It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Day 6 of Suboxone detox
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm on day 6 and I still have some nausea, depression and aches and pains. Unfortunately, my employers are assholes about the fact that I'm on a med taper (they call it a "personal choice"), so I've had to return to work...which is a bitch! Yesterday was only day 5 and I was really feeling poorly...but I made it. To add insult to injury, day 5 was a Monday and my car was broken into that morning. Talk about feeling like you just hit bottom!

Anyway, this has been very difficult, and I could not have done it had I not had major side effects from the subs. I've discussed that in another post and won't here. The point being, you've got to have a major conviction behind you to do this because it's tough. I've had my moments where I wanted to give up and take some of the (massive amounts) of subs I have leftover to ease the pain. But I can't, because it resets the process again.

I know I'm entering a period of my life that will be a challenge. I'm glad I have good support in AA and I'm looking for a new therapist and psychiatrist (the sub doctor didn't take insurance). If I wasn't already on antidepressants and 11 yrs sober from alcohol, I would have gone to rehab to do this, to be completely honest. Unless you have a good base, and a strong conviction, you may want to consider detoxing from subs in a facility.

J

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:22 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It definitely depends on how you taper. I came off subs 2 months ago and while it was hard sometimes, it definitely wasn't unbearable. I was on a low dose though for a while. It took a few weeks for all the symptoms to subside. After 2 weeks it's mainly the lethargy and sleeplessness you have to deal with. Good luck. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

How many mgs were you on when you jumped?
How long were you on subs?
Did you do a long taper or short taper?

I'm curious because I'm currently doing a taper from 8mg, started in February and now I'm at 2.5 mg I'm wondering if i should slow my taper down a bit to avoid having to go to a rehab. Like you, I don't have the luxury of taking time off work :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi J, I am wondering the same questions about your taper. As for me, I am on a very slow taper, been on for 3+ years and finally down to 1 mg. I started at 8mg. Funny thing, even through the loss of my mother 9 months ago, I never went back up, but just kept it slow, as in I stayed at 2 mg for 10 months. I cut to 1 mg 7 weeks ago from the two. Honestly, that drop was too big for me. Its been a tough 7 weeks, I think I finally understand the half life of suboxone because it took two weeks to feel any symptoms. I thought I had gotten off easy, as every decrease had been painless cept for this one. I was definitely very lethargic, watching the dawn every morning, rls, running nose, etc. Except for the loss of sleep, the other symptoms were just an annoyance and not even close to if I had cut my pills in half back in the day. I slept through the night last night, it was amazing, and everything else is getting better too. Like I said, it has taken 7 weeks to adjust from 2 to 1 mg. Hang in there buddy, you've got this. Your boss sounds like a real tool....do you really love that job? Lol, I know quitting our jobs aren't really an option, but it would be nice if it was! Good luck! I'm new to the forum, but if I can help in any way, please let me know