see fit.....I like it!!

I see you have 26 years of substance abuse under your belt, I was 25 years stuck on stupid. May I ask your plans to stay clean once off Suboxone? For me, getting clean and staying clean were two different animals. Just something for you to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Romeo,
Let me first do a follow up to my intro post. I will respond to your messsage next.

----------------------------------

After reading & re-reading my first post, I noticed things that could be clarified or elaborated on.

Generally my use of oxy ranged from twice per month to every few months, average dose 20mg/day.
At the beginning of 2012 I was having major life struggles and depression. I decided to go on an oxy binge to test the limits, and then to stop within 2-3 months. I started with 20mg/day being plenty, and got to the point that 100+mg/day was basic maintenance. I exceeded 200mg one day, and got an allergic reaction to one helping of generics I got. My face swelled, turned red and chapped layers peeled.

After about 3 months, I was already fed up with the accidental withdrawals from gaps in availability or planning. My tolerance was also going up fast ($$$), and my caring for life and loved ones was faint. The allergic face reaction was kind of a blessing in ugly disguise. It was time to stop. I was lucky to have a kind supplier, and hooked up with 1 strip of Suboxone, 8mg. I researched the crap out of it, and used it as properly as I could.

I wanted to make sure I didn’t relapse soon, forgetting why I was leaving this agony. I needed reinforcement outside my social or family circle. I bit the bullet and shared the truth of my addiction to…… a stranger / a medical professional / someone to properly scold me and support me at the same time.

Deciding to go on record with my situation was HUGE. It was like crawling out from under a rock and yelling for spotlights, with no undo button. My Sub doc actually found record of a Vicodin script available to me that I hadn’t picked up yet. My ego was crushed by her scolding, and I felt invaded upon when she found the other prescription in my records.

None of this exposure hurt worse than the delusional opiate hell I knew I was in.
I welcomed accountability and a LEGAL fix that I could buy, hold, travel with, budget for, etc….

Worth noting:

-Research multiple doctors!!!!
-The corporate Suboxone help line is AWESOME.

From the Suboxone website I found the list of local doctors. My first call was to a place that wanted in excess of $800 every month, with daily visits to start with. After 2 calls I was shattered and called the help line. They looked up the same list and called places for me, with me staying on the line with them. I was so unwell, and they took this burden from me. Within 2-3 calls they landed me an appointment for $100 for the first visit plus meds, $50 for follow up visits.

As I understand, the 8mg strips are about $8 each, the 2mg strips are about $6. ($1/mg vs $3/mg) Typical bulk discount from the dealer. I chose the annoying cutting tiny parts vs paying way more.

I’ve used the official Suboxone “copay” discount card, available on their website saving $50 off a minimum of 15 strips, 2mg or 8mg. The current discount is good until June 30, 2013. They might renew it. This is supposed to be for a 30 day supply. My “30 day supply” has tended to last quite a bit longer for me. The pharmacy sometimes whines about the dosage not making this a 30 day supply, but I insist on the discount & stress the urgency of me getting this medication. They check with someone, then it works out.

Suboxone side effects to note.....

Emotions:
My emotional sensitivity has been lessened. Dull, but a welcome short term relief. I’m generally growing out of some of this, but chemically subdued emotions have been pleasant. Emotional sensitivity has been a common trigger.

Music :
Typically, I've been a self-declared music-fiend. On Subox, I do like music, but the passion has been annihilated. This may be a creativity effect too.

While on Subox, things have just been more “matter of fact”, less dreamy, less fragile.
As my dose lessens, my fondness for music and broader emotional spectrum become apparent. I’ve been just fine without this, but I now welcome the return.

--------------------------------------

A truth that is kinda sad, but TRUE…..
Regardless of sentiment, there may be people in our lives that simply don’t belong there. Moving on for the right reasons hurts far less than continually struggling to grasp at illusions.

Irresponsible people with baggage have been a HUGE burden and trigger for my substance abuse. Having baggage is one thing. Dumping it on others so you can collect and dump more baggage on others is rude at best. There are no words or stories that make this a friendship. This is an abusive relationship, walk away. If you can't walk away, just fail to make time for it.... over and over and over.

At the end of my first message…
-Yes, I meant thankS a million, not thank a million.
-The drugs have offered not just a different perspective, but also temporary relief of mind and/or body. My ultimate goal is to properly train and care for my mind and body as to not rely on external chemicals to adjust me.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

also....

Call multiple pharmacies, the price varies a lot.
Retail for 15x 8mg was roughly $116 - $150.

