It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone. I am currently in the process of getting of of Suboxone Films. This has been an extremely long process for me- about 5-6 years of using opiates and 4-5 years of taking Suboxone daily. As I was trying to prepare myself for the detox process, it occurred to me that it has been at least 10 years since I had a day without some type of medication in my system and that this was going to be a challenge. I had an easy time on Suboxone- I eliminated the drug life from my life, and have been in the mindset to be clean from drugs for a very long time. The thing keeping me on Suboxone was the fear of feeling the withdrawal symptoms. These fears are very understandable and real as any addict can tell you, but I have to believe the end result will be amazing since I know after this multi year process, I will not go back.

I wanted to write a bit about these past 7 days to help encourage others who are going through this or thinking of going through this, and also to look at myself so I can help myself when I get down. Quickly, I'll say that I don't regret getting on Suboxone, although the detox is arguably harder/longer than opiates, because I could never have stopped or weaned myself on opiates- I would be in jail or dead now, so for those reasons, I am grateful for where Suboxone has brought me.
*8 days ago: I have weaned myself down to 1/2mg a day. This was a long long process since I started at 16mg, but I got down to 12 mg and stayed there for a long time. I ended up bringing myself down from 12mg to 1/2 mg by myself but my doctor did know about it. The higher you are, the easier it is to go down... I didn't run into any problems until 1mg honestly. I took 1/2mg daily for a week before I stopped taking Suboxone. In that time I was having a lot of hot/cold sweats and temperature changes, but that was it.
*Day 1-4 were all basically the same for me. Throughout these days, my only struggle was the mental struggle of being used to taking some medication in the morning, but not taking it anymore. The first 4 days were basically withdrawal symptom free. I don't know if this is normal and happens similarly for others, but I was grateful for the time I got under my belt for when the difficult symptoms started. After 4 days of taking no medication, that was a large incentive for me to fight through the symptoms and not take any medication, since I do still have some left. The only physical symptom I could say happened during this time was not insomnia, but I was not sleeping as deeply as I normally do, and I would wake up many times a night, but I was able to get enough sleep.
*Day 5- I have been taking an Opiate Withdrawal Aid Program that I got from Amazon called Calm Support. It was expensive, but anything is worth it if it helps. I have been following the dosage instructions, but not entirely sure if it works well or not. On day 5 I started to get severe temp changes and RLS started. I tried to keep my mind as active and busy as possible with reading/hobbies which I think is beneficial. I had some old Tramadol left over- I took 2 in order to get some sleep which was off and on but I was up at 5:30AM for good.
*Day 6- Up at 5:30AM again after a night of very interrupted sleep, but still good enough. Same physical symptoms with the addition of some random cramping/pains in my lower abdomen/thighs. Although I am uncomfortable, and the time seems to drag, I am still proud of how long its been and have not wanted to turn to taking any Suboxone. The night of day 6 is where I was struggling A LOT! I was not able to get to sleep until 2:30AM due to very uncomfortable legs and although I wasn't sweating/cold, I could not find a comfortable temperature. I was finally able to fall asleep after taking some Benedryl and I slept straight through until 9.*** This was the first time in this process where I came close to taking Suboxone. I even went and grabbed the bottle, but I am happy now that I didn't take it.
*Day 7- It is now 4:46PM on day 7. I have been doing countless hours of research and today I picked up some RLS herbal meds. I took the recommended dose of 2 and I feel pretty good- good enough to sit cross legged long enough to write this without moving them 14636 times. The only thing driving me nuts is that my feet are FREEZING cold but feel sweaty at the same time. I have a few abdominal cramps randomly, but that's no big deal. I have had to either put a sweat shirt on or off a few times today- the temperature problems seem to come in waves/cycles. Last night was difficult but it is behind me. Tonight may be better or worse, but I'll get through it. I hope this is helpful for people- although I do still have symptoms, I feel like I have hit the peak last night, and am on the way to feeling better. I will know after tonight. I am open to talking to others here if anyone has any questions or wants some support if you are detoxing too. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think you did yourself a favor by tapering so low before 'jumping'. I see too many people jump impulsively from 8 or 16 mg, and that never seems to end positively.

Remember (or for other readers) that even minor use, during the withdrawal process, will set you back for weeks. It is the lack of activity in the endorphin pathways that stimulates grown of new receptors, and taking an opioid turns off that process.

Good luck Lola-- you should be feeling close to 100% by March, if not sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I too have decided to quit taking suboxone. Don't get me wrong, I think it does exactly what its intended to do and if you need an alternative route to get yourself well then its a viable option. I personally have been taking them for approximately 1 year. I kind of tapered off to about 4mg every other day for the last couple of weeks and today is my 8th day without anything. My withdrawal experience hasn't been as bad as I had expected up to this point. Mainly a huge loss of energy and a little insomnia. I just don't know if the worst is yet to come because as of yesterday I'm still testing positive for Bup. I got myself a few of those urine dip tests for Bup on Amazon for like 6 bucks prior to quitting just to keep track. I'll keep you posted of my progress. Wish me luck!
I