It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:05 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi my name is RJ. I'm new to this forum. I am writing this to ask for suggestions, help, supportc etc.

Please read and help me in anyway. I am losing my mind.
It is day 2 in my journey putting off suboxone. I have no words to describe the feelings I'm having. Physical symptoms include sweating, hot/cold chills, goosebumps, stomach aches, insomnia, tossing n turning in bed or when sitting still, sweating, sneezing, and depression. I regret ever staring this. It was one year that I took this pill. I even tapered myself before all this in an attempt to lessen the intensity. But it hasn't worked. I'm laying in bed all day. I start school on Monday and have no idea how I will be able to do this. I guess I'm here to ask for any help please tell me what I can do if any of you have gone through this. I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section or whatever I just want to hear someone out there. I feel so lonely even though I have friends to call- none are going thru the same thing so they can't relate.

Thanks ahead of time.

Post subject: RJ...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

HI RJ:

Oh boy, I read your posting and I feel bad for you. I'm indeed sorry that you are feeling bad, but...I can say from experience, that you will feel better!

There is a reason why you jumped off suboxone, so you will have to be strong. I don't know what else to say.

Everyday, you will feel alittle bit better...I've been where you are right now, so it is possible.

Say strong and you can send me a message anytime my friend.

Aloha
Samurai

Post subject: Feeling Bad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:25 pm 

Welcome to the forum GodHelpMe,

I know that statement doesn't help your situation but we are glad to have you here. Considering I've never stopped my Suboxone I don't really have much to tell you what will help and what won't. Others will post behind me who have been where you are now and may be able to give you some good advice.

You could go read some older posts in this section and see what the others said to do. That is about all I can suggest for now. If no one else helps then I'll go digging and find some things to recommend.

How much Sub were you on when you stopped? And just how fast was your taper? Sorry for the questions but we need more info in order to help.

Rule

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you have any comfort meds? Clonidine is really helpful, it's a blood pressure medication that also helps with opiate withdrawal (insomnia, anxiety, rls, goosebumps are all helped by clonidine), immodium is good for the intestinal stuff and there are some other meds that are good for withdrawal. Do you have a doctor who can help you out?

Other than that, stay hydrated, take hot hot baths with epsom salts and try to distract yourself. When you feel like you can try to get some exercise.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey GodHelpMe,

Welcome to the forum!

I know exactly how you feel. I had all of those symptoms when I quit Suboxone and they SUCK!!!

First off, can you tell us how big of a dose of Suboxone you jumped off of? About your taper, at what mg level did you start your taper, what mg level did you end at and how long did you take to get there?

DoaQ is exactly right in suggesting Clonidine. Many of us who got off Suboxone have used it and it does help, it helped me a good bit. It won't eliminate all of your symptoms, but it should knock them down a peg or two.

Again, as DoaQ already stated, Immodium is another thing you can take. Immodium is almost chemically identical to Demerol, but Immodium supposedly does not cross the blood brain barrier, so it won't get you high, but many people have reported decent relief with taking it. It will certainly help calm down your "bathroom visits."

Also, if you have access to some Benzo's (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin), they'll help relax you. BUT, they are highly addictive drugs too!! You would only want to take them for a very short while, a week or so? Benzo's are even harder to get off of than opiates, so don't even think about abusing them or taking them long term.

Suboxone wd can be bear, but I made it and you can too!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been obsessed with reading about people's tapers !!

Seriously obsessed.

I know I'm knew to Suboxone, (june) but, I'm terrified of coming off it.

I'm the biggest baby when it comes to withdrawal.

I appreciate everyone that has put those stories out there but I'm sure I missed some, i'm still new.
If anyone can PM with some good links, that would be great.
I'm having trouble feeling like I fit in here.

I apologize for jumping in on this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Jackie - Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you feel like you don't fit in here, I hope that feeling will pass. Most of us don't bite! Seriously, there are some awesome people here and I hope you find some help and support.

There are lots of taper stories in the Stopping Suboxone section of the forum. The Liquified Taper thread has several members' stories in it, and there is another Sticky Thread (Microgram Taper Super Thread) that has a bunch of links to successful taper stories. (Which reminds me, I need to put more links in there.)

Laddertipper had a successful taper with pretty minimal withdrawal, Romeo jumped with no taper and lived to tell the tale and I know there are a bunch of others but they're not coming to me right now. Another place to look is in the Bupe in the Rearview Mirror section, sometimes people who have successfully gotten off Sub come back and update us there - then you can search for that member's posts and see if they have a taper thread.

Please don't freak yourself out about how hard getting off Sub might be. When I started I thought I'd stay on it forever, but by the time I quit I was more than ready and it wasn't that bad. Sub can be a great tool to help you get your life together and work on your recovery and if you do that I think you'll be suprised at how different your perspective will be when (and if) the time comes to taper off.

Let me know if I can be of any help and again welcome!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am new here too and I feel for you, I am 45 days off Sub. You can do it! Stay positive! Everyone here has given great advice, take it, and find what works for you.
Hot baths, Ibuprofen, and music helped me greatly. But time is really the only thing that has made me feel better. I know that's hard to hear with how you're feeling right now. But it does get better. Trust me. And just think, you'll only have to go through this once. Remember how you're feeling now, and tell yourself you don't ever want to go back. That's what I tell myself every day. So far it has worked. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:44 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Believe it or not and as little as it is you all who have answered have given me hope in humanity. Yeah I know it's really hopeless of me to say but the emotional withdrawal aspect of this is the part that stings my optimism most. I don't want to be a whiny person or someone who is negative but my suboxone process wasn't right. Let me describe my journey to help give perspective.
I went to rehab last year in march. I went for moderate use of pain pills(OxyContin,hydro,etc.). I also went for heavy use of cannabis. I believe some people can control their lives and use cannabis for recreational use, while still be sufficient but my psychological dependance on it engulfed my life. The pain pills also had their spurts of necessity. But u never experienced withdrawal from drugs as I never had pills for more than a few nights. That's why I am so much weaker than others because this is my very first withdrawal I have ever experienced. Marijuana helped my depression so I used it non stop. I went to rehab inpatient in march last year and got out one month later. The inpatient part was only 7 days. As I was administered they gave me suboxone for those days I was there and tapered me the 6th and 7th days. I was confused why because I even told then I had no withdrawal symptoms. Whatever the case I started a suboxone program on 8mg a day. I must add I only weigh 145lbs and am 5"10 so I'm a smaller guy. My tapering started in June and went from 8 to 4 for jue. Then from 4 to 2 in July. And here in August the 1st 2 weeks of August I was taking 1mg. My doctor wanted me to stay on longer for about another month or two but I told him I have to quit before school. So he cut the 1-0.5mg jump short. I literally only took 0.5 for 3 days. And 4"3 days before that I was on 1mg. In between those were a few days off suboxone for different reasons(running out / vacation). So here I am day 2 off it. The doctor didn't give me colonine because my family has a history of low blood pressure but he gave me gabapentin.

I'm so thankful you guys replied. Thank you sincerely. My days went by so fast before this. But under this each minute seems like an eternity. I have to keep telling myself one day at a time but how can I do that when this will take two weeks?! For you who have already gone through this how long did it take for everything to be completely back to normal. What symptoms were most present during which days. Thank you guys. You made me feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

An old friend of mine decided to stop Suboxone August 1, she quit at almost exactly the same dose you did and about the same taper.

Day 5 through about day 8 were her worst. She's on day 17 now, feeling a lot better, but still having bouts of wd.

Suboxone wd is notoriously hard to predict. Some people get down to the doses you did and don't feel too, too bad. Some people jump from the dose you did and feel pretty crappy.

Ideally, you should have tapered down closer to .25mg, .125mg or even lower. The lower you taper, the less wd you usually feel.

Is there anyway you can get back on Suboxone and continue your taper? If you can't, I understand, but I'm not gonna lie to you.....you're more than likely to continue feeling wd for a little while.

A lot of people complain that the mental component of Suboxone wd is the hardest, it was for me, so you're not alone there.

As far as being weaker than others because this is your first wd.....nobody, but NOBODY likes opiate wd. Opiate wd is not fun. You're no weaker than anyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:03 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks Romeo you are an amazing person for replying. All of you thanks.

Nights seem to be my worse. And here is night 1am. I get this weird feeling in spurts where I feel like I need to lash out. Almost like a jolt of energy goes through my body that I can't handle. Like no matter what position I am in I cannot get comfortable. I keep moving and I'm uncomfortable. My chest and legs feel severe discomfort. And for some reason I'm sweating more than anytime in the last two days. And the shivers are at a peak. I read somewhere day 3 is where the hardest starts-so tomorrow. I'm just so thankful I found this forum. It really gives me hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:47 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I also cannot go on suboxone again to be tapered more. The main reason is the symptoms I've had the last 2 days. I want these to be gone forever.

I have also came to the realization reading a lot on people quoting on searches on google has only made things worse for me. It has caused me to have a psychological disposition on believing I am experiencing all the symptoms I read about. I think if I would have gone in on this without reading other people's withdrawal symptoms I may have had less. Nevertheless I am definitely expediting some obvious symptoms. Like insomnia- I can't sleep ATM. Also restlessness and sweating/goosebumps.

It really helps though to tea other posts while you are on withdrawal to feel support and not feel alone. This is a great site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, reading other people's withdrawal stories is only going to make you feel worse. If you can distract yourself from feeling crappy with movies or video games or whatever that might help. It's not easy when you feel so badly though.

I think I remember Romeo saying something about doing a bunch deep knee bends to help with RLS (which is what that jolting, need to lash out feeling is). Sometimes tiring out your muscles will buy you some relief from that for a little while. Probably moving around a lot is the last thing you want to do right now but try it if you get desperate enough.

Hot baths helped me with those symptoms as well. I would make the water as hot as I could stand it and I'd stay in there as long as I could (adding hot water to keep the temperature up) reading something not too challenging and drinking cold water. It seemed like when I was in the hot water I didn't notice my withdrawal so I was in there a LOT.

Somehow nights seem much worse than daytime when you're detoxing. Probably beacause all you want to do is sleep and you can't. Does the gabapentin help at all? If you aren't able to get some sleep soon ask your doctor about some non-narcotic sleep medication. I know there are some that have worked for people here. Getting some rest will really help you feel better and put you in a better frame of mind to deal with the withdrawal.

Stay strong and post here as much as you need to. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey mate. First post here. I'm on day 7 of a suboxone withdrawal. This time around I tapered off from 28mg a day over 3 years.

Please hang in there buddy! It will get better. One thing I had to remind myself is " it will never be easier than now". I feel for you man.

It's worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Google "Doxylamine".

This stuff really helps. Available over the counter here in Australia. It helped me get some sleep, more so than the Valium I had.

Surprised me, as I always dismissed anything not a benzo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Is Doxylamine (sorry about spelling) the ingredient in Unisom here in the states? Some say it's better than Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) for RLS.
Funny how Diary of a Quitter mentioned when they were in hot water they felt less w/d's. I was the same way, very hot showers were my best friend throught my early days of w/d. The night time was worst for me too. Even if you don't feel like getting up in wee hours of the morning, do it and take a hot shower, it will help.
As for reading the horror stories of opiate w/d, you just have to keep in mind everyone is different. And I might sound like a broken record, but positive attitude & outlook are so important. If you think you're gonna feel like shit, you will. Now, I know you DO feel like shit, but try and not think about it. Keep busy, take a walk, blast your stereo with your fave music really high. These forums helped me a lot, to know I wasn't the only one. But take with a grain of salt, not everyone's experience will be yours.
We know what you're going through, it does get better. Every day. Hang in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

GodHelpMe wrote:
I also cannot go on suboxone again to be tapered more. The main reason is the symptoms I've had the last 2 days. I want these to be gone forever.

I have also came to the realization reading a lot on people quoting on searches on google has only made things worse for me. It has caused me to have a psychological disposition on believing I am experiencing all the symptoms I read about. I think if I would have gone in on this without reading other people's withdrawal symptoms I may have had less. Nevertheless I am definitely expediting some obvious symptoms. Like insomnia- I can't sleep ATM. Also restlessness and sweating/goosebumps.

It really helps though to tea other posts while you are on withdrawal to feel support and not feel alone. This is a great site!

YUCK YUCK YUCK and YUCK!!!!! I know you must feel like big dog poop right now.

1 mg is a pretty decent jump, but it could be way, way worse. You could have jumped from 8 mg, like this crazy guy names Romeo on here. Then you would have a much longer road ahead of you.

But listen and read my lips.......YOU ARE GOING TO BE OKAY!!!! If you think about it, what you are mostly scared of it the unknown. Like, 'how long will this last?' 'how will I make it to school?' 'how much worse will this get?'...etc. Considering that you weren't at a terribly high dose, the w/d symptoms are gonna hit you harder much faster and then they will go away faster. What you are feeling right now is how it will most likely be. I doubt it will get much worse. So, this IS it. And you ARE making it. My best friend jumped off 1 mg and I think the day she really turned the corner was day 5 or 6. To be safe, give it a week to expect to have acute symptoms. Start counting down. You are already three days in. Even though you won't feel wonderful after a week, once the really bad stuff starts letting up, you will feel so much better that it will feel pretty good to you.

Get in the bath a lot. Understand that you just are not going to sleep very much and don't let that scare you, because it will not kill you, even though it does suck. You can try Melatonin, which helped me sleep. Try herbal tea for sleeping, which actually does work if you brew it correctly. Use two bags, pour boiling water on it, cover it with a plate and let it brew a good 10 minutes. Doing that is like taking a lose-dose Valium. Believe it will help you, and that will up the chances that it will actually help.

Just do whatever to have to do to count down those hours. I tapered but had some really rough spots. A few nights, I slept on the floor and kinda sat on my knees, hugged a pillow and lay forward. It made my terribly painful legs feel better. A few nights, I slept on my kids trampoline outside, so I could move and even bounce if I needed to. I made my husband lay on my stupid legs, lol. Whatever it takes! I used heating pads, ice packs, and Bengay too. My legs were the worst and I used those three things to distract me from the feeling.

Like you said, it seems like forever, but before you know it, you will be done. Then, you be on here telling other people that they can make it too.

Start your countdown!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you guys. I appreciate your posts.
I noticed taking a bath did help a lot while I was in the tub. But the minute ingot out I felt my body be drenched in sweat again and I was cold. This is cux I have a weird OCD where I hate being wet and getting into cloths while I'm still wet haha weird I know. I must say I do appreciate the feedback though as every minute free I get starting tomorrow after my classes I will try to spend them in a tub until my body can't be pruned no more.
Chicken now that it's day 7/8 for you how are you feeling? I pray you get through this brother. Diary of a quitter thank you do much for you advice. As I mentioned the baths helped. Ladder tipper your post made me smile. Thanks. same goes to you CasIlibreQ you helped. I will probably stay off unisom as I am prescribe hydroxine which is a similar medicine.
Once again sorry for all the down attitude. I am getting there tho. Minute by minute. Just now as I am writing this a strike of heat is going thru my body. It's such a foreign and weird feeling. I wish this on no one. I pray for everyone who has this demon of withdrawal to fight off. May god help me. May god help them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Diary of a Quitter wrote:
Hey Jackie - Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you feel like you don't fit in here, I hope that feeling will pass. Most of us don't bite! Seriously, there are some awesome people here and I hope you find some help and support.

There are lots of taper stories in the Stopping Suboxone section of the forum. The Liquified Taper thread has several members' stories in it, and there is another Sticky Thread (Microgram Taper Super Thread) that has a bunch of links to successful taper stories. (Which reminds me, I need to put more links in there.)

Laddertipper had a successful taper with pretty minimal withdrawal, Romeo jumped with no taper and lived to tell the tale and I know there are a bunch of others but they're not coming to me right now. Another place to look is in the Bupe in the Rearview Mirror section, sometimes people who have successfully gotten off Sub come back and update us there - then you can search for that member's posts and see if they have a taper thread.

Please don't freak yourself out about how hard getting off Sub might be. When I started I thought I'd stay on it forever, but by the time I quit I was more than ready and it wasn't that bad. Sub can be a great tool to help you get your life together and work on your recovery and if you do that I think you'll be suprised at how different your perspective will be when (and if) the time comes to taper off.

Let me know if I can be of any help and again welcome!

Hey Diary,

Thank you for taking the time to comment back to me.
I appreciate your tips on where to read and who to look for.

I know I'm thinking ahead of myself and that I am just getting settled in a dose.
I really admire the people that got off this and can come here and tell about it.

But on the other side of it, when I read threads like "relapse in progress" ok, that was insane.

I also know I cant dwell on it.

Godhelpme, good luck to you, I really am praying you make it through this with minimum discomfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 pm 
[quote="GodHelpMe"] I have also came to the realization reading a lot on people quoting on searches on google has only made things worse for me. It has caused me to have a psychological disposition on believing I am experiencing all the symptoms I read about. I think if I would have gone in on this without reading other people's withdrawal symptoms I may have had less. {End quote.) haha whatever, ill get it

Agreed, The power those stories have during withdrawal is unreal. But once you realize its all in your head, it was kinda a joke for me.

I had a lot of work ahead of me gettin off suboxone the several times i did. you may too, but when you're putting that much work and thought into something.... isn't it important ? You must want it so i say Go for it and dont look back, and yea everyone is totally right, it gets easier and easier.