After the $50 Suboxone copay discount, my cost has been....
$66 for 15x 8mg. $4.40 per strip.
(a large, common, chain Pharmacy / General goods store)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there Romeo,
Thanks for your praise.

As far as staying clean vs getting clean:
Remaining trustworthy to myself is crucial. I don’t tell myself or anyone “ I’ll never do xxxxx again”. I try to grow, try to progress. I try to understand the difference between use and abuse. There can be a difference, but we can destroy the option of use through abuse.

I’ve still used pot and alcohol during my Suboxone treatment, though I can really say that my use has been more responsible. I haven’t gone to meetings. I think I’d be even better off if I stepped up more. I did decide toward the beginning of my Subox to commit to 4 months of no illicit opiates. It’s been 11 months and still no illicit opies, just Subox.

My Oxy binge, and Suboxone / doctor outcome really helped me to see my substance abuse more clearly. It can be easy to make light of “my little pot/alcohol thing”. By the time I really wanted clarity, I saw the interferences more clearly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I probably should have started this thread in a different spot on this site.

I struggled a little to figure out how to post at all.

This thread is currently under "members only", and I would like it to benefit anyone that wants to read it, not just a registered member.

Any advice or possible adjustment by Admin would be appreciated.

Post subject: Moved
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:49 pm 

Hi byebyedopiates,

Congrats on coming up with a great taper plan. It is very similar to most of those I've read about here. Never dropping more than 20-25% is important. I dropped too fast once and paid the price. At least you know already what will and what will not work.

In case you didn't notice, your thread was moved to this new section so all viewers can see it. Plus, if you ever need some editing or whatever to a post, PM any moderator and we'll be happy to oblige. If my memory serves me right, a poster has about 10-15 minutes after hitting "Submit" to go back in and edit it. Correct me anyone if I am wrong.

Welcome to the forum! We have some very good people here with tons of knowledge about Suboxone. When you have some free time, poke around the archives and you'll learn quite a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

rule62,
Thank you.

Quick update....

The taper is progressing beautifully.
I'm at 0.25mg twice a day. I'll transition to 0.125 twice a day, then once a day, then every 2 days, then elimination.

One morning when I was very sleepy, I accidentally ate 0.6mg instead of 0.35. Fortunately the amount of Suboxone in one's system is usually based on the cumulative effects of multiple doses. By delaying my next dose and then proceeding with the taper, all was fine. I had initially worried there could be a setback in lowering my dosage needs.

For me, Suboxone has changed my life for the better. I feel that it’s helped me regulate many aspects of my life beyond just opiates. It has been sort of a life training tool. I'm very glad that I chose to utilize it. I am equally glad to be discontinuing my use at this point. I don’t believe I need it now, and life feels a little better without it.

thanks for reading, and best wishes

Post subject: Update (good)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there folks,

I stayed at 0.25mg twice a day for longer than planned... 7 days instead of 3. I was having some life stress in the "good personal growth" department. I was unsure how the suboxone reduction was affecting my anxiety levels so I played it safe.

I then decided to push the reduction down to 0.15mg, then 0.125 (twice daily) and can say that I barely even noticed. In terms of anxiety, it was more effective to clean part of my apartment than to avoid dosage reduction. Maintaining the 0.25 dose did not help anxiety. Caring for my environment like a slightly responsible adult did help A LOT, even while reducing my dose to 1/2 of what it had just been.

In so much of my reading it has seemed like most threads about quitting tend to just stop well before the process has completed. This can make it tougher to have hope. I always do hope these people just got clean and busy with productive lives. However, we know the strong possibility that they slid back into the pit.

I do sincerely plan to update this thread until my suboxone dosage has hit zero for a week at least. (well beyond the 72 hour half-life issue)

I’ll be comfortably off this stuff soon. There’s no “maybe” about it.

Post subject: Re: Update (good)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

byebyedopiates wrote:

In so much of my reading it has seemed like most threads about quitting tend to just stop well before the process has completed. This can make it tougher to have hope. I always do hope these people just got clean and busy with productive lives. However, we know the strong possibility that they slid back into the pit.

I do sincerely plan to update this thread until my suboxone dosage has hit zero for a week at least. (well beyond the 72 hour half-life issue)

I’ll be comfortably off this stuff soon. There’s no “maybe” about it.

