It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello! I have been a long time member of the forum, and I thought I posted back in Aug of 2011 when I went on Sub but can't find that. Anyway, last Tuesday was my last 1 mg dose so I guess I am 6.5 days in since I took my previous full dose. My doc of the past 2.5 years has been wonderful, trying the whole time to get me to taper, started on 16, got down to 1.5 before she closed her practice (retiring to go work for the government!). Anyway, I think I am pretty much in the peak of WDs, no sleep, bowels are liquid, muscle aches, head ache, feel like crap. Don't really have the option of just vegging out, but listening to a lot of music seems to be helping my brain produce some of it's own Dopamine.

Here is my question, I need advice on what supplements, vitamins, whatever people have found that help get their body/brain back on the right track. I am sure there is a ton of information here to be found, and I have been reading a lot but not finding anything all that specific I guess.

Thanks to everyone!

"One man gathers what another man spills"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:44 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow! First of all, huge congrats on 6.5 days! That's huge for jumping from that amount. I did a lot of research as well in regard to supplements, & during my taper (currently at .5) I've been taking a Multi V, B-6, L Tyrosine, & I also have Valerian root which I heard is pretty good for anxiety & sleep, but I have comfort meds so haven't really bothered with it. One thing though...try to split them up. At first I was taking everything all at once with breakfast & they were upsetting my stomach more than it already was. I take 2 caps of the L Tyrosine midday because it's supposed to help with energy, lethargy, etc. Do you have any Rx meds for your jump, or just straight cold turkey? Best of Luci & keep us posted!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you! I kinda put myself in this position by not doing a better job of tapering while my doc was still in the private sector I guess. I should have mentioned that I do have Chlonidine for WDs and Buspar for anxiety. But those really haven't helped with the sleeping. I am just hoping to be able to continue to muscle through and get to the other side I just wish I thought the other side was closer than it probably is!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:06 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Same here, only xanax not buspar. I take the xans during the day and last night I took one clon an hour before bedtime, then at bedtime took another 1/2 clon and slept really well all through the night. I am at a way lower dose though. Have you been taking the clon regularly? I noticed it started working a lot better after it started building in my system a little bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From the dose you jumped from, you're exactly right that you're probably at peak wd right about now. You should notice a decent improvement in your wd symptoms within a day or two.

Listening to music is a great way to improve wd symptoms. Taking a hot shower will feel like heaven, as well. I know your brain and body are telling you to veg out right now, but that's about the worst thing you can do. Try to force yourself to get up and do something. Anything. Walk around the block. Go for a drive and crank the tunes. Do something, it will help.

Try taking the Clonidine within an hour or so of bedtime. Clonidine has a sedative effect that takes a bit to kick in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry I dropped off for a day or so, thank you so much to mama and Romeo for your input. I am still moving along, on day 8 now and I honestly can't tell how much better I feel. Still really struggling with sleep, last night was able to sleep for about 3 hours after taking Chlonodine. Laid awake for an hour and then took another, got back to sleep about another hour later and slept about 3 hours again. I am sure that it pretty normal, but it is the strangest thing for me because I have NEVER in my life had a problem with sleeping in the morning, I am 44 and since I was 12 I could sleep until noon every day if life would allow!!

Anyway, I really appreciate the advice, like I said music helps tremendously and definitely no worries Romeo, I couldn't veg if I wanted to, I have way to many irons in the fire. I know my WDs haven't been nearly as bad as other peoples for that I thank God! (literally I have been thanking God!).

For anyone else reading this, I would not dare to give you advice about whether or not to make the jump, but if you do, Romeo is right. You HAVE to get out and do something at least some of the time. I know from reading on here that people have found all kinds of ways to stir up endorphins or dopamine. Keep looking for YOUR "thing". For me, it is music. I feel so much better when listening to music that as long as I can take it with me, I feel like I can do so much more than if I just go without!

OK, enough ramble for now. I just needed to get some "therapy" today. I hope that everyone out there is finding their own success. Subox saved my life, my marriage, my family but now being OFF Subs is doing the same!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:04 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi CO,
I just would like to add my support, a big "congratulations" for jumping, and thanks for posting! It is motivating to hear from people who have jumped and are alive and well enough to share!!
Did you jump from 3mgs, or 1mg? Either way, wow, that is quite an accomplishment! Yes, music is really helpful, I agree- and so nice to start to "feel" and truly be moved by music again...
Keep posting!
rca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jumped from 2 mgs and right behind you at 5 days heading into 6 tomorrow! Feels like walking through mud wearing an iron suit right now but thats okay, it cant last forever and I have actually had this feeling while on subs every now and then when I would have bouts of random insomnia. Every improvement I feel makes me giddy almost =) the sweats stopped for me on day 3 thank god.

try immodium for your tummy. Helps me so much. I dont have any clonidine for sleep but eventually I figure my body will finally give in and stop fighting sleep!

