It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Day 2 on Sub's
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok, I need some direction here. I'm coming off a moderate Norco addiction. I've had a bunch of surgeries and complications from the surgeries that I've been taking Norco on and off since 2009 but everyday since December 2011. Anyways, As I began to feel better I tried to quit cold turkey but my body said WRONG!

I made an appointment with a pain management doctor to see if he could get me off of my 10-15 Norco a day habit. I tried to ride it out on my own but after 2 weeks I saw no end in sight. I have RLS to begin with but add withdrawal RLS to the equation and my legs felt like there was a meat grinder inside. I couldn't get into to see a pain doctor for 3 weeks but they called my family doctor and had him write me for 120 more Norco in the meantime. I still gobbled them up pretty fast but still had a few left when I arrived for my first visit with the pain doctor.

Anyways, He recommended Suboxone but he couldn't start me on it until I'd had blood work done and had seen their psychologist. So he gave me more Norco to tide me over.

Yesterday was Day 1 and I'm confused. I showed up in the office for the transfer in pretty rough shape. Everything hurt. I was roughly 36 hours into WD's and none too happy. The doctor brought in 10 - 2mg/.5mg sub tabs. He gave me one and came back 20 mins later and I didn't feel any better. (he wasn't sure if i was in WD's, so he didn't want to make it worse) I asked him for 2 more tabs and within 3 mins I felt 1000% better. He gave me the remaining 7 tabs to take home. I took another when I got out to my car and went home. He advised me that I could take up to 4 more tabs later in the day and then be back in his office in the morning where he would monitor me and if all was good he would prescribe 60-8mg strips.

Once at home yesterday I felt great. I did a bunch of yard work and housework. Later on in the day, I threw up 4 times, was a little jittery and could not sleep last night at all. I did not take anymore sub's yesterday. Just the 8mg's.

This morning I took 1-2mg tab and drove to his office. He said I seemed a little wired ( i was ) but my vitals were fine and he sent me on my way with the 60 - 8mg film. I took a 1/2 of a 2mg tab late this afternoon. I haven't thrown up but there were a few dry heaves. I'm less shaky but I've only taken 2.5 mg's today. I have zero withdrawl symptoms. I don't like the jittery feeling but i'm not craving Norco's either. I'm done with them.

I still haven't slept but will take some ambien later. I guess my question is if i just take the minimal amount of suboxone to keep the WD's at bay am I OK? I've researched to heck out of Suboxone and for every good thing said there is a bad one and I'm scared as hell of becoming dependent on another drug. I love the fact that the medicine works so fast that if the WD's do catch up to me its a 5 minute problem. I just want to be clean and if I can get there without being addicted to something else would be great. Any opinions would be cool. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I am hoping that someone with a lot more knowledge than me will jump in here and give you more information than I can. But in the meantime, I will tell you what I know from experience.

My addiction was to hydros as well as percs. Mostly hydros though. I am currently on suboxone 16mgs daily. I take 8mg in the am and 8 mg in the pm. When I first started taking suboxone, I had the same side effects you did. I think I may have posted about it on here, though I can't remember for sure. I had a headache that would not go away. The fact that I was throwing up on top of it, didn't help matters any. Fortunately this only lasted for the first week-week and a half. So, that part should get better.

The goal, as I understand it, with suboxone, is to take the lowest dose possible to not only keep the withdrawal at bay, but to also alleviate cravings. If you have3 achieved this at 8mg, than I would suggest staying there.

You sound like you aren't exactly sure about how long you want to stay on it, if I read your post right. I can't tell you what to do, I can only tell you what my plan is and why. I feel like I was fooled into not trying suboxone for 2 years because of all of the negative information about it, out there on the internet. All I can remember thinking, is that the withdrawals are going to be 1000x worse than my hydro withdrawals. But that isn't true at all.

Everyone is different and every single body has a different reaction to ALL medications. I do believe that if suboxone is taken correctly, that when you decide to stop taking it, it shouldn't be too hard. As long as you taper your dose in the proper way, and don't do it too fast. I also believe that our success in doing this weighs heavily on what we are doing besides taking suboxone for our recovery. We need to work a program. Wether it is aa/na, smartrecovery, therapy, or what, some kind of program needs to be in place in order for success. This is just my opinion.

I have been on sub for almost three months. If I have to be on it for the rest of my life, I am open to that. If I am ready to stop taking it in one year, I am open to that as well. I don't think that being on suboxone is the worst thing in the world. If suboxone keeps me from abusing prescription medication for the rest of my life, as well as handling my pain issues, than I will take it for the rest of my life.

The decision is yours. I think you need to gather as much information as you possibly can to make an educated decision. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery and hang in there! More people will come along, especially in the evening, to give you there opinions and knowledge of this program.

Have a great day, and congrats on your decision to quit opiates!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks @Goinstrong.

I think for me the 8mg dose on day 1 was too high. It gave me tons of energy, yes and my wd's were gone but I can feel my breathing ( much like sitting in hospital with morphine drip), its difficult to sleep and perhaps what I disliked the most is the half life of suboxone is long and if you don't like how you feel you need to ride it out for a long time.

All that being said, I took 2.5mg yesterday and 2mg so far today and I feel much better about the drug. The side effects are much less noticeable and I still reap the benefits of zero cravings or wd's.