It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So Suboxone is a great drug and everything, but I hear the withdrawal is worse than opiates. I am starting to feel some sort of normalcy is my spirit and motivation. It is quickly halted by a energy sapping feel. Any movements takes a great deal of strength. I am a healthy 22 y.o male in good strength too. I was on it for a year and a half. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What dose did you stop at? How are you doing now? Most people say that WDs start at about day 4. Having done it once myself, my personal opinion is that going off Sub is not even in the same league as going off full agonists. Others may disagree. Giving us a little more info. on yourself would help us give you appropriate advice. Good luck.
Lilly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Formoso wrote:
So Suboxone is a great drug and everything, but I hear the withdrawal is worse than opiates. I am starting to feel some sort of normalcy is my spirit and motivation. It is quickly halted by a energy sapping feel. Any movements takes a great deal of strength. I am a healthy 22 y.o male in good strength too. I was on it for a year and a half. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ahhh, ok. First of all, Suboxone is an opiate. It's a partial agonist (which means it is both an agonist [activates receptors] and anatagonist [blocks receptors]), as opposed to a full agonist, e.g. heroin or morphine, which would only activate receptors.

Anyway, people saying Suboxone withdrawal is worse than full agonist withdrawal have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. They've either never actually gone through a full agonist wiithdrawal, or they just like to complain and whine.

Suboxone withdrawal is most assuredly not as bad as a full agonist withdrawal.

How many mg were you taking a day, and how long have you been off of it now?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I went to rehab and they cut me off at 2mg. Today was my 6th day off and I felt I had a little more energy, except I went into a deep depressive state. Yeah it definitely isn't as bad as coming off a full agonist. Is the depression normal though?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My 7th day started off alright was still sluggish but it was my first day getting stuff done with setting up all my recovery plan and getting my insurance going. That night I started to feel great, wasn't tired,depressed or anything I've been feeling which was a great release and motivator. Today I pulled myself out of bed at 7AM to complete my outpatient set up with the help of an XL coffee and a 5 hour energy shot. Was a little lethargic but not too bad. I got home and took a nap and woke up feeling sluggish and slightly lethargic with depression. Until now just been sitting around not having much zest for anything. I'm definitely on an emotional roller coaster.

Is the depression normal? It usually hits as soon as I awaken but dims a bit throughout the day. The lethargy though, is constant.

Last question. Has anyone been on suboxone for long term maintenance 8 months plus maybe. Just so I can have someone who has had the drug in them for close to the same time as myself. Any info or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated, no matter your time on the drug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Formoso wrote:
I went to rehab and they cut me off at 2mg. Today was my 6th day off and I felt I had a little more energy, except I went into a deep depressive state. Yeah it definitely isn't as bad as coming off a full agonist. Is the depression normal though?

Your rehab cut you off Suboxone? That personally doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but I am not a doctor. The rehab I went to was where I first started taking it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah they used their tapering method and ended my doses with 2mgs. I personally think that is still a leap, but if they broke them down any smaller they'd be breaking the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

At one point I went off of Subs at 2mg (I'm back on them now). The depression was the main symptom I experienced, along with the lethargy. I really don't know how to advise you, as I solved the issue by going back on Subs ( I really wasn't ready to go off, and I was in a very dark place emotionally). Is the rehab place you went to still treating you? Maybe you would benefit from an antidepressant and/or depression counseling.
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say they would be breaking the law, but I'm guessing you mean RB's policy of telling people not to cut the pills. I can assure you that people cut the pills all the time, and the doc on this site advises people to taper to something like 0.125mg before stopping.
Now that you are on day 7 you are probably over the worst of it, so I am not suggesting you go back on and taper. I DO however believe the depression is the real thing, and you and I aren't not the only ones who have experienced this as a withdrawal effect for sure. So treat it seriously like you would treat any other mental illness - definitely speak to a professional about it. I truly wish you good luck.
Lilly

P.S. I've been on Sub for 20 months. Many of the folks here have been on for a year+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

