It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 27 days and my story
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was on methadone before switching to suboxone I was at 100mg a day got to 70 and went to my appointment after the sub doc right after my dose. He suggest morphine for ten days then start sub like when I at
started withdrawal maybe 48 hours. So off I went to this magical sublingual. It just sounds more sophisticated than....I go to a methadone clinic. No but the real reason I switched is I went cold turkey for almost 20 days off methadone before needing someone to carry me in there to dose. That withdrawal from methadone scared me into having to try something else. So I was on 16 mg at the beginning then8mg.when 27 days ago I just had enough. I was sick of being a slave. Their was a series of very well designed events that even made me realize this is more than just my will wanting this stripped away. That is my only thing is no energy. For me the pain is more annoying maybe it is cause that methadone withdrawal is so engrained in my mind. I haven't had problem sleeping I have continued my physically demanding job thorough all of this. Throwing up wherever I could when I needed to. Curled up into a ball on our production table after ten days thinking this isn't getting any better. But then by no plan of mine I looked the calendar and tomorrow will be the longest within opiates since 2008 and ten years before that. My chills are More than the beginning and I'm way more tired. I have vitamins b12 at work and naproxen. You guys would say another month feeling like this? Wow let me know if you guys have advice. I need this time to be it. Thank god for this I needed to put something out there cause you understand and no one else in my life gets it. Thanks
Kenny

Post subject: Re: 27 days and my story
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Knn,
Have I understood you correctly in that you have now stopped suboxone?
I very much felt enslaved on methadone. Frequent chemist trips, supervised dosing. I became sick of It too. I stopped methadone at 40mg. It was months of pain. Pain I had never quite felt before.
I wanted desperately to be free of "needing" something. Even with a long history of depression, I was always resistant to take pharmaceutical drugs.
At some point it became obvious I could not succeed without something. I chose the safest option that would eventually allow me to rebuild a life.
I apologise if I have misread your post.
If you are in WD, head to the stopping suboxone section and make a point to visit this site daily.
Let us know how you are feeling!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:32 pm 

Hey Knnth welcome to the forum.

Katipo said it great and knows exactly what it's like switching from methadone to suboxone. I have zero experience with the switch but have heard and saw how miserable it is. Ppl that's switched from this forum talked about how long it takes to start feeling better once they've started taking suboxone. From what I understand, it's not an immediate "feeling better" experience for most, it can take a bit but it does finally happen. The sub will finally take over completely. But if you've came to the conclusion that u just wanna be off of everything including suboxone, then that's understandable and totally ur choice. I wish u lot's of luck and hopefully more ppl will be around to give u more advice.

Good luck! Oh and like Katipo said, check out the Stopping Suboxone section and also there's a Methadone section here too, maybe you'll find some posts that'll help.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Kenny.

I was not on methadone but was on hi dose fentanyl for many yrs. Like methadone, it is a long acting opiate with longer lasting effects. I wish rehab had explained this to me bc, while I remained so sick, I could not understand why others quickly detoxed and were well enough to focus on their recovery assignment work and thought I was the worst loser there. I lasted 30 days in rehab and left to start bup. Stabilized on it and got my life back, was a miracle drug for me. a few yrs off now and stopping went pretty well.

How long since stopping methadone? As I understand it, you stopped bup at 8mg and you are 27 days off? how long were you on bup and what dose did you stop at? Not trying to be nosey, just helps us better help you.