We got this! Be over before we know it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey CO, I think I'm confused. The title of your thread says jumped from 3mg, but your first post says 1mg? There will be a fairly significant difference in your wd experience if you jumped from 3mg, rather than 1mg.

Either way, the sleep disturbances are normal and getting short blocks of sleep is normal, too. Some people find their sleep improves fairly quickly while others take a good bit longer. I'll tell you this, the fact that you got two 3 hour blocks of sleep on day 8 is actually pretty good. On day 8, I was getting maybe 20 minutes of sleep per night.....same with day 1 through day 7.

I'm glad you're keeping busy, that's good to hear. Keep putting one foot in front of the other, things will get better, I promise....but it does take time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

OK, I can definitely see how my original post and the title of my thread are confusing. So let me clarify and maybe ramble a bit. Started out on 16 MG in August 2011. Kept on that dose pretty much for 2 years until last fall when, because of a slip up and vacationing doctor I found myself running out "suddenly" with no hope for help for at least 10 days. Over that experience I went from 16 to 8 in the course of about 2 weeks. The next thing I know I was at 6, then 5. Hung at 5 for a while and then just as quickly as I had gone from 16 to 8, I went from 5 to 3. (One thing that helped me tremendously was getting my doc to prescribe 2 mg strips once I got to 6 so I could take 3 over the course of a day). Anyway, last Monday (Memorial Day) I took my final 3 mg dose and had half a 2mg strip (1mg) left which I cut in two and took over the course of last Tuesday.

So, my final day was 1mg but I was very stable at 3mg for about 6 -8 weeks leading up to that point. I pretty much decided that I would have to run out in order to really force myself to jump. My doc, who I thought the world of, closed her practice and went to work for the VA (not the best timing I know on her part but she was a life saver for me!!).

Anyway, that is my deal. Day 9. I guess I shouldn't complain about my sleeping considering what others have been going through, I think things are getting a bit better overall. The mornings are the worst for me, to be honest I got up each day looking forward to that little film and the "pick me up" that came along with it, I think that is probably what makes it the most difficult...knowing it isn't coming and I have to make myself feel better in the AM! But I am still very happy with where I am, not going back just have to muscle through for the next bit, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dang, you basically jumped from 3mg!! You're doing fantastically well for being on day 9 of a 3mg jump, way to go!!!

You're already seeing how you're missing your AM dose, eh? This is where things can start to get tricky. Getting off of drugs is one thing, staying off of them is an entirely different animal. This is recovery comes in. For me, recovery is mostly about recognizing my addict behaviors, then doing something about it. While I attended NA, I was pretty good about learning what my addict behaviors were, but I didn't do squat about them, and that's where the slips I had came in.

Wanting that morning pick me up (from a narcotic) is addict behavior. You've recognized that and you've already mentioned you know you have to do something to make yourself feel better, now what are you actually going to do to make yourself feel better. You're halfway through the behavior change by recognizing it, now do something about it.....and make a habit of it if it works!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:27 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Cautiously Optimistic wrote:
subox saved my life, my marriage, my family but now being OFF Subs is doing the same!!

to funny I feel the same. :lol: romeo gave you some great advice I am going to use myself. You have a great mindset, keep it moving. This will all be a memory in no time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well until now I guess I hadn't really thought about that being an addict behavior but it totally makes sense. I guess now to figure out what to replace that with. I know changing behavior is an absolute necessity, can't make this kind of life change without some serious changes, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cautiously Optimistic wrote:
Well until now I guess I hadn't really thought about that being an addict behavior but it totally makes sense. I guess now to figure out what to replace that with. I know changing behavior is an absolute necessity, can't make this kind of life change without some serious changes, right?

You know that saying in NA about, "doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results is the definition of insanity."

Well, by reading your last post, it seems you already understand what took me almost a year off Suboxone to catch. You're either pretty smart or I'm pretty stupid.....probably the latter. :lol: