It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: day 5 off suboxone-less
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just went off suboxone sun may 24th. I suprisingly had hardly any withdrawal symptoms. Last time i tried to get off suboxone it was pretty rough but i wasn't really doing things the right way. This time i tapered down to .5 mgs and stopped. Mentally i feel really good but i have had 2 major problems.

For the past 4-5 days i have had really bad back pain. first it was lower back pain now i got pain in my lower back and in the middle of my back, i have tried all types of over the counter pain relief, asprin, tylenol, ibuprofen etc..(none work)I never had any back problems before i started using opiates. also i have had this problem with having 2 urinate every 20 mins. it drives me crazy. some times even after i piss i still feel like i gotta piss but i can't go. even if don't drink any thing it doesn't seem to help at all. if i don't drink any thing it just makes me have to piss but hardly any thing comes out.

I am posting this because one it kinda helps me to feel a little better talking about it with other people going thru similar problems. Also i was posting because i am curious if any one else has had these same problems when they went off suboxone. The urination thing has plagued me ever since i got down 2 about 1 mg. Any feed back would be really appriciated. I am starting to get worried i really have something wrong with my back and i am also starting to get worried that i have something wrong with my bladder like cancer or something crazy. I talked about the urination with my doctor but she didn't seem 2 know very much about it. She said she had never heard of it but i have seen some talk about it on this forum.

I feel so lucky, the first time i tried to stop suboxone i have physical withdrawal for about 3-4 days and then a really bad mental withdrawal anxiety and depression, but this time i didn't have any of that. Last time i never made it through the withdrawal. This time i feel confident i can do it but i just can't stand these 2 problems i can' sleep cause my back hurt sooooooo bad i have to roll around all night and then once i get comfortable i have to get up 2 take a piss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

makes me wonder, could it be your kidneys? I know that opiate abuse while using can make it hard to pee. My kid told me that even though she really had to go nothing would come out but this is while she was using. orry i have no real answer but I do know that kidney trouble or infection can cause some bad back pain in the lower back as well as a little higher up and to one side or the other. Just guessing but maybe it could be your kidneys..
Not to stress ya but after all, I'm digging for answers also and would like to know how long you were on subs the first time and how you weaned and how quick and also how you did it the second time and how much of a time span in between? Thank you if you can help me and I wish I knew more of how to help you. I have read alot of horror storied trying to come off. Seems like they say it drags out and is full of pain anxiety sleeplessness and fatigue. We need to find the stories of the peopel who did kick sub and see how bad it was. I have not found one post yet about kicking it was easy, just took me a month and I lead a normal life. Has that become unrealisic?? I pray no, my kid is just 19.

Post subject: In a similar situation
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:39 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello. First off I used Roxi's for about a 6 months, went off cold turkey, then went back on again. When I decided I could never ever ever be as sick as I was when I withdrew from the roxi's I turned to suboxone without doing much research until it came time for me to taper off of them completely. My doctor kept telling me that the w/d's would be mild/moderate for 3 days or so and I would just have to deal with it, she gave me clonidine (which I didnt use becuause my blood pressure was already low and I didnt have hot/cold sweats) and valium for the anxiety of tapering off the subs. I tapered down to .5 mg a day like you did because I thought it would make the withdrawals less horrendeous, but I decided to take my last dose the on Memorial Day so the symptoms wouldnt start until the following days and so I could enjoy the holiday since my brother is a veteran. Anyways..... I too had excruciating back pain, it started at the lower part of my back, then kept moving from upper too lower. I was amazed how well I felt minus this back pain. I had restless legs the first day as well but I have that anyways. The first time I withdrew cold turkey, my only saving grace were the icy hot back patches that helped my back pain, but even those did nothing for my pain this time. I did use a heating pad and it reduced the pain a little. As for the urination problems I have read on the prescription paper they gave me a my doctor that urination problems are associated with suboxone, but to me it sounds like a urinary tract infection (though those are much more common in women then men) The part that makes me the most mad about your post was when you said you told your doctor that you were having urination problems and he/she acts like this is some stange thing they have never heard of before.....why couldnt they just look into it, ask around, and find some way to help you!!!!!! Though I am happy with my suboxone detox it has made me very leary of doctors, and from now on I will always look into my doctors, and get second, third, and fourth opinions. Good luck with your contiuning sub detox!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I stopped Suboxone once at 8mg/day! It was on a withdrawal scale about 6/10. It takes 3 days to set in, then on day 3 I had gooseflesh, runny nose, sneezing, no appetite, back aches, crying spells (the worst part), yawning. I had about 2 days where I barely slept because of the RLS. About day 6 is was better and I could sleep so I was at least a bit relieved about that. Over the next few weeks I had some chills (I always felt cold too), the mood swings, no appetite, yawns, and anxiety. I can't see how someone can really measure the duration though, and I think some of it was PAWS (post acute withdrawal) so its hard to say for certain when withdrawal actually ended. I had clonidine for BP so I was taking that and Atarax (Hydroxyzine) for the anxiety. I don't really think the clonidine helped all that much, but it did make me tired which helped.

I found it overall to be easy to stop, easier than I thought. Its easy to stop honestly its hard to stay that way!

A few years ago when I was on agonists I made an error and took a lunesta instead of my morphine (the pills look nearly identical). I didn't get tired or anything at first, and I got the bad taste in my mouth. Anyway, I didn't realize the error until late that evening when I was about to take my second dose. I had by then sweats and the runs from withdrawal.

My point is, when you don't know its withdrawal, it really doesn't seem so bad. I didn't dwell on it because I didn't know it was actually withdrawal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hooktits wrote:
I just went off suboxone sun may 24th. I suprisingly had hardly any withdrawal symptoms. Last time i tried to get off suboxone it was pretty rough but i wasn't really doing things the right way. This time i tapered down to .5 mgs and stopped. Mentally i feel really good but i have had 2 major problems.

For the past 4-5 days i have had really bad back pain. first it was lower back pain now i got pain in my lower back and in the middle of my back, i have tried all types of over the counter pain relief, asprin, tylenol, ibuprofen etc..(none work)I never had any back problems before i started using opiates. also i have had this problem with having 2 urinate every 20 mins. it drives me crazy. some times even after i piss i still feel like i gotta piss but i can't go. even if don't drink any thing it doesn't seem to help at all. if i don't drink any thing it just makes me have to piss but hardly any thing comes out.

I am posting this because one it kinda helps me to feel a little better talking about it with other people going thru similar problems. Also i was posting because i am curious if any one else has had these same problems when they went off suboxone. The urination thing has plagued me ever since i got down 2 about 1 mg. Any feed back would be really appriciated. I am starting to get worried i really have something wrong with my back and i am also starting to get worried that i have something wrong with my bladder like cancer or something crazy. I talked about the urination with my doctor but she didn't seem 2 know very much about it. She said she had never heard of it but i have seen some talk about it on this forum.

I feel so lucky, the first time i tried to stop suboxone i have physical withdrawal for about 3-4 days and then a really bad mental withdrawal anxiety and depression, but this time i didn't have any of that. Last time i never made it through the withdrawal. This time i feel confident i can do it but i just can't stand these 2 problems i can' sleep cause my back hurt sooooooo bad i have to roll around all night and then once i get comfortable i have to get up 2 take a piss.

Another thing about the uriniating..

When on sub, I had a lot of issues with the plumbing. I'd suddenly feel the urge to go and I'd have to go right now! sort of thing. It just crept up on me. Opiates can cause contraction of the urethra. Also, I had troubles in the sex department, called 'retrograde ejaculation', which is related to the same thing really.

I wouldn't worry about your pee problems. Its easy to think the worst though especially if you're anxious. Give it some more time to pass. Your body may just be adjusting to the changes and things are a little wacky right now. Maybe now you are even feeling better? Let us know how you're doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I figured i would post a reply in hopes that it would help others who are worried about going off. The first response i got seemed worried about going off as i was so i figured i would give my history of opiate use. I have been using opiates for about 4 years, but really it has been 3 years of daily opiate use of some kind. So any ways i started with percocets and what ever i could get my hands on oxys and stuff. at around 2 year mark i was already getting tired of having my life ran by drugs so i went to a doctor get on suboxone.

However at that time i wasn't really ready 2 stop i had sooo many friends around my who used and i had this stupid idea in my head that i would stop and get clean and just do it every once in a while. So any ways about 6 months of being on suboxone no cheating i started screwing around, i would skip my dose on thursday so i could use friday saturday and sunday then go back on monday. I used suboxone as a crutch just to keep from getting sick. I didn't have it in me to admit to my doctor that i have screwed up because i had become such good friends with him so i lied and told him that i was doing good. Finally i told him i was ready to stop and i got my last script. Keep in mind i had been cheating just about every weekend. This whole cheating think went on for 6 months after i had been on suboxone for 6 months with no screw ups. So basicly for a year i was on and off suboxone. well towards the end i got my shit together and dosed my self down 2 .5 mgs and went off since i told the doctor i was done. Well i made it about 7 days thru my first suboxone withdrawal (mind u i had been cheating). I had all the typicall going off sub stories, anxiety, depression, not to much physical but very mentally draining. Plus i had no energy.

So anyways at that 7 day mark i gave up i said 2 my self " i can't get off this shit it would be easier 2 just get back on the drugs and try and taper down" so i went back to using opiates oxys what ever i could get my hands any kinda pain killers. I had pretty high tolerence i remember taking 8 60 mg morphine pills at once and just feeling slightly messed up. So i kept using for about about another 6 months after i went off suboxone the first time. I finally got fed up once again and said i gotta get my self clean so i tried something weird, i ordered tramadols off the internet and tried 2 dose my self down like suboxone. I got pretty close but every one knows its almost impossible 2 dose your self down using a full agonist. So i went 2 using the tramadol as a crutch yet again. and using oxys and what ever.

Well finally i am getting to the end of my story current day. So i started going really broke because i owned my own company and work was very slow with the economey. So i started buying herion and snorting it daily cause it was cheaper then painkillers. this went on for a few months. Finally i hit a bottom which 2 me was very important. I was getting soo far in debt it was really hurting me. I had been hiding this secret from my family for 3 1/2 years. Then my girl friend of 7 yrs left me. however she was supportive, she left me for my best friend who was also a user. For about 1 month after i got really bad on herion snorting about 80$ worth a day(not scramble for those who know what that is). Then finally i realized that this had end.

So i admitied to my parents, hardest thing i ever had to do because i had no one left to help me. Then i went back on suboxone. My doctor told me 2 start with 16 mgs, i felt comfortable no WD at 8 mgs in a period of about 5-6 months i dosed my self comfortable down 2 .5mgs again!!!. The last week i was on .5mgs i hardly even felt like it was working but it must have been because i didn't feel horrible. So any ways 2 weeks ago i went off the suboxone. like i stated in the original post. At my suprise, i felt like hardly any withdrawal, i felt i had been spared. but then about 2-3 days in the back pain started and the frequent urination feeling like i have to go every 20 mins. so im on like 13 days in and i still have the back pain and the urine problem, but compared 2 the first time i stoped this seemed nothing like the typical suboxone withdrawal i experenced the first time. Althought i feel the pissing and back pain is really beating on my spirit. I feel very luck that this time it was nothing like the first time i tried to go off.

This is a very long post and i don't have time 2 spell check it but i put this hear because i know there were many times i surfed the internet looking for answers like many of you are now. I could probably add another 1/2 page in little details but mostly insignificant.