You said "Their was a series of very well designed events that even made me realize this is more than just my will wanting this stripped away." not asking you to say here what this means but wishing you had time for a lonngggg slowww taper off bup. And as its often said here, the stopping is hard, its the staying stopped that's harder... Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for everyone that replied. I started suboxone ita almost been a year. So this time last year I was making the switch from methadone. I was on 100 mg for 18 months and I was on suboxone for not quite a year.. and today is 28 days. Why is it I went through a week last week feeling good and then yesterday and last night horrible today I'm working but trying to take it easy. My blood pressure is high I haven't eaten that much the last few days. Nauseated. Sneezing a lot. And just effing tired. I can't sleep I can't sit still and I can't move around. It's quite a conundrum. I have been taking b12 and naproxen but not regularly. I should probably keep on that. I honestly wish I would have stuck with the ten day withdrawal back in the day. I truly believe in suboxone not so methadone. Cause I was loaded everyday. I guess if you are on a dose and don't have it in you to do what we all do and keep getting more cause if one is good well.... 100 must be real nice. The only reason I truly got off methadone was because when I moved up from Fresno to reading where I am from they didn't have a clinic and I was driving to Chico everyday. A month of that was enough to start a fire underneath me to find a suboxone. I found one after searching endlessly for something affordable. I ended up getting on some free program since I didn't have insurance the things that fall into place when you truly want to better yourself it is pretty astounding to say the least. When I went in after being off methadone for 2 weeks. And 2 days with out morphine I took my first suboxone and felt worse so the doctor gave me another one and I felt even worse. So I went home and the next day when took another one it finally took a little edge off. But nothing close to what I was wanting. Had I know I would be clear headed and not loaded I probably wouldn't have made the switch. It was a couple months of me feeling chills and irritable and my mood was all over the place cause to me I was sober as I ever have been. I didn't like it. But I stuck to it. And I wasn't planning on tapering down cause I wasn't planning on stopping. But when I got insurance and I found out I was going to govern start over again. I told myself looking at 2 strips. This is it. The first week was easy. I think even though I have a fast metabolism opiates half life is 30 to 50 percebtlongwr than everyone talk to. They say day 3 is the worst but day ten through15 were the worst for me. Now I feel like it is a lingering pain one that feels like its holding on for dear life before I get to start feeling myself. I wouldn't recommend either of these drugs for opiate addiction. I would rather detox of anything else besides this. I just turned this into a decade of fear instead of just facing my consequences in the beginning. We all get scared of the withdrawal. Grown men will cry steal beg cheat and completely live with zero dignity and self respect. That is a dark hole. But if this coward can face it one on one. I have hope for everyone. God bless you all and thank you for your time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Knnthchinn,

All I can say, is keep pushing through. This too shall pass.. Right? Can you take any comfort meds to help ease your withdraw? If you go to your general practitioner and tell them your situation, you can get something for your high blood pressure "clonadine" and this will help take the edge off and hopefully calm you down a bit. This helped me tremendously when I was in rehab./detox
Also, warm baths and music... and immodium can help as well if you are having bathroom issues or help with nausea.

Good luck and I hope things get better for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:34 pm 

I'm sure it's extremely difficult to go through coming off suboxone if u don't do a slow taper. You've made it 27 or more days and that's awesome and I'm very happy for u. I think you've got through the worst and coming out to the other side.

I do however disagree about not recommending suboxone for opiate addiction. That's just not my thoughts on it at all. I have suffered such horrendous cravings, that rehab, jail, detox's...u name it I tried it, nothing worked. I've went months and months without doing one single opiate but couldn't tolerate the cravings and obsessions, couldn't even function and had to force myself to shower even. See, I could stop using and I did many many times, but I couldn't stay stopped. I'd be over the physical part but never could make it past the mental part. And that's what I think suboxone is for honestly. If I could have stayed completely clean by stopping, I'd been fine after the first time I quit, but that's not how it works a lot of the time. Some ppl stay on sub long enough to get their lives bk together and feel fine to start tapering and do well when they're off. Others like myself, could stop at anytime but the mental anguish would lead em straight bk to using again. We all have different paths and are not all the same. Suboxone has saved my life so I'd definitely recommend it for opiate addiction. I just wanted to explain my side of that. I understand ur point too but keep in mind that the physical part wasn't the worst part for me.

Good luck and I hope u stick around with updates :)