They said it would be against Pharmacy rules to tamper with the meds. They gave us the strips in rehab so cutting them proved incredibly difficult, as they dissolve just from the oil on your hands. The doctor did say if the withdrawal effects were too unbearable they would put me back on. I however, turned that option down. I just am trying to get this behind me as fast as possible, so I can start being myself again. The depression and lethargy though are def. the biggest problem and its not consistent either. One day I'll feel alright the next back into that dark state which as I'm sure your aware of is the worst place for us addicts to be. Today is my 11th day off and I just woke up and I'm feeling alright where as yesterday was a bad day. I start at Aldie drug and alcohol center tomorrow and soon there after with a one on one psych. So hopefully they can help me with all that. Thank you so much for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

First of all the depression is totally normal and unfortuantely it probably won't go away for a while. The good news is that it should get better and more off and on. So you have to try to enjoy and maximize the times you aren't depressed and get through the times you are knowing "this too shall pass"!

I don't want to discourage you but also want you to know that it's normal so you don't freak out and go back on. My depression after getting off sub lasted a good couple of months. It does go away in full eventually and your energy and zeal for life will return in full. GOing through a few rough months is worth it 100%. Don't give in.

Work out, eat healthy, sleep when you can, take vitamins, and take heart knowing you're getting better each day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

im tapering right now and im at .5 mg and my depression and anxiety started several weeks ago. you may want to see about getting on an anti deppressant or something to help anxiety just for a temporary period while you adjust to living without subs. i know that i got on one recently and it has helped my mood aswings, anxiewty and sadness. i am not the type of person that needs anti depressants either but i def need them at this point because i want to get off the subs. i have been on subs for 1.5 years as well. and im in my late 20;s;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the input everyone, its helped tremendously. I start to see a psychiatrist at a Drug and Alcohol center this week. I'm def. going to get put on an anti-depressant for a few months. I'm taking Klonopin and Clonodine at the moment for anxiety which is helping a great deal. This is my 13th day and each day gets a little better. I try to force myself to do something during the day, anything to try and keep my mind occupied which also helps a lot. I must say that knowing this can last for more than a month is a bit disheartening, but than I think of all the time I put into getting high and how long that torture went on only to have no end in sight. So that definitely helps with the mental battle. Good luck Bitzy!

Post subject: question
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Formoso wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone, its helped tremendously. I start to see a psychiatrist at a Drug and Alcohol center this week. I'm def. going to get put on an anti-depressant for a few months. I'm taking Klonopin and Clonodine at the moment for anxiety which is helping a great deal. This is my 13th day and each day gets a little better. I try to force myself to do something during the day, anything to try and keep my mind occupied which also helps a lot. I must say that knowing this can last for more than a month is a bit disheartening, but than I think of all the time I put into getting high and how long that torture went on only to have no end in sight. So that definitely helps with the mental battle. Good luck Bitzy!

did you say you were on sub for over a year, jumped at 2mg and only felt depression and lethargy?? so no major w.d??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did get some major w.d symptoms, chills and sweats,restlessness, stomach problems, and no energy at all. It only lasted a few days though. After that all it really has been is depression and lethargy. I'm on day 20 now and for the past three days that's all I felt, to the point where I don't want to see or talk to anyone. I return to work on the 1st and am hoping it picks up a little bit as my performance would probably be lacking in this state. I have started taking Wellbutrin I had left over from when I quit smoking before and started to take that in hopes to elevate my mood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Formoso wrote:
I did get some major w.d symptoms, chills and sweats,restlessness, stomach problems, and no energy at all. It only lasted a few days though. After that all it really has been is depression and lethargy. I'm on day 20 now and for the past three days that's all I felt, to the point where I don't want to see or talk to anyone. I return to work on the 1st and am hoping it picks up a little bit as my performance would probably be lacking in this state. I have started taking Wellbutrin I had left over from when I quit smoking before and started to take that in hopes to elevate my mood.

Wow only a few days sounds amazing to me, as with other stuff it felt like forever.
I take an antidepressant and I know it really helps me. Maybe you can see a doc for a new script of something? Lexapro works wonders for my husband.
Good luck and thank you for responding/updating us!