It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Day one
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone, I hope I can get answers soon as I am out of my mind right now with sickness and craving.

I have a 80-100mg oxy habit with alcohol addition as well. Most recently I ran out of oxy very soon info my script and got so desperate I turned to "H". My "H" habit quickly rised to 10 bags a day for a little over a week and has been stedy up to 48hrs ago.

Recently I was given 3 8mg generic Subs with the infent of getting past withdrawals and then going to a 12 step program with a sponsor and support to follow up on a contented sober recovery.

My question is how much and how do I take these things and if I do does anyone on here feel it has a chance of working.

Post subject: Re: Day one
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:34 pm 

Hey Rumple welcome to the forum!

I too had a high oxycodone habit before I started suboxone treatment. But I didn't take just a few to try to get past the withdrawal, so honestly I can't for sure tell u how that's gonna work out. I could guess and tell ya my opinion, but it may or may not be exactly correct. Imo I don't think three tablets are enough to escape withdrawal, it'll delay it but if u take one a day for three days ur withdrawal will still be there. My advice would be to split up ur doses. U could take 4mg a day or less and stretch it out that way. That could get u through some withdrawal I'd think. Ur cravings are still gonna be there though when u stop the suboxone and that was always my hardest part. Would u consider going to a Dr that prescribes sub and start treatment that way? If not, split up the doses to make it last as long as ya can.

Wait about 24-36 hrs after ur last opiate, u need to be in withdrawal before u take the sub. If u don't wait long enough, you'll go into precipitated withdrawal and that's not fun and will defeat the purpose of why ur taking it in the first place. I wish I could be more helpful and I wanted someone with a better answer to come along first, but I didn't want to leave ya unanswered. I think it's awesome that ur ready to change ur life. I remember being where ur at and I just wanted out and wanted peace in my life. Good luck and someone else who's maybe more familiar with a very short taper will be along soon. Hang in there!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From my perspective I don't see much value in the buprenorphine you've been given. Up until 6-8 years ago, buprenorphine or Suboxone was used to 'help get off opioids'. People who get Suboxone for a few days during detox, and then stop everything. Maybe the buprenorphine helped reduce the severity of withdrawal... or maybe it didn't. I never saw clinical studies claiming that buprenorphine reduced the intensity of withdrawal symptoms. For whatever reason, the use of Suboxone or buprenorphine for detox fell out of favor. Now, buprenorphine is almost exclusively used for long-term (greater than one year) treatment for opioid dependence.

Taking buprenorphine will only delay the inevitable. Your initial withdrawal MAY be softened a bit if you go from H to buprenorphine. But in most cases, the buprenorphine will only delay the inevitable. At some point either your tolerance must go to zero, in the case of 'abstinent recovery'... or your tolerance must be reduced to that of a person on buprenorphine, which would require daily use of a buprenorphine product.

If you go the route of buprenorphine, I encourage you to find a doc and take a 'legitimate' path.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you both for your feedback. I know subs are meant for long term use but I am not sure I am ready to go on something long term.

I have another question. If I do find a doctor and go on subs long term what happens when I need to have a surgery (which I do). Will much needed pain medication work?

In any case I will explain yesterday's introduction. I did 1mg every 2 hour's for 4 hours, total 4mg. I felt much better but still I was craving with mild WD's. I then took 2mg at once and felt great. Today I started with 2mg and will do 2mg more in 30min. I am going to see if I can manage with just 2mg. Suboxon may be designed for long term use but so far has made at least one day tolerable. I will continue to taper until I am out but so far it helped my WD's. Thanks to this site I was able to figure out how to use these things safely and so far no opioids for 3 days now.

I will keep posting until my Subs are gone but for now I am off to a noon 12 step meeting. For me that is my long term medicine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:15 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

So you are no longer able to fill your Oxy script? I am a little confused here.
As far as the Subs. You have some withdraw because your receptors are screaming for what they are used to having.
The Subs are gonna start working real good about the time you run out. Go get more Subs. Go to a Dr. if possible. It's your future
Good luck
Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:29 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I can refill my oxy script on the first of the month but I don't want to. If I can get past the WD"s then I am going to try and get into an IOP (intensive outpatient program) and go to 12 step meetings every day. I just have to get feeling right so I don't relapse before I can get spirituality grounded.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:44 pm 

Rumple,

I like the sound of your plan of recovery. Get off all of it via a detox/rehab facility and go to a 12 step program.

If you do end up on Suboxone long term have no worries, we have lots of threads here explaining how to receive proper pain management while on the mend. There is even a special section about it so check it out and your questions will be answered.

Welcome to the forum!

rule