It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 pm 
Hi everyone. Brand new to the forum, so i'll make this quick. Just a few questions for the people out there who have gotten off suboxone and managed to stay off....

How long did it take for you to start feeling normal again after stopping? aka.... where you were looking foward to doing normal things in life..

When did you start having a normal night of sleep consistantly?

Thank you so much everyone. Good luck to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Im on like day 40 and sleep is slowly coming back but still hard as hell to fall asleep. Still not back to normal, but maybe around 75%. I think its diff for everyone but what I keep hearing and reading is 90 days things should be back to normal. But everyone is different so it vould be sooner or longer. What im doing is gauging how I feel week by week not day by day. Also working out and doing cardio always makes me feel so muvh better. Keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have heard from some that it takes a month per year that you were on suboxone. ie: if on for 5 years, expect 5 months to be normal.

I do not know if this is true or merely a myth.

The first month is the hardest. And just like Ozzy said, exercise is a must! Healthy eating, and plenty of vitamin supplements.

I think the worst part is behind you though and congrats on getting off it :D

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It depends what you mean by "normal"...

In the periods when I went abstinent - up to 13 months before relapse - honestly if I were to wait until a moment when I felt "normal" I woulda been waiting for the rest of my life. Recovery is a life long process, and opioid addiction induces lasting changes in the brain that take a while to normalise. PAWS doesn't start and finish like acute withdrawal. Rather it slowly fades away over months and years.

How quickly people bounce back has a lot to do with age. Younger people bounce back a lot quicker. Also it depends on how active you are. The more you exercise now, the quicker you will bounce back.

That being said roughly (these figures are generous) Being able to function physically with a degree of confidence - 2-3 weeks (for me). Sleeping, basic physical functioning etc I'd give yourself a good 2-3 months. Emotional regulation, anxiety ... reassess how you're going at 18 months clean.

With long half life opioids like Suboxone and methadone it can take 18 months for the proteins responsible for our natural endorphins to recover to "normal" levels. Endorphins are our body's natural opioids / painkillers. So over the next number of months you will slowly become less sensitive to pain stimulii, cold / hot differences etc ... and slowly the blissful feeling of post-sex, post-chocolate will return.

Recovery is a long process, and you gotta be in it for life ... I really do hope you come back here in 1 to 2 years and stick it up all the doubters, myself included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think this latest response is very good and quite accurate but I will throw in my limited experience for good measure.

I jumped off 12mg and was able to work a full day within a few weeks. I actually never took any time off but the first few weeks were hard to finish each day.

At 3 months my sleep was starting to return a little but I spent a lot of time awake and frustrated. As for the emotional part, that was day by day but overall I would say it had improved marginally. I suspect if I hadn't gone back on the sub it would have taken at least a year to get back to "normal". But when you feel emotionally down it is very hard to pick yourself up and keep moving.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TJ, it's kinda funny how you mentioned that our response to hot and cold would eventually return to normal and that it may take up to 18 months to correct.

My internal thermostat has been buggered up since getting off Suboxone, I honestly came to the conclusion a few months back that it was just something I was going to have to live with, but then about a week ago I noticed a marked improvement in that area. Summer has finally hit where we live and it's HOT, it's been 90 plus degrees for several days and I'm actually able to go outside and get some things done without sweating like a maniac. My internal thermostat is still not completely right, but it did get better and I'm pleasantly surprised by it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:45 pm 
Just a kind warm thank you to all. I am day 47 no suboxone and feel bleh still. No sleep. I mean , i have to wake up for work at 5am, and i usually wake up at like 3 and cant go back to sleep. Plus , i cant fall asleep till like midnight . I'm lucky to get 3 straight uninterrupted hours each night. I am currently taking a week whole body cleanse. There are so many pills in the kit, so i dont know....but i heard it helps get toxins out.

RLS is slightly lingering. My energy is way down. I am starting to excersize finally. Although, i am in pathetic shape. I used to be a cardio machine. Now, i can barely jog a couple miles.But, i must must stay positive. Deep down inside, I know i am going to feel normal again and be happy. This is what continues to drive me towards the right path.

I would love it if i am helping anyone by typing my account of sucess's/failures/etc... This makes me think that i would love to be an addiction counslor/ rehab tech as a career. I just turned 25, so i could do that if i wanted. Anyone out there work in a rehab? Thanks