It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys im on day 11 of taking no subs and still have minor w/d symtoms such as stomach cramps, rls, insomnia. I took a few vicodin to take the edge off for work. Im wondering if i set my detox back? And if so how far? i jumped off at .5mg after 7 months. Also i hate vicodin and stuff my drug of choice were roxis so im not trying to go in a circle either just wondering if i made a mistake? Any help is appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:29 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

johnnybgood wrote:
Hey guys im on day 11 of taking no subs and still have minor w/d symtoms such as stomach cramps, rls, insomnia. I took a few vicodin to take the edge off for work. Im wondering if i set my detox back? And if so how far? i jumped off at .5mg after 7 months. Also i hate vicodin and stuff my drug of choice were roxis so im not trying to go in a circle either just wondering if i made a mistake? Any help is appreciated!

Hi johnntbgood and welcome.
I don't mean to be MEAN, but I just don't understand people who take drugs to get off subs?? Isn't that going backwards?
I think it would be better to just stay on the subs than take a full opiate to try to get off...where will you be in 3 weeks?
3 months?..3 years??? I sure don't know it all and I don't mean to be rude at all, and maybe this works for you, but for me no matter what my doc was the vicodin would be leading me right back to it. I had rather be on sub the rest of my life than taper off and have to use drugs, the relapse and go back to the life i was living. ...at least now I have a life and it is good.

I don't even consider sub a drug...it is just another pill i take in the morning along with my b/p pills, etc.

I do wish you good luck in anything you do, however, and please report back and let us know how you are doing.

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

first off, i'm not expert. I was on suboxone for a couple years and before that I took vicodin off and on. So take this advice with a grain of salt.

well slipper, vicodin is not as strong as suboxone, not even close in my opinion. So I can see why he got the idea to take vicodin to take the edge off.

But like slipper said, you need to be very careful - taking vicodin is just going to fuel mental and physical addiction and it will set you back in terms of withdrawal most likely. will it set you back as much as taking .5 suboxone? I dont know, it depends how much vicodin you took and why you took it.

Couldnt you goto the doctor and get something safer than Vicodin to help you get through your detox withdrawals? Something that wont set you back in terms of physical and mental withdrawal. Im sure people on this board can recommend something.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey thanks for the response guys. my doc actually said to take some vics for the first couple days to get through the worst of the withdrawls. its a short acting opiod so it kinda kicks the bupe off your receptors. It really did help through the first couple days when i really felt like shit. I think the only con is having the willpower to stop once you started for some people...but like i said i dont like vicodin nor do i have a weak mind. Im still trying to figure out if its setting me back though i cant tell because i woke up today and felt a bit better after taking 2 the day before. its kinda weird. Our initial thoughts were that you can take vicodin or something just to get through the long sub wd but not get hooked on the vic....like i said its not for someone with a weak mind. I do consider sub a drug just like how you dont understand me taking vicodin or using an unorthodox method to get through this, i didnt want to be chained to anything anymore i wanna wake up and need nothing to feel good. Suboxone is a ball and chain in my opinion and kept me lazy,and lethargic which kept me from setting out to conquer my life goals. im only 21 btw. and i am doing the clonidine and vitamin regiment w/ working out...but still taking forever for this to be over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would think that ativan or some other benzo would be much more helpful. If your doctor is willing to give you subs, s/he's probably also willing to consider a 15-day supply of muscle relaxors, right? Flexeril is also a possibility, or seroquel. Trazadone. There are many, many alternatives to vicodin. An addict is an addict, but I do think that if your drug of choice has always been opiates, those are gonna be harder to resist than a benzo or a sleeping pill.

If you want to stop living the life of an addict, you have to stop thinking like an addict. The discomfort will go away. Treating it with the same poison that caused the problem is kind of insane, if you think about it logically.

I know it's harder if you're working through a kick, and I'm not judging, since I'm just in the same boat as you are. Just think there are better and honestly more effective comfort medications for kicking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

yeah i totally understand where your coming from...but i have a strong will and definitly will not become a habitual user again. my drug of choice was snorting oxys and thats it nothing else. i detoxed my own way and it worked it may not for you but it did for me. im just feeling some lingering after effects. your kinda off the topic and my original question. i do hav a bunch of benzos and seroquel but im not tryna knock myself out im trying to function normally. i have a job as a chef cant be walking around in wd or stuck on stupid w/benzos. thanks though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey johnny,

IMO, if you took enough Vicodin and got high, you certainly set your wd back. If you took just enough Vicodin to take the edge off, as you said you did, you didn't necessarily go backwards, but you certainly didn't go forward either. I think (?) what you did was just put your wd on hold. When I quit Suboxone, I took some Vicodin during the first few days and as far as I can tell, it just prolonged the misery.

With today being day 11, your wd should have peaked by now and you should be able to discontinue the Vicodin. The fact that you were on a pretty low dose of Suboxone when you jumped should mean that your wd shouldn't be too intense anyway.

I understand you have a very strong will and that's great. I believe there's a lot to be said for having strong will power when facing life without drugs, but in my experience, it wasn't enough. Have you given any thoughts to some kind of recovery?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks romeo...i havent really given it to much thought actually. im not really one for therapy or what not. i think your totally right about pausing my wd though...its not unbearable just very long and irriatating. i was curious to see if anyone else did what i did. im sure its a horrible idea for most addicts. i just hoped i didnt set myself back to day 1 ya know? and i did feel better this morning and discontinued the vicodin...so its kind of weird really. im curious to understand how it effects your body? i know detox frees your receptors so the vic may have paused the healing? idk im just trying to find out as much info as possible and get some help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was never a pill taker really, so don't know how strong a Vicodin is to be honest. Don't even think we have Vicodin here, or if it is it's called something else.

But yeah how much it sets back depends on a lot of things like strength of the opioid, dose, stage of withdrawal. The worst time, when it'd set back the most, would be when withdrawal is peaking. Because then you're basically just buying a day of relief, only to have to pay it back in a day or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

HI,

I am taking Ativan everyday because I am in so much pain. I am on day 12 from subs withdrawal of 16 mg, and prior to the subs, I was on 5 years of Opana, one of the worst drugs to get off of. I have an underlying pain condition and had major neck surgery 2 years ago.

If you need more help, I would take a benzo bc it affects different receptors and allows your body to build up its own endorphins.
Anna