It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I was wondering if someone can give me some input. I'm not sure how heavy of a user that I was in everyboby's eyes, but I used to be a 90mg/day oxy user. If I couldn't find those, I'd eat 8 vics/day. This went on for about 2 years until I found suboxone as an escape from my opiate addiction. Since then I had been prescribed 8mg/day (suboxone). I never could take more than 4mg's or i'd get really sick (for this reason, I wonder if my abuse wasn't as heavy as some other people). Regardless, I have a nasty addiction that needs to stop. I am now taking less than 1mg a day, probably like .75mg/day. I just graduated college and just got the phone call yesterday, telling me that I got the job that I had been interviewing for over a month. Monday, (3 days from now) I have to take a drug test. I havent used any other drug than suboxone over the past month or so. I am nervous about suboxone showing up for whatever reason so I have made the decision to just stop taking my small dosage of suboxone and deal with the mental and physical withdrawels. I last took my dosage over 30 hours ago. I actually dont feel that bad. I popped a couple of advil (because I heard that it helps) and I cannot say that its anything that I can't deal with. How much worse is it gonna get and can anybody help me with ideas to cope with my upcoming mental and physical struggles? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

PS I am a motivated individual that wants to quit everything with all of my heart. What you give me in the way of input will be useful and I promise to put your ideas to work.

Signed,

Just a guy that wants his life back

Last edited by wankster10 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi wankster and welcome. Congrats on the new job! With regard to the drug test, most "average" tests do not include testing for suboxone. They have to be testing specifically for suboxone and MOST employment drug screenings, as I understand it, don't look specifically for suboxone.

Suboxone has a mean half life of 37 hours. For that reason, usually physical symptoms of acute withdrawal don't show up for 3 days or so. Unfortunately, no one can say for sure how bad it will be for you, as everyone is different. Many people use Clonidine (a blood pressure med) to help with the withdrawals. Also, believe it or not, exercise really helps with the discomfort as well.

I haven't stopped suboxone yet, this is only what I've learned about stopping it. I'm sure others will come along soon and give you their experiences.

Good luck to you!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: thanks hatmaker 10
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just graduated with an engineering degree. This job means the world to me and I don't want to take any chances. My suboxone is sitting in a cubbord just 20 feet away from me, so believe me the temptation is there to take the chance. I just want to be done with this. I'm sick of a stupid orange pill dictating my day. In my head, suboxone gives me energy, makes things more enjoyable to me, helps me sleep, ect. I am almost to the point that I've forgotten what its like not to take a pill eveyday. With what little comprehention that I have left of the situation, I'm gonna make an attempt to jump off this medication at .75mg/day. I have made it almost 36 hours, actually who am i kidding, it's been 28 hours, I just have to make it though the day today and take some tylenol pm's tonight to help me sleep. I can do this. Actually,I have to do this. If this drug is more important than me getting a job that I spent the last 5 years of my life working towards, I have some serious problems. Thanks for your post.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: halfway through day 2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm strarting to feel like crap. I still think its more mental than anything. I'm trying to think of other people that are going through much worse pain than this, it makes me realize that what i'm going through really isn't as bad as it could be. I think I'm gonna go jog a few miles and blast some music in my ears. Hopefully it'll help. Otherwise, atleast I killed another hour...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey wankster,

I hear ya on the blasting music in your ears thing, I honestly don't know how I would have survived my detox if I didn't have some great Rock N Roll to help me through......and the LOUDER the better!!!

The day I quit taking Suboxone, I started on a broad spectrum vitamin. Most of us in wd don't eat very good, the vitamin will help. As Hatmaker said, Clonidine is an excellent med for opiate wd, believe me, it helps a lot. It won't erase all of your symptoms, but it makes a big difference!!

Try to do everything you can to keep your mind busy, the more you sit and think about how shitty you feel, the shittier you feel!! Any kind of physical activity is beneficial as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi wankster! Sorry I can't help blushing at your screen name! Funny. Lol

Good idea to go for a run. All the advise I've read on here when coming off subs includes Exercise.
Congratulations on the degree and good luck with your new job.

X C X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

yes I agree with romeo, if you sit around you will fail. You will notice the symptoms much much more and start to come up with reasons why taking some subs only 20 feet away might be worth it. You must stay off the couch and out of the house and if you are 100% sure you are done with subs you must just throw all your subs in the toilet. It will be impossible not to take some if they are right there infront of you. No matter how much your future is riding on not taking any the mental and physical stuff will most likely overpower your will if you have them right there. If you can, give the extra subs to a family member incase of an emergency.
Just go outside, ride a bike, be with people, listen to music. Do anything but sit around watching tv...good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ya, running and blasting music in your ears sends you to a different place. I will definately be doing that again tomorrow. :) Thanks for all the replies. I'll be back in the forum 2mmrw. In reply to the previous post, thats a great idea. I'm gonna give the rest of my subs to a friend to hold on to and to hopefully be throwing away for me in another week or so.

Post subject: New Job
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:25 pm 

Congrats on getting the job! What used to be hard enough, is now almost 4-1 against people landing steady employment so give yourself a huge pat on the back for the impression you made that got you hired.

Not much else I can add to the thread as there was some good stuff said already. Get the Sub out of the house where you can't get your hands on it for at least 2 months or more. The worst it will get be over in a week, two tops. I just don't think you'll have that hard of time going through the withdrawal process. (inserting positive thoughts)

Way to go man! A new good job and off Suboxone. And I don't blame you for not taking the chance that they don't screen for it.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You the man Rule. Thanks for the kind words.

Post subject: 37 hours...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My crappy feeling comes and goes. I definately like reading posts on this site. Its interesting and helps the time go by.
I gave my last 3 8mg subs to a friend to hold on to so that me temptations dont get the best of me. My wife just ate 2 vics and took my two little girls out to do something. In a way I like the peace and quiet, but I think it's f'd up that she has the nerve to eat 2 vics and a half hour later run around the house high as hell. I guess I'm glad i dont have to see her right now. I have three hours until I'm gonna pop 3 tylenol pm's and hopefully dose off for the night.

I guess I just felt like talking to somebody about my progress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mr. Wankster Dude,

You said, "I guess I just felt like talking to somebody about my progress", well, you're in luck, because THAT is what this site is for!!! Talk away man!! You may not always get a ton of replies, but rest assured that many people are reading what you've wrote.

Look, if you feel like chronicling your progress on an hour by hour basis and that helps you, then do it. If you feel like shouting about how crappy you feel, then do that. If you want to bitch and moan, then do that. Do whatever helps you!! If you feel the sudden urge to give me a million bucks (pounds?), BY ALL MEANS DO THAT FIRST!!!

Listen, you sound like you're doing pretty good wankster. You weaned yourself down to .75mg before jumping and that's really good. You're not gonna feel great for a while, but you're not sucking pavement either!! Keep your eye on the prize man!!

Oh Yeah, tell your wife to stop popping vic's in front of you!! What in the hell was she thinking??? Is she an addict or a recreational user?? If she's an addict, has she thought about Suboxone??

Post subject: don't flush 'em
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Whatever you do, wait to flush/throw away your Sub until you've stabilized maybe after a few months. Having a friend hold them is a great idea. However, if you feel you may relapse in the near future or the cravings are aweful, you will be glad to have access to some Subs. I think if you are motivated enough you can deal with the temptation to returning to Subs. I have flushed many meds planning to go off of them in the past, but I've learned that this is a big mistake because if something goes wrong I found I needed my medicine bad.

However, you must do whatever helps you the most. Good luck!

James