I just gotta say man that it's really heartening to see someone taper while being at peace with the fact they're on Suboxone, and can speak candidly about the role Suboxone has played in furthering their recovery. In my time on this forum, I've noticed that the people who share this attitude are the ones who tend to do well with their taper and long term recovery. Keep it up. I'm definitely going to follow your progress.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'll give a more detailed update soon.

Thanks TeeJay for your reply. I've started a response several times in the last month, but never finished enough to send it.
Somewhere on my computer I have saved copies of these almost-responded notes.
-----------------------

As I reduced my dose to 10% of what it was, I took on some responsibilities to catch up to where I should have been. I committed, which required focus and follow-thru.

I delayed further dosage reduction due to stress, being busy, difficulty maintaining proper eating, hydration and sleep.

I had gradually reduced to 0.25mg per day, from a peak of 2.66mg per day. From 0.25mg I raised again to 0.33mg per day to ensure stability.

I've reduced to 0.25mg again, and am now lowering the dosage since I've been steady at a low dose for weeks.

The half life is said to be 72 hours, but full elimination of higher doses may take weeks.

Best wishes, and more info to come

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:47 am 

It's not unusual to hit a stall in tapering progress. Just keep plugging along! You're still doing well.

Have you thought about what you're going to do differently when you are off suboxone for good? What is your plan to continue to be a recovering/recovered addict? Is your support system in place? Do you have someone to call if you feel cravings?

I'm sorry if you've already mentioned this and I've missed it. I wish you the best!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy,

I do feel that stalling mid-taper can be just fine, or even crucial to the end goal …especially to gain stability in life, or for the comfort of the detox process. Considering I had maxed out at 2.66mg/day (1/3 of an 8mg strip) I figured that 0.25-0.33mg/per day was a great milestone, being approximately 1/10th of my peak dose.

As far as planning for my future stability, in the last year I've changed my social scene and personal habits/outlook a lot. I've recently started seeing a therapist thru a prominent college in my area. I have typically been the support system for many around me, so I am actually my primary source of support. I expect I will ultimately join a program to offer support, and to have support as well.

Financial (or other) stress, as well as poor eating (lack of caloric intake/insufficient fresh produce), poor hydration can really masquerade as, or intensify apparent withdrawal agonies.

At times I'm unusually in tune to my body, and at other times I'm as oblivious as putty. When I have too much on my mind and get spread too thin I become a bit stupid.

A COMMON SYMPTOM OF DEHYDRATION IS RESTLESSNESS:
I tend toward chronic dehydration, and began to realize its effect on my supposed opiate-related "RLS" (restless leg syndrome). It took some time to act on my hunch, but then my research on dehydration symptoms coupled with moderately chugging water worked absolute wonders. Hydration is no cure-all, but I can only imagine how much comfort and rest have been lost, and how many benzos have been eaten trying to alleviate RLS, when simple water may have done the trick......

example:
The other night, I couldn’t get to sleep, then I couldn’t stay asleep, at one point I awoke and stayed in an exhausted fidgety state, too tired to get water........until finally I got up, got a 20oz bottle of water, and was sleeping soundly before I finished it. Maybe less than 10 minutes.

I do have a prescription for Xanax which I’ve always taken VERY sparingly. Xanax usually works too well or too little. It either doesn’t put me down, even after 2-3 doses, or some days a single dose takes me out for a whole day, still dragging the next day.

I have started depending much more on water to attain physical and mental comfort.
--------------------------------------------------------------
It's funny how intimidating the Suboxone dosage reductions can seem before you actually reduce.

Cutting up the portions in advance can help a lot. At the moment that it's time to dose is not the best time to do precision cuts, so I just kept eating the easy, non-reduced cut in order to carry on. One day I simply diced up a week’s worth of smaller doses and proceeded to consume smaller doses without much issue.

example:
When dividing, naturally some parts will simply be a tad bigger than the rest. Some will be the smaller portions.
I start consuming the larger portions, which compliments the taper idea as I end with smaller portions.

To attain a 0.25mg dose…………….I cut an 8mg strip into 4 parts, 2mg+/- each.
I cut the 2mg’s in half = 2x 1mg parts.
I cut the 1mg’s in half = 2x 0.5mg parts.
I cut the 0.5mg’s in half = 2x 0.25mg parts. (this is not rocket science. The actual sizes will vary a lot)
My dose hovered at 0.25mg for awhile. I finally started cutting a 1/4th notch out of each unit, leaving 0.1875mg (according to the calculator, not the absolute true amount of meds)

The next step was to estimate the cut splitting 0.25mg into 0.15mg and 0.10mg. (3 parts to 2 parts)
I'm dosing at 0.15mg/day now.
****again, not rocket science. Depending on how much the actual cut parts vary in size, you may dose a little more or less often….. tiny piece: dose 20 hours later; larger piece: dose 26 hours later

At low doses I've been dosing once per day now, steadily for a month or more. For the year I was on Subs before tapering, I dosed twice daily to avoid surges and gaps.

