It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been off suboxone for 25 days now and still have insomnia and no energy. I see many people mention doctors prescribing anxiety and/or sleeping pills to help them transition comfortably through withdrawals. First, I want to say that I am not saying one should not do that... I think everyone has to make their own decisions about how to best deal with their symptoms and achieve their goal... My question is what is someone to do who is active in AA/NA and therefore NOT supposed to take Rx meds like benzodiazepines or tranquilizers?? Can anyone tell me who has dealt with the insomnia, RLS, etc without Rx meds??? I am currently using Valerian Root, Melatonin, and OTC hylands RLS and leg cramp medicines but would welcome any suggestions. I can't keep going much longer without relief. Work full time and have a family to care for. Must get sleep and regain motivation!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:30 pm 

Hello TiredMom,
I really have zero experience with the wd simptoms your dealing with. I did want to weclome you and hopefully
some one who has felt the stopping experience will come here and give you a pointer or two.
Have you been on suboxone loug? Im guessing with your involvement in 12 step fellowships you have
lots of support there? Sponsor and such.
I can tell you that wkth 25 days in your looking at another few weeks till normalcy comes.
Around the 10th to 12 th week you should be feel much better. I understand that sounds like a loug time
and I think its good your staying away from the benzos too. The OTC things can work for you. Wd is just plain hard.

Welcome again and keep reading some of these stopping threads, good information. ..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

New to this site, but not new to addiction, rehab, recovery, or 12 step programs. I have worked the steps, and sponsored a couple people. Some AA groups are hard core against even OTC meds, but a buddy of mine (who is a Big Book Thumper), was in a car wreck with his wife (they're both in AA/NA). His wife broke her leg, she had to take opiate pain meds for 4 weeks, 1-2 5mg vicodin every 4-6 hours was how the doctor prescribed. She had 15 years clean time, and the consensus of her group was to let her husband hold on and administer the meds, which they all pretty much agreed she should take due to the circumstances. The consensus of the AA group was that her motives for taking the medication were not to "get high", but for actual pain relief. She was taking the advice of a board certified, professional doctor, and she told her doctor she was in recovery, he understood, but recommended she take the meds. An LCDC friend of mine, who has 18 years clean and sober, also agreed that she should take the meds. His sticking point was that her motivation/motives behind taking the opiate medication was for correctly using it for what it was intended for- too reduce the pain of a broken leg. No one in her AA/NA groups held it against her, her NA sponsor said she could take them without it "counting against her" if you know what I mean. She did weigh the risk of her sobriety to the pain, and did worry she would start "craving" more, but with the support of her husband, and her groups, she made it through fine. Again, I think every AA group is different in how they handle this, but I have two "old-timers" with 15+ years agreeing that she should follow the doctor's orders.

I'm not advocating using benzos, because as a recovering addict, I understand how tempting and easy it is to fall back into relapse, but you need your sleep, otherwise the anger might creep up on you, and that's a trigger for some people as well. Just food for thought, hoped I helped.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi I hope this helps you, but as stated before that everybody is different and has a different path to recovery. However I did get off suboxone for a year and did take Xanax and Seroquel while the w/d for sleep and anxiety but let me tell you I wish I almost didn't. I wish that because they both are almost as bad stopping as suboxone. My advice is if your 25+ days off your light at the end of the tunnel is very near and I wouldn't recommend taking anything at this point if you have made it this far. I got back on to suboxone due to migraines and relapse and still have the prescriptions for the whole ordeal over again but I feel your pain. In my eyes I would only use those as a 25 day crutch and you have made it past that so congrats. Hang in there it only gets better. I can relate its a lot to handle with full time plus family but you need to focus on yourself first and that will take care of the rest. Try taking 5-10 minutes each day and think about all the positives and take time for yourself to meditate it will help with the mental strains. Good luck and a positive thoughts your way

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI there!
Thought i would add in my experience too with benzos. The first time i tapered completely off Suboxone. I too used Benzos to ease the withdraw, and i too wish I Had NOT taken ANY benzos.

Being the addict that I am, I became addicted to benzos and had to go to rehab to get off of them. and this was all stemming from the desire to get off Suboxone.

There are other "non-addicting" meds that you can be prescribed to help. I take Propranolol a beta blocker to help with my anxiety/sleep.

Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you so much to those who responded! I am very glad I found this forum it helps so much to read what others experiences have been. I think (for me) it makes sense to wait it out... I must be through the worst now, right?!?! And for anyone who has made the decision to stop subs- I jumped at 16mg/day cold turkey after 3 years at that level- which I absolutely do NOT recommend- but I survived though there were times I didn't think I would. I hope that knowing that will help those who may be struggling in the first few days off subs!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Maybe I should've mentioned that I also have major clinical depression and do take 2 antidepressants to deal with that. I also suffer from migraines and seeking relief for the headaches is what opened my portal to full blown opiate addiction. I am worried about this too as I go through withdrawal as I see now that suboxone helped keep the migraines at bay. I've had a headache for 3 days and that only causes my depression to get worse. It's a vicious cycle- depression/migraines/depression! Anyone with advice on dealing with chronic intractable migraines while sober would be much appreciated too. Thanks again to all who posted responses. I felt pretty alone until now!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First off so many congratulations are in order for jumping at 16mg and making it past 25days! That's amazing.
I take 16mg a day and decided to start tapering before jumping, but the fact that you made it through is encouraging.
I've been going back & fourth about taking benzo's when I start to have bad withdrawals. I have severe anxiety and insomnia subs or no subs, I take ambien for sleep and clonidine for blood pressure & it helps a lil with anxiety. At least stops my heart from pounding. Withdrawing from opiates/suboxone raises your blood pressure so maybe getting a prescription for clonidine will help with anxiety and sleep. Its not addictive, if you take it like I do for high blood pressure then your not supposed to abruptly stop it. But if your prescribed it for withdrawals (as I have been in the past before I was on it for blood pressure) you can take it through the withdrawals and stop without any dependence to it. So it may be a good alternative to a benzo. Although its a prescription medication, its nonaddictive.
As far as your migraines, my mom gets horrible cluster headaches and she recently started getting botox in and around her forehead. It relieves pressure on the nerves in your forehead that can cause migraines. Just from having it done 1 time my mom felt a lot of long term relief from it. Once it wears off you have to go back, but she's been having very little pain for months. I don't know if you've tried this, but if you have multiple migraines in one week then insurance will cover it. It's worth a try.
I'm new to this forum too, and if you ever need someone to talk to you can always message me.
Good luck! You are doing great and I think its pretty clear that your going to make it through the withdrawals without relapsing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh also, my friend recently got clean and he said he started being able to sleep and wake up with energy after about a month from the day he stopped cold turkey. He didn't take anything but immodium and OTC sleeping pills (benadryl). Everyone is different, but I think most people agree that the physical withdrawals are pretty much over after a month or 2. My friend said that after a month and a few nights of being able to sleep he woke up and felt great, like a million times better than waking up and taking a sub. He looks so healthy, and he really has his life back. He said he feels things a lot more now, sadness and happiness. But he's glad just to feel normal.
I also suffer from depression, I have since long before taking drugs, and I'm afraid that withdrawing will cause me to be very anxious and depressed. But I hope that once I'm through everything and clean that I'll be able to focus on dealing with anxiety and depression instead of trying to mask it with drug use.