It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is day 3 on Sub and I am thrilled to say I have no urges to use the pills, no sweats, body aches or irritability. BUT I have a booming headache :cry: Is this a normal side effect and will it ever go away? Can I take a Tylenol or Advil? I'm still smoking like a fiend, up to 2 packs a day now :shock: I'm not complaining by any means...it's been three days and no pills!! :) :mrgreen: :P and that is a miracle!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I will repeat what I said in your first thread.. I firmly believe your dose is too high. Headaches are usually the first and most prominent result of too much bupe. I don't think you need to be taking as much as you are, but this is just my opinion, someone who was on the stuff for 6 years. I know the headache you speak of all to well.

There are two scenarios here:

1) Lower your dose a bit to an amount that will satisfy your needs comfortably without negative effects

(or)

2) Continue the dose you're on, power through the negative effects, and raise your tolerance

IMO, the first scenario is the better one.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tinydancer is giving you some great advice.

The only time I experienced headaches while on Suboxone is when I was taking too much. The headaches aren't your garden variety headache, they're like you said, booming. Also, the fact that you're smoking like a chimney, to me, is a dead giveaway that you're on too high of a dose. Try lowering your dose.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One thing I've noticed in my own self during Suboxone treatment is this...sometimes...especially on days where I'm able to involve myself in something (like for example, I had to rebuild my carburetor on my old "toy" pickup the other day...and it was a pretty intensive job which took most of the day to do...adding in the time it took to set the carb once I mounted it back on the 302 ..) I have noticed that when I get deep into something --- I'll simply forget to eat. Not like, I'm spaced out and can't think straight...I'm straight as a board...but I feel the hunger, and...like when working on the carb, I would say to myself "i'll go eat when I get that diaphragm installed".....then something else would put it off..
I wound up skipping lunch and dinner...then having a headache from the hunger that night before bed...
Something about not eating, and having a hunger headache...it is a BASTARD of a headache. Normally, 28 days a month..I don't have any type of headache at all. But those other 2 days I might have one, and holy geez...it's killer. So, when I'm taking the same amount of Suboxone for the entire 30 day period, and I don't have a headache but for 2 days of that time..if it's even 2 days per month (not two days together....)...I know that it's not the meds. It's the dumbass in me skipping meals and not forcing myself to sit down and eat.
Other times, I try to grab a bite on the go, wind up not eating enough...but still keep going anyway...which brings it on regardless...
normally when i get these, I just go on to bed and take a nap. 75% of the time, I wake up with the headache, but it's not near as bad...but I just give up when they strike and call it a day.
I'm sure the Sub plays a part in them being as intense as they are...or maybe it doesn't...but I know it's because once I get involved in something, I don't let anything else interfere and I get way too focused on completion. Don't get me wrong, I don't neglect my one year-old or do stupid things like forget to turn off the curling iron (even though I'm a guy, and I have no hair)....but I just make myself stay so busy that I tell myself I can't stop to eat.

has your appetite been affected since you've been on Subs? make sure you're eating enough, and that you're getting enough of what you should in a healthy-way of speaking...could help and work wonders...but even still, I would try lowering your dose and see how that helps. you'd be surprised.

Maybe one morning you wake up..only set-out 1 1/2 suboxone for that day...and make yourself stretch that for the whole day. Do that for a couple days and see if you still encounter the headaches.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject: lowering dose
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After feeling like I did on day one, I lowered my dose from 8mg x 2 to 4 mg x 2...still had the headaches. So day three I took 4 mg in the am and nothing in the pm. I am still getting the headaches so I am thinking something in the Sub is giving me the headaches.

tinydancer wrote:
I will repeat what I said in your first thread.. I firmly believe your dose is too high. Headaches are usually the first and most prominent result of too much bupe. I don't think you need to be taking as much as you are, but this is just my opinion, someone who was on the stuff for 6 years. I know the headache you speak of all to well.

There are two scenarios here:

1) Lower your dose a bit to an amount that will satisfy your needs comfortably without negative effects

(or)

2) Continue the dose you're on, power through the negative effects, and raise your tolerance

IMO, the first scenario is the better one.

Good luck!