Now, after a reduction, I may re-dose 18-22 hours later at first. Within a few days I'm hitting 26 hours without discomfort.
For me, adjusting the hours between doses helps to ease the transitions. If the reduced amount isn’t perfect, then the hours between doses will bridge the gap.
Trust your body, and cut yourself a small amount of slack.
-------------------------------------------------------

I’m going to visit family in 3 weeks and plan to be off the daily doses by then. I will bring some tiny pre-cut pieces with me to ensure that I’m okay for an overdue connection with some very loved people.

.............There's my update.
I hope the information about my experiences and personal quirks can help one or more people get to a better place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm down to 0.0625mg per day, and I may hold at that dose for a week or so.

I can't afford much extra downtime right now, as this is a crucial moment for me.

-I've quit 1 of 2 jobs, and am starting another that will take intense focus initially
-I'm barely catching up on financial situations
-I have new urgent household issues (mice)
-I'm going on a short trip

Boohoo, boohoo

In the last month of my taper, I've been pushing myself to get off Subs more quickly for my trip. I didn't quite make it, but I got very close and I'm psyched about that.
After I stabilize at 0.625mg a bit longer I'll probably be ready to quit..... to take that jump I've been preparing for.

------------------------------------------
0.0625mg = 1/16th of 1mg = 1/128th of an 8mg strip.
It’s crazy that an 8mg strip used to last me 3 days, now it would last over 4 months.

I’ve dropped 75% off my dosing in the last month. From 0.25mg to 0.0625mg.
It seems ridiculous at such a tiny dose, but I still do feel mild symptoms of withdrawal as I drop:
-Laziness, exhaustion & sleeping longer hours
-Very slightly grumpy or irritable
-Lessened coordination and focus, worsening the irritability through clumsiness
-Occasional body temp issues. This has become rare, but did happen yesterday.

I’ve started to actually appreciate this general sense of “feely a little crappy”. I’m not feeling super crappy, and the little crappy I endure brings me closer to the end of feeling crappy. It’s basically a detox and I if I want to be done sooner, I have to endure a little more discomfort sooner.
I think now that I’m so close to the finish line, the fear of withdrawals is a lot less. Any suffering ahead of me will be pretty manageable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Quick update:

I stayed at 0.0625mg daily for a bit in order to fully stabilize. (62.5 micrograms)

Yesterday I forgot to dose before leaving the house. I didn't notice substantial issues, and chose not to dose upon returning home.

It's now been 48 hours since my last tiny dose, and I'll see what happens. As long as I feel moderately okay, I'll just stick with it and be done.

My taper has taken about 3.5 months from 2.66mg per day. I thought it would be quicker, but maintaining comfort was a bigger priority than duration.

I focused on the greatness of being okay with less each step of the way down, and the end goal of non-dependence.

I stalled a few times during reductions and just held at the lowered dose for a bit to gain comfort and insight.

Using a good taper process is like paying back a debt at a rate you can afford. You're likely to feel the payments, but they won't break you. Missing a payment (reduction) when you can't afford it just delays the end game. There's no real setback other than time, as long as you have the meds available, and don't beat yourself up about it.

More later.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

FINISHED WITH TAPER!

My last dose of Suboxone was 17 days ago.

My dose had gotten so low (0.03125mg/day) that the final jump was a total non-issue.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow!!!!

Great job! I'm so glad to hear this good news!

Thank you so much for sharing your update for those who are struggling with a taper. The fear of the final jump is a big issue for most taperers. And you just gave them some hope!

Q

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:58 pm 

Thanks for coming back and letting us know! That is awesome that you were able to taper down so low and that stepping off did not bother you!

I wish you the best as you continue your life without opiates. Come back every once in a while and let us know how you're doing, whether you get hit by cravings at some point and how you deal with it.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Quick update...

Still not using opiates or any hard drugs.

Smoked pot once in the last month.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I see it has been over a year since you posted that you were completely off suboxone and doing well. ..Thanks for the update! You were a member here before my time, but its really great to hear that you're still opiate free! Woo hoo! Congratulations!