It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Day 3 on suboxone
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:30 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am taking suboxone to get through the wd of an opiate addiction that has lasted several years. I was on sub once before for about 7 months then quit, ended up relapsing, etc, etc.

My question is:
I have taken 8mg of sub a day for 3 days and wish to only use it for the week of WD i usually experience when trying to quit OC's Cold turkey. What can I expect if I stop taking the subs after 5 or 6 days? I plan on taking as little as possible for the next three days, then stop all together.

What should I expect from WD standpoint?

I am in a twelve step program and know the psychological part is much more powerful than the physical. I am simply interested in how I should expect to feel or if someone else can share a similar experience.

THanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi doc0303 and welcome to the forum. Before I answer your question I feel compelled to offer some unsolicited advice. You said you had a several years long addiction but only want to use suboxone for several days. Dr. Junig has shared with us several times that using suboxone short term (for less than six months or even a year) has an extremely high rate of relapse, almost 100%. Please consider that you spent YEARS building up bad and self destructive habits that you can't change overnight. Suboxone gives us time to correct those.

OK, I'm done with that.

Now, as for what kind of withdrawals you'll have from taking sub for 5-6 days....Think of it this way, you won't be withdrawing off of suboxone, you'll still be withdrawing off the other opiates you are addicted to. An opiate is an opiate is an opiate. Suboxone is used to taper off regular opiates because for us addicts, it's damn near impossible for us to taper off them - otherwise we would, right? So if you plan on using sub for detox only, just drop your dose every day or two until you get down to nothing. I can't give you specifics because everyone is different.

I hope this helps. I wish you luck on your taper and please let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: hmmm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think thats a bad idea...

From the information I've gathered online, It is not the drug itself that determines your WD symptoms. Rather, It is the duration of the half-life. The half-life determines how long these opiate chemicals latch on to the 3 key opiate receptors. Opiate addicts are constantly fueling these 3 receptors with opiates, and once the addict stops, and the receptors have no more fuel, then BOOM!!! Withdrawal!

So you see, It doesnt matter which fuel your feeding these receptors. For example, imagine a truck that can run off of regular gas and diesal. It doesnt matter which fuel you use, because either way, when the fuel tank hits empty, your shit out of luck...

I'm not a doctor, but this is my opinion. Best of luck!