I would like to conclude with the following for those worried about going off subs. things that i think helped me have a much easier experience

1. even though i am an addict for the most part i wasn't the type to really try and push the limits. I know some addicts who when they get high they just can't have be happy with just 80 mgs of oxy they gotta do 3 of them and get so messed up they don't even know whats going on. I wasn't like that i always would take what i needed to do the job feel euphoria yes but not over doing it like some people. Not that this makes me any better i am just trying to state my experiences with opiates and try and conclude why i experienced very little withdrawal.

2. Althought the doc would probably disagree, the second time i was on suboxone, i was on it for a shorter time. I started at 8 mgs, my doctor said 2 take 16 but i told her i felt fine at 8 so she said if you feel fine then stick with it. almost 2 or 3 weeks later i comfortable with 4 mgs and then another month later i was comfortable at 2mgs for the last couple months i spent going from 2 to .5. Some people feel that you need to be on them longer because there is higher chance of relapse. I personally felt that once i hit that low and with the support of my family i feel i have my mind made up that i no longer want 2 use and i never can use again because it always leads down the same path.

Im 25 years old , i have my own company, i have alot 2 live for so in that i find strength 2 want to get my life in order.

(once again the purpose of this post was to help those who worried about the withdrawals of going of suboxone, i just wanted to tell my story in hopes that it helps others.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Don't worry about the back pain, it's a natural part of withdrawing off opiates. Yes it sucks. Sometimes I used to feel almost fine, were it not for the back pain which used to kill me and have me constantly move in whatever chair I was in. It's also hard to focus on anything (eg. your job) when you're in pain.

As for the frequent urination, I'd bet that it's also due to withdrawals, although obviously this is just a guess. One of the first signs I'm going into withdrawals is an big urge to pee. And it's a strange pee. Can't explain it.

As regards #2 I think it depends on the individual. If you really want to stop, but if you REALLY REALLY want to stop, and have a support system and a life worth living, etc., then yes, a short suboxone course may just be the best option. But for some people, the easier they get off something, the easier they go back on it. Many people have this misguided notion of doing a week or two suboxone detox. They go on suboxone for a week or two, and expect to be cured of their illness. I don't think life is ever that easy. Addiction is anything BUT easy.

A long suboxone programme is good because it lets you live life free of your addiction, lets you put your life back together if you messed it up, and lets you prepare yourself well if you want to stop the medication. For those who decide to be on it for the long haul, it lets them live their lives the way normal people do, which in and of itself is a miracle cure. Yes, you're still putting something in your body, but put a heroin addict and a suboxone patient next to each other and tell me which one has the better quality of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just wanted to say I hope the withdrawal goes better for you. Mine was very rough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:10 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just wanted to let you know the same exact symptoms happen to me when I stop. I get terrible back pain and constant urination like I have a urinary tract infection. I'm a male though. My best guess is the suboxone does have muscle relaxing attributes and you're body is so use to this that when you go off your kidneys / bladder need to adjust aswell. I hope that you get some positive results you can post up as this is what really bothers me when I try to quit is the constant urination especially when you're at work and you're going to the bathroom every 20-40 mins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:20 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I, too, am on day 5 from stopping suboxone. I have been taking it for the last year and was down to taking crumbs. Not real sure how much it actually was but I would guess .5mg or so per day. August 1 was the last time I had any sub and I've been on some type of opiate for about 3 years now.

I'm noticing similar leg/back pains. For me part of that is typical as I've always had leg pains--the back pains are an added bonus, lol.

Overall I have to admit it hasn't been so bad yet. I timed it so that if it gets bad it should be over the weekend but so far it hasn't been anywhere near what I've been through with other opiates. I would expect that if I haven't had any huge problems by day 10-12 I should be done. The cold sweats have already stopped and I've gotten 6 or so hours of sleep pretty much every night. I'm still expecting some sort of symptoms that are a lot worse than I've had so far but I guess we'll see. I'm pretty weak but nothing too bad.

Good luck!