Post subject: This makes sense
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think you may be right. I havent really been eating much at all. Besides the headaches I have been feeling pretty good and as a result have been keeping myself very busy, not really making eating a priority. I am going to make sure I eat three meals today and see if this helps. Thank you for the advice.

jonathanm1978 wrote:
One thing I've noticed in my own self during Suboxone treatment is this...sometimes...especially on days where I'm able to involve myself in something (like for example, I had to rebuild my carburetor on my old "toy" pickup the other day...and it was a pretty intensive job which took most of the day to do...adding in the time it took to set the carb once I mounted it back on the 302 ..) I have noticed that when I get deep into something --- I'll simply forget to eat. Not like, I'm spaced out and can't think straight...I'm straight as a board...but I feel the hunger, and...like when working on the carb, I would say to myself "i'll go eat when I get that diaphragm installed".....then something else would put it off..
I wound up skipping lunch and dinner...then having a headache from the hunger that night before bed...
Something about not eating, and having a hunger headache...it is a BASTARD of a headache. Normally, 28 days a month..I don't have any type of headache at all. But those other 2 days I might have one, and holy geez...it's killer. So, when I'm taking the same amount of Suboxone for the entire 30 day period, and I don't have a headache but for 2 days of that time..if it's even 2 days per month (not two days together....)...I know that it's not the meds. It's the dumbass in me skipping meals and not forcing myself to sit down and eat.
Other times, I try to grab a bite on the go, wind up not eating enough...but still keep going anyway...which brings it on regardless...
normally when i get these, I just go on to bed and take a nap. 75% of the time, I wake up with the headache, but it's not near as bad...but I just give up when they strike and call it a day.
I'm sure the Sub plays a part in them being as intense as they are...or maybe it doesn't...but I know it's because once I get involved in something, I don't let anything else interfere and I get way too focused on completion. Don't get me wrong, I don't neglect my one year-old or do stupid things like forget to turn off the curling iron (even though I'm a guy, and I have no hair)....but I just make myself stay so busy that I tell myself I can't stop to eat.

has your appetite been affected since you've been on Subs? make sure you're eating enough, and that you're getting enough of what you should in a healthy-way of speaking...could help and work wonders...but even still, I would try lowering your dose and see how that helps. you'd be surprised.

Maybe one morning you wake up..only set-out 1 1/2 suboxone for that day...and make yourself stretch that for the whole day. Do that for a couple days and see if you still encounter the headaches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have gotten a headache or two since I started sub a few months ago. I just take an asprin (they work better than tyl or advil for headaches for me). But I do agree w/ the other piece of advice - be sure to eat. I try to always eat bfast and take a multi vitamin before I even brush my teeth or take my sub. It def makes a difference in my day!
Stay strong, and let me know if you need any support! It will get better, I am sure, as your body adjusts. Also, good job and smart thinking on the lowering of your dose. No reason to take more than necessary to ward off your cravings and WDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Drinking coffee helps too. The caffeine. Hope you get used to the medicine. I think that I had a headache when I first started taking Suboxone at 8mg. After a while, it did stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Chain smoking and not eating are both signs of too high of a dose as well. You may have lowered your dose over the last couple days, but you won't see the effects start to settle for a few days. If you have a look at all the other threads where people induced too high, or were suboxone intolerant, they had negative effects up to several days because of the long half life. It takes a little while for those symptoms to wear off once you've over done it. You'll even out like other's have said but just keep in mind that suboxone is really strong and a lower dose will do you just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

WingsOfAnAngel wrote:
Today is day 3 on Sub and I am thrilled to say I have no urges to use the pills, no sweats, body aches or irritability. BUT I have a booming headache :cry: Is this a normal side effect and will it ever go away? Can I take a Tylenol or Advil? I'm still smoking like a fiend, up to 2 packs a day now :shock: I'm not complaining by any means...it's been three days and no pills!! :) :mrgreen: :P and that is a miracle!!

Hiya,
How are you feeling now? I don't remember headaches on suboxone. I just felt normal thats it. My cravings became less intense. If the headaches continues, please go to your doctor n maybe check to see if you're on the right dose.

Hugs,
Evey xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:47 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

After reading all the other replies PLEASE DO
NO LOWER YOUR DOSE WITHOUT SEEING YOUR DOCTOR N BEING UNDER THEIR SUPERVISION. You need to see your doctor for him/her to help you, ok xxx