It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The sweats....tossed and turned all night with the sweats...is this common? what does one do for this? Has anyone tried oil of Sage for it...I just happened to read in a health magazine that oil of sage was to prevent sweating....

I do have more pain than usual, not significant just small achey things I didn't feel on the mscontin....Overall I don't feel great, but okay....not a lot of energy , but hopefully when my body is fully adjusted it will improve....How long does the inducitons aspect take? When will I know when "this is how I will feel on this stuff".....It seems to me this is a very powerful drug.....the side effects are all over the place....

Has anyone noticed a difference in their taste buds.....I usually love my morning coffee, and yesterdy I couldn't even drink it, and today it doesn't taste the same? weird I know...but has anyone else had this affect.

I'm hopeful, that is all I can say....when I'm on the mscontin, I feel like I am cheating on life, like I shouldn't be on such a high dose.....and suboxone was something I was waiting for for so long in Canada to be available...now having it I'm a little leary.....I must say,just being honest at this point I miss the MScontin...because I knew how it made me feel and I could count on getting out and about and doing all I had to do....I hope I will feel the same ont eh suboxone....I'm having a little trouble focusing on the TV...just noticed watching a talk show Iwasn't erally following it...

I guess there are a ton of side effects, most of which will abate......but the sweating is the worst....I sweat all night long...could that be some w/d's happening, or is all the opiate's off my receptors by now, replaced by teh suboxone...

How long does it take the suboxone to fully cover all teh vacated receptors? I know l lots of questions, but this is what I am thinking of.....

thanks to anyone who posts.

Debra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi,

You should not be having this much discomfort on your third day.How much are you taking? The target dose for anyone on Suboxone is the lowest dose that alleviates craving symptoms.It sounds like your dose may be too small. Nobody I know ever had sweats from being comfortable, that is a sign of withdrawal, which is why I say your dose may be too small.
Overall, you should be stabilized after the first week.My main problem during induction was headaches, but they went away after induction.
I know how it feels to miss your drug of choice, but when you look at the big picture- did that drug do more harm than good? Chances are it was not a good thing overall. As far as the Suboxone goes, it is a wonderful treatment drug, when used properly.The drug alone will not repair your life, it takes allot of soul searching, education, and patience.This is not something you can set a time limit for, your brain and body determine how long your physical recovery will be, not your addictive thinking pattern. Many people say that they want to be off of Suboxone ASAP, when in reality, research shows that long term maintenance has the best chance of success.
Please tell us what your dose of Suboxone is currently, and talk to the doctor who prescribed it and tell him about your symptoms, a higher dose may be needed, but I would not do it without discussing it with your prescribing physician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:13 pm 
want2befree,
Sorry you're not feeling well. I am curious as to what your dosage is on your Suboxone. Like "shelwoy" said, it doesn't seem right that you are feeling so bad. I am finishing my first week of Suboxone and I feel pretty good. I have felt
pretty good ever since I started it. I had really bad night sweats and hot and cold flashes with goosebumps all throughout the day along with many other common withdrawal symptoms any time I would go more than 12 hours or so without opiates. I have had none of that since starting Sub. I am taking a total of 16-20mg a day. I have had a few cravings, but
they haven't been super strong. As far as side effects, all I have had was headaches for the first few days and they
resolved when I started spitting out the saliva that was left after the pill dissolved (a suggestion from someone else on this
forum). And I had insomnia for the first two nights. But that's it. You mentioned wanting that "feeling" that the MS Contin gave you. Well Suboxone doesn't do that. I think that's part of the reason it can help us addicts get better! Do I miss that feeling? Yeah at times I kinda do. But I enjoy not HAVING to feel that way to function much more than I miss the feeling the opiates gave me. I am hoping that with time and with the help of this med I will relearn how to cope with life and it's daily challenges without using mood-altering substances. As "shelwoy" said, we cannot expect Suboxone to 'repair our lives'. We have a lot of work to do. For me the suboxone just seems to be giving me an opportunity to work on what I really need to work on. I could never get to that point with abstinance based recovery. My physical symptoms and my cravings were just too strong. I have no idea yet how long I will be on Sub, but I am choosing not to worry about that
yet. I'd rather be on this stuff for a long stretch than go back to the rollercoaster of active addiction. My addiction to pain meds has cost me quite enough!
I hope your day is better. Let us know. We gotta hang in there!
cost me

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thank you for posting
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi

Yesterday I had hoped would be better, but by 11:00 a.m. I was so sick again. Stomache cramps, more than that acatually, this girgling and sloshing around I could hear my stomach. the pains went right up my rib cage, and were affecting my breathing..... I couldn't keep down any drink or food, and even taking the suboxone was hard to do, and when that left over saliva went down into my stomache I thought I would die, just wretched and wretched. This was day 4 and I knew I shouldn't be feeling so badly.....I had to drive an hour and half in this condition to see my doctor....Iiving in rural Nova Scoita is an absolute blessing to even have a doctor here who prescribes sub....at first when he examined me he thought I was still in w/d, but then after taking my vitals etc. he decided I had a bad case of a stomach virus....I didn't have the typical w/d symptoms, goose flesh, dilated pupils. Sitting in his office he said well we can try to up the dose of the suboxone, but if its' the flu what good will that do, (you see he doesn't really know that much about it, as I'm just his 5 or 6th patient on it)......or he gave me the option to go back on the mscontin at a lower dose, get over this flu and once I have myself well, over the flu, try again...and in the meantime keep cutting out a little of the mscontin to get to the lowest dose possible before trying again.....

I had just had a pile fo dental work done, and he had upped my dose to 300mg for almost 2 months....that did not help.....I had originally been on that amount and weaned myself down to 200....at one point I was down to 160mg/day....My problem and this is not an excuse it is real, I am a 55 year old woman, I live alone on a large country property, with good size house, which I heat with wood...I have tons of gardening to do...what I'm saying is my life counts on me being physical....I have tried to sell this house for 4 years because Iknow I can't keep up with it, in the condition I am in....I have had to major injuries/surgeries.....smashed disc in my lower back, and complete rupture of the MCL and ACL ligiments of my right knee....they reattached the MCL by screwing it bck to the bone...Idon't have an ACL. I swim as much as I can to stay strong and fit....this is the time of year for me to get a sale if I am at all able....not many buyers, and I am just so desperate to sell as this place is killing me...I'm going further in debt by staying here as there is no work that I can do....I'm grateful we have in NS and I am eligle for income assistance, but can barely get by on it, can't really, still going in the hole a bit, but I was just offered a great under the table job, maintaining this elderly couples gardens.....I can work as many hours as I want, and I get paid cash...I need this to start buying wood for next winter.... Maybe thisis just an excuse I don't know, but I was just broken down in tears yesterday sitting in his office having ot make a decision...He thought with this flu and hwo knows if it's the swine one or not, they aren't testing unless you are completely bed ridden, which I should have been....but I have had to learn to just do and look after myself....

I did go on the suboxone last summer and was on it for 2 months, I moved and it wasn't available to me in Ontairo, unless daily trips to a clinic and as I was babysitting my newborn grandson I couldn't take him, plus the cost....when I took it then, the induction was nothign like this, so I know it was either the extra 100mg I have been taking or a full blown case of the stomach flu.....So in the end the doctor put me down to 190mg/day with the plan of decreasing 10-15mg/month...once I'm down to 150 or less and feeling well, and have some order around me that I don't have to work everyday to stay on top of my property and house, and extra work we will try again....

Beleive me I felt like a failure....Idon't like this, and to answer someones question, the big picture, I know life is better without any opiates....I ahve to take this very seriously.....with a combination of diligent excercise, because the more I swim, and the harder I swim the better I feel, so my own endorphin factory must still be working.....impecable diet....and get some of my so called freinds to acatually help me in my time of need rather than just say I'll be praying for you.....that really bugs me about Christians....I'm a Christian so I guess Ican say that....prayer is good, but sometimes we need more than that....

I wish you all the best here.....I knowin my heart Suboxone is a good treatmetn plan....and one other thing I want to mention....when Isaid I missed the mscontin....it wasn't the high feeling as I don't really feel high from it....it's more, a feeling it gives me in my legs, like strength, no pain....the last few days, my knee was killing me, and walking my legs felt like tooth picks, and shakey ones at that....I know if I had someone looking after me, and I didn't have to do all the physical work I ahve I would hve weathered the flu, and stuck with it... and we do learn things....I wish Ihad ofknown about spitting out the residual syliva....as that stuff when it hit my stomach, man the wretching it caused...like poison....

all the best
Debra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Free! I have experienced some of the side effects you mentioned above. My induction went smooth. I didn't have a single side effect, but I had the worst head cold imaginable. I snorted the pills I did so some my withdrawl was in the sinus area anyway. That cold made it so much worse I thought I'd never get over it. The night sweats you talked happened to me also, but it was about 4 months into my treatment. They lasted about 2 or 3 weeks then as quick as they showed up they went away. I guess from what I read on this site my experience has been different than most. I have been on the same dose (12 mg.) since I started in Dec. My doctor put me on "one and half" pills a day the very first time I saw him and has left me there ever since. Is that normal? I hear everyone talk about the adjustment and stabilizing peroid. I just wanted to let you know that I too had a few of the more uncommon side effects of the medication that you have. Take care and good luck